Is the 928 still worth picking up?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd say yes, it is. It still has an excellent camera, superb call quality, and if the HTC 8x is any indication the 928 will run extremely well under Windows 8.1. The 8x runs BETTER under 8.1 than it did under 8 (smoother than both it and the 928 does under W8, about as well as the Icon), and I am in the process of trying it on the 928. W8 seems to be really REALLY easy on hardware, which is one reason I love it. So yes, by all means get it. It's a bargain.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd say yes, it is. It still has an excellent camera, superb call quality, and if the HTC 8x is any indication the 928 will run extremely well under Windows 8.1. The 8x runs BETTER under 8.1 than it did under 8 (smoother than both it and the 928 does under W8, about as well as the Icon), and I am in the process of trying it on the 928. W8 seems to be really REALLY easy on hardware, which is one reason I love it. So yes, by all means get it. It's a bargain.

Just as an aside, I also have the Z30. I think as far as being a PHONE, and in general a communications device, there is nothing out there that's better. Nothing. And unless you've tried one and taken the time to learn to use it, you have no idea what I mean. It's just phenomenal. From the sound quality of the handset to the way native email and messaging works, it's just tops. This from the guy who has an Icon, a Note 3, 8x, and had the iPhone 4s. So while I love WP8, the 8x, 928 and Icon, and I also love the Note 3, they just do not have the focus of the BB.

All that said, I think you're right about BB focus changing. It is far less consumer oriented than the old days. Back when I had the 9930 and Storm 2, there were far more really good apps available for OS6 and 7 than there are even today for BB10. That's not to say that it's not getting better - it is. Very slowly. And with the ability to load (most but not all, and the process is way harder than just, say, logging into the app store) Android apps, that makes it a bit better. So by mucking around with the Z30 I can do more or less what I want to do. But BB *has* to do exactly what it's doing. It's just too late in the game to make a dent in the commercial market. They don't have the presence or name recognition of Microsoft, who seems to be pulling it off, sorta. But I'm pulling for them. The more platforms there are to fight about, the more fun it will be :)

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Just as an aside, I also have the Z30. I think as far as being a PHONE, and in general a communications device, there is nothing out there that's better. Nothing. And unless you've tried one and taken the time to learn to use it, you have no idea what I mean. It's just phenomenal. From the sound quality of the handset to the way native email and messaging works, it's just tops. This from the guy who has an Icon, a Note 3, 8x, and had the iPhone 4s. So while I love WP8, the 8x, 928 and Icon, and I also love the Note 3, they just do not have the focus of the BB.

All that said, I think you're right about BB focus changing. It is far less consumer oriented than the old days. Back when I had the 9930 and Storm 2, there were far more really good apps available for OS6 and 7 than there are even today for BB10. That's not to say that it's not getting better - it is. Very slowly. And with the ability to load (most but not all, and the process is way harder than just, say, logging into the app store) Android apps, that makes it a bit better. So by mucking around with the Z30 I can do more or less what I want to do. But BB *has* to do exactly what it's doing. It's just too late in the game to make a dent in the commercial market. They don't have the presence or name recognition of Microsoft, who seems to be pulling it off, sorta. But I'm pulling for them. The more platforms there are to fight about, the more fun it will be :)

Spot on, my friend! I love my Z30 in many ways, and I think it is a fantastic device. I just think BlackBerry needs to go in a different direction if they want to survive. I also hope they continue to produce handsets, even as a niche player. The more competition, the better.

The stuff I'm reading about Kinect-like gestures coming to Windows Phone really fascinates me and gives me hope that Microsoft is in the smartphone market for the long-haul, even if they have to play 3rd fiddle for the foreseeable future.

Still looking for the right deal on a 928...

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

sicnus

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I got mine for 1$ many months ago via an Amazon special, just be patient. Its well worth it, it's a fine phone, IMHO.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a Lumia 810. Not much difference in size; still fits in my hand. Far better screen resolution and much more internal memory. Don't miss SD card. Far better reception and coverage with VZW in the country as opposed to the city - that's why I switched. Very pleased. Waiting for official 8.1.

berryaddictnoza

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey Newfangled, I'm another BlackBerry user about to switch to WP too. I have a Q10, and I'm fed up with it's double typing and how BlackBerry is ignoring the issue. I'll likely get the Icon, but considering the 928 too.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey Newfangled, I'm another BlackBerry user about to switch to WP too. I have a Q10, and I'm fed up with it's double typing and how BlackBerry is ignoring the issue. I'll likely get the Icon, but considering the 928 too.

Nice! You'll have to let me know what you end up getting and how you like it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I just to a Black Lumia 928 come back from Nokia Care - the volume up button was not working and they fixed it. If you are looking for the right price PM me, I'd be more than happy to help you out. I can send you pics if you PM me your email address as well.

rosserw2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I'd stay away, and absolutely stay away from used or refurbished. Too much of a crapshoot that you'll have the same audio drop-out issues with the earpiece that so many (including me) have experienced. They seem to come down to shoddy build quality, and sending the phone for repairs only works for a few weeks before the problem recurs. Peruse here and see how much you still want one.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm trying for a second time to get a 822. It's cheaper, has virtually the same internals, and an SD slot, as well. The first one I got worked great...except callers had a hard time hearing me on phone calls. Apparently that's not an uncommon issue for certain Lumia models. Something to do with a defective noise canceling mic.

Anyway, I'm relatively confident this second one I'm getting is in good condition, so we'll see what happens.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Other than the better processor and ram, its basically a wash.
-You gain a better camera but lose the xenon flash
-You gain a bigger screen but lose Glance
-WIth WP 8.1 the 928 gets three row tiles and everything else the ICON gets on the software end

Going from a 928 to an Icon is not really much of an upgrade. The better processor will speed up load times a little but the OS itself will feel just as fluid so it doesnt bother you.

I agree 100% with this statement. I went from a HTC 8X, to a 822 (for 3 days), to a 928 (had for months) and directly to a ICON (long story). The ICON's .5" display is noticeably larger but, the 928's was not small to start with. Windows Phone does not change per model (OS is the same, it's not customized per vendor like Andoid).

The display is better on the ICON but, your lose glance (minor impact on me but, I did like it), the 928's camera is awesome but, yea the ICON is a little better...CPU difference is not really noticeable accept on very few apps that might load a 1/2 a second quicker.

So, yea, I would say the 928 is still a very solid phone and worthy to pick up...

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying a 822 for a couple days now and I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed by the overall experience so far. I may just hang onto this for a while, at least until a 6" Lumia comes to Verizon.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I ended up putting 8.1 on the 928 and here's a surprise - the 928 is at the moment a better 8.1 phone than the Icon. The Icon runs 8,1 all right, but it does sometimes suffer from a wakeup delay that can last from nearly instant to 3-4 seconds. The 928 never does that. And once the Icon is awake, you won't notice any real difference in how the two perform. The 928 seems just as quick and fluid under WP8.1 as the Icon. So yes, definitely don't hesitate to get the 928. Turns out it's a gem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos