Cracked Screen, screen broken, phone still functions, able to retrieve files?

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
My 928, which I had for a few months was dropped by a friend of mine. The screen is cracked, but is not functioning (sometimes you're still able to use the screen...not in this case). You're only able to see half the screen, and the touch interaction doesn't work.

The phone, outside of the screen, still works. Went to VZW store, and best option was to get a new phone. I got an Icon, which I like so far. But, I have a bunch of files on the old phone that I'd like off of it. I was only able to get access to a few folders when plugging it into my computer (basically just media). Is there a way to access the other files and folders on the phone? Is there a Windows developer tool that lets you do that? I'm part of the developer preview program, and was wondering if I could download a program through that that might let me do that. Through my brief searching I haven't come across anything, though...

Also frustrating since the phone itself functions outside of the screen. Wish there was a way to plug in the phone into a computer and interact with it that way...

Let me know if you guys know of anything that could help me in this. Thanks for any feedback!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking to wipe the phone, d/l the service manual, that will allow you to wipe it w/o the screen (button combination) ... or, you can (remotely) wipe it, using find my phone.

If you're interested in files (other than media) what are you looking for ?
Do you have a backup ?
What files are we talking about ?

Possibly Nokia Care Suite ... ?

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
My 928, which I had for a few months was dropped by a friend of mine. The screen is cracked, but is not functioning (sometimes you're still able to use the screen...not in this case). You're only able to see half the screen, and the touch interaction doesn't work.

The phone, outside of the screen, still works. Went to VZW store, and best option was to get a new phone. I got an Icon, which I like so far. But, I have a bunch of files on the old phone that I'd like off of it. I was only able to get access to a few folders when plugging it into my computer (basically just media). Is there a way to access the other files and folders on the phone? Is there a Windows developer tool that lets you do that? I'm part of the developer preview program, and was wondering if I could download a program through that that might let me do that. Through my brief searching I haven't come across anything, though...

Also frustrating since the phone itself functions outside of the screen. Wish there was a way to plug in the phone into a computer and interact with it that way...

Let me know if you guys know of anything that could help me in this. Thanks for any feedback!

You are uniquely screwed. Unless you AutoSaved to OneDrive, the phone wont let you in from the computer. Try project my screen....you can use your mouse to control the phone and see it on the monitor, then download FilEx

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Did you back up to OneDrive?

Try project my screen? You may need to initiate this from phone though and you said you cannot use touch screen, too bad.

WP doesn't like to let you into internal files via computer.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site

If The problem is that the screen digitizer (the glass where touch is recognized) is broken and not the real lcd screen. You should go to nokia care and replace the screen. should cost you around $50- 70 approx.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
If The problem is that the screen digitizer (the glass where touch is recognized) is broken and not the real lcd screen. You should go to nokia care and replace the screen. should cost you around $50- 70 approx.

How do you assess this? The screen is mostly not responsive to touch (although some very small parts of the screen can respond to touch, but it isn't very useful). Also, half of the screen is showing no image, while one half is (the left side, where the screen was cracked, is out; while the right side looks normal). I read that the LCD and digitizer are one in the same on the 928, anyway...$50-70 seems low, from what I have read, I was thinking it would be closer to $100 (which is a little steep for a phone that I didn't even pay for with my contract).

I have considered getting the screen replaced, since the phone still works, and giving it to my brother (who is on the account). I also have the Icon now, and honestly...kind of miss the 928. The Icon is really nice, but it's just a tad large (reaching for the very top of the screen one-handed is a challange...), and I REALLY miss glance (this omission seems pretty ridiculous). I might even repair the 928 and give the Icon to my brother...either way, looking at repairing it, but $50-70 sounds cheap. Anyone replaced the screen themselves?

Did you back up to OneDrive?

Try project my screen? You may need to initiate this from phone though and you said you cannot use touch screen, too bad.

WP doesn't like to let you into internal files via computer.
You are uniquely screwed. Unless you AutoSaved to OneDrive, the phone wont let you in from the computer. Try project my screen....you can use your mouse to control the phone and see it on the monitor, then download FilEx

I backed up some stuff, but most application data was not. I actually didn't even know that you could back up application data. Just thought it was certain things, like media files. I will check out project my screen, but I imagine you need to interact with the phone to get it to work.

If you're looking to wipe the phone, d/l the service manual, that will allow you to wipe it w/o the screen (button combination) ... or, you can (remotely) wipe it, using find my phone.

If you're interested in files (other than media) what are you looking for ?
Do you have a backup ?
What files are we talking about ?

Possibly Nokia Care Suite ... ?

Just application file data. Nothing that is super critical, but it would be nice to have some of this data. Coming from Android, I liked being able to retrieve app data when switching phones...made the process smoother. I'll look into Nokia Care Suite.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Update: I tested out Project My Screen with my icon, and it works well. Will try my 928 later on tonight, I think I might be able to get it to work if I can get lucky and the screen recognizes my touch (it kind of registers things here and there, maybe if I press on it the right way...).

If that doesn't work, will explore other options, such as screen replacement (either officially, or by myself).

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, i thought it was only for the digitizer... i didnt have the exprience thought it would be like Lumia 620 which i had repaired. Sorry for the misinformation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb