Music library on my 928

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is a really basic question to which I ought to know the answer, but I'm posing it anyway...

I have a 928, which means no micro SD card and only 32gb of storage. How on earth am I supposed to have a music library on my phone? I currently have about 1GB of space available.

I'm assuming the answer is OneDrive? But, if I connect to my computer, can I move all my songs up to the cloud? None of them was purchased via xBox music or Nokia music, it's all stuff I got from either iTunes, Amazon Music, or uploaded from CDs.

Obviously, I don't want to repurchase all my music again. Will OneDrive and Xbox/Nokia music and my existing library all play nice together?

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is a really basic question to which I ought to know the answer, but I'm posing it anyway...

I have a 928, which means no micro SD card and only 32gb of storage. How on earth am I supposed to have a music library on my phone? I currently have about 1GB of space available.

I'm assuming the answer is OneDrive? But, if I connect to my computer, can I move all my songs up to the cloud? None of them was purchased via xBox music or Nokia music, it's all stuff I got from either iTunes, Amazon Music, or uploaded from CDs.

Obviously, I don't want to repurchase all my music again. Will OneDrive and Xbox/Nokia music and my existing library all play nice together?

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can offer!

Is your music in a high-quality lossless format? (like above 20MB per song) if so as long as you don't have a particularly expensive set of headphones that you listen to music through, you could probably downconvert it to a smaller file size in AAC or something. If you just have a sheer amount of music (and you've culled back through all of it), unfortunately Xbox Music doesn't have a similar cloud locker service like Google Play Music, but they are apparently working on that. If you don't need all your music with you, you could always create a UPnP server and stream it around the house

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I don't actually know what a lot of that means. :grin:

I have a bunch of MP3 files on my computer. I'd like to be able to listen to them on my phone when I'm away from home, but I have very limited space remaining of its 32GB. There's the system files and bloatware and the apps, and beyond that, I tend to like to have as much room as possible for photos and videos. I use the camera a lot, and I do have my camera roll automatically backup to OneDrive, so I do go thru and delete pics/vids every now and then from the phone to free up space, but I like to have that space available for new pics/vids and for keeping some on the phone.

Maybe it's just a matter of more actively managing/monitoring the space on my phone, and copying over songs and deleting them back off on an as-needed basis. As it stands I don't hook my phone up to my computer very often...

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There should only be a couple few GB of system files (mine currently holds 2.48 GB system files), and not much bloatware to speak of - perhaps VZ Navigator and some other unnecessary apps.

Go to Apps > Settings > Storage Check
Let it calculate then swipe left for details

If Apps are taking up most of your space, you may want to go through and see which are the large ones and decide whether you really need those. Also remove any that you don't use.

Review your maps data. You may want to delete all maps and only download & store your region for maps. I have my state and a few surrounding states (275 MB).

Clear the temporary files, though that really shouldn't account for much space.

If media and files are taking up most of your space, then back up pictures, videos, large files and remove them from the phone. You should be able to fit plenty of mp3 files, even at a high bit rate. Not sure what method you are using to load music on your phone, but make sure that you are not moving any extraneous files along with the mp3 files.

Hope this helps to free up some space. Good luck.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
There should only be a couple few GB of system files (mine currently holds 2.48 GB system files), and not much bloatware to speak of - perhaps VZ Navigator and some other unnecessary apps.

Go to Apps > Settings > Storage Check
Let it calculate then swipe left for details

If Apps are taking up most of your space, you may want to go through and see which are the large ones and decide whether you really need those. Also remove any that you don't use.

Review your maps data. You may want to delete all maps and only download & store your region for maps. I have my state and a few surrounding states (275 MB).

Clear the temporary files, though that really shouldn't account for much space.

If media and files are taking up most of your space, then back up pictures, videos, large files and remove them from the phone. You should be able to fit plenty of mp3 files, even at a high bit rate. Not sure what method you are using to load music on your phone, but make sure that you are not moving any extraneous files along with the mp3 files.

Hope this helps to free up some space. Good luck.

Might be a good point to add - make sure you aren't accidentally copying over duplicate songs!!! Happened to me once, and I was wondering for an hour why I had run out of space on my 1020 :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo