928 vs new windows phones?

dayoungtx

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I've had the 928 for about four months now. I consider it a very good phone, although not the best windows phone I've used (still think that the 920 is a bit snappier), but overall I've been quite satisfied with it. The new phones that have been released, particularly the Icon and the 930 look pretty sexy though. Just wondering what people think about how the 928 stacks up against the newer models??

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 and 928 have similar specs , 928 has xenon flash where as 920 has dual led flash . Both the devices are snappy (thanks to windows phone optimized well for such hardware ).
I have a Lumia 920 which I have now planned to use it 2 more years , it will get windows phone 8.1 and I know it wont lag like android devices does (now ios is doing the same eg ios 7 on older devices ) Lumia 928 vs new phones , umm icon and Lumia 930 are identical (don't know if Lumia 930 supports glance or not ) , both have same specs (lumia 930 does not have expandable storage ) . if you want to have the latest phone , you can get one of them but if you satisfied with your 928 , you can keep it for 1 more year ;)

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
928 is exactly the same as 925 and 920, except for AMOLED vs LCD (920) and Xenon flash. It should be just as snappy, it has the same ship, same RAM same memory even.
I know how WP8 works on 620 and 720, and it's just as smooth (with a little extra loading times) as my 925, but the 1520 (same HW ad 930) I tried once (brand new) was super smooth, practically no loading screens. Yes, WP flies on quad core, but it still flies on dual cores as well.
1520 and 930 (and Icon) are the new flagships of WP, but 92x and 1020 are still going strong. Remember that most selling WP devices are the most low specd, so if developers are smart, they'll optimize their apps for those phones, which means you can easily enjoy your 928 for an extra year (or more) and get the 935 or whatever is released next.
If I had money to burn, I'd preorder the orange 930 right away (but only if it has glance), but I don't, so I'll stick with my 925 for another year and a half until my contract runs out. I'll see what's new then, and I suggest you do the same :)
And yes, you'll get the latest and greatest WP and all the updates to come on your 928, and once you get the extra row of tiles and that wallpaper, it'll feel like new phone again :)
And you have xenon flash on 928, which is 1000x more superior to LED flashes. Enjoy it until it lasts.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had a 928 since launch day. It still works GREAT for me. I have no complaints whatsoever. You can't beat the Xenon flash. I take quite a few low light pics and that flash has no equal. I don't care for the larger size handsets. 4.3 is prob the biggest I would ever want to go. I actually love the size of the iPhone 5. So for me, I think the 928 is still great!

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't care for the larger size handsets. 4.3 is prob the biggest I would ever want to go.
FYI, The 928 has a 4.5 display.
In reply to the OP, the Icon is the only Verizon/Nokia alternative at this time. At $200, without Glance screen or Xenon flash, the 928 is a no-brainer.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Have 928 with 8.1 and love it but going to get the Icon as soon as possible... It's just a bigger, speedier 928 without the z-flash... I can live without it...

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I have a little pride in my 928 but I really think this phone is only second to the Lumia 1020. The Icon has the hardware that makes it a little faster ( 8.1 OS as a whole is still buttery smooth on my 928) but its lacking glance and a xenon flash. The 20mp camera is great but I still think the 928 has more low light capabilities because of the higher aperture and the xenon flash. Also because WP 8.1 brought 3 rows of tiles, the screen functionality is the same. After a day, the smaller tile size doesn't seem that small.
I also think the screen freeze issue was fixed. If your screen still freezes you just need to replace it with a refurbished/new one. If I had a choice, Id still go with the 928 over the Icon especially since the 928 is so much cheaper to buy straight up. The only major advantage the Icon has is its better build quality. It feels much more solid than my 928.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
So wait, the screen freeze is an issue that comes up alot? I opened a ticket with Nokia to have it repaired. Who knows if they will repair it. But the phone is awesome with 8.1 and my craze to replace it cooled off after getting 3 tiles on same screen. Just annoying that the screen freezes. I really hope the screen gets fixed or repaired properly or they give me a replacement device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos