Overcharging the battery

kalyko99

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I've honestly gone through tons of posts on this forum about this and can't find the answer, so I do apologize if this has been discussed before.
Just purchased a 928 and wanted to know if when charging the battery and it reaches 100%....will it quit charging or will it continue to charge and eventually wreck the battery or reduce it's life?
Thank you in advance

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Your phone might blow up if you overcharge it atleast 5 minutes more after it reaches 100%, be aware, it's quite common

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Your phone might blow up if you overcharge it atleast 5 minutes more after it reaches 100%, be aware, it's quite common

you sound serious...
Anyway, with my experience, i know 100% in wp is more like 97%, if you charge it for a longer time after 100, it runs for a longer time at 100.. Doesn't mean try it, i know its not safe, I'm telling about when i forgot to take it off. But the risk isn't that big. Another thing, i know laptops quit charging after 100%. Not sure about phones though.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Not safe? Nonsense!

Now, there is usually a slight capacity between 100% reported and 100% actual, the slow trickle will fill that. Otherwise though, the charging electronics will monitor and keep the phone safe.

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys insane? OF COURSE IT IS SAFE !!!

I charge my phone overnight, so its on charge at least 8 hours! And my L620 lasts longer when i charge it longer! Sound strange, but thats how it is...battteries cant overcharge, otherwiese ppl would be dead every day

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you guys insane? OF COURSE IT IS SAFE !!!

I charge my phone overnight, so its on charge at least 8 hours! And my L620 lasts longer when i charge it longer! Sound strange, but thats how it is...battteries cant overcharge, otherwiese ppl would be dead every day

my friend destroyed his ps3 controller when he put it on his pc and played, and it overcharged so much that the battery got destroyed. No blasts though.

But dont worry too much, its okay to charge it for a longer duration. Just that dont let it heat up, heat spoils the battery life (read this for laptop).

Last edited:

kalyko99

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
lots of information there...thank you all. I do not like to 'overcharge' it but it does happen once in a while. Since the battery is not replaceable on the 928, I didn't want to shorten the life of the battery where it only lasts a few hours and then has to be charged again.
Again, thanks

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You didnt understand. Again:

YOU CAN NOT OVERCHARGE YOUR BATTERY!

Batteries dont like extreme situations. Too cold, too hot, too long on charge (we talk about days/wekks not hours), or too long at 0%.

So do whatever you want with your battery. And like i said, i charge mine over night 8 hours almost every day. And my battery is perfectly fine for over 6 months.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
So much mis-information out there and even on these forums. NO, you can't overcharge your battery and it fact, it's best to keep it charged up instead of letting it run down.

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. Like I said, charged for too long is also bad. Just read MY comment and do what I say. You're welcome

L620 - Tapatalk

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
There are charge controllers in these phones so overcharging shouldn't be a problem. With that said, parts can fail and result in fried electronics. I place my phone on a qi charger throughout the day and at night and have not noticed any problems with overcharging or loss of battery life.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
There are charge controllers in these phones so overcharging shouldn't be a problem. With that said, parts can fail and result in fried electronics. I place my phone on a qi charger throughout the day and at night and have not noticed any problems with overcharging or loss of battery life.

are you sure about the charge controller thing ? I need solid info about its existence.

Checki

Banned
Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
??? Of course there are! What do you think how charging works??? You need basic information, why don't you just google or Bing your information??!!

Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro2_357 using Tapatalk

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
??? Of course there are! What do you think how charging works??? You need basic information, why don't you just google or Bing your information??!!

Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro2_357 using Tapatalk
firstly, as i mentioned before, charge controllers aren't ubiquitous. My friend who destroyed his ps3 controller learnt it the hard way that ps3 controller+ps3=controlled charging, but with pc=no controlled charging.

Secondly bing and google return useless results when you dont know the exact term for something. besides, i was hoping for just a 'yes'/'no', wouldn't have taken much time... Anyway, thanks ! :) be happy ! :)

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Holy cow BATMAN!!!! I can't remember a time when I was suppose to remove a phone from charge. I think it was about 3 years, maybe more. When cell phones first came out, you had to let it discharge 3 complete cycles. But newer batteries are made different, no more cycling, normally they will last 5,000 charging hours. It does not matter if it is 10 minutes or 1 hour, it all comes off the charge life. I plug mine in at 9 and remove it at 5. Never a problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99