Power Button Broken

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So this one is most likely my fault. But it is very frustrating nonetheless, so I'm looking to you guys for advice. I've had my 928 for almost a year now, and it has been great. Also, it's pretty sturdy. It has taken a few falls, twice on the bottom right corner. The first time, the only damage was that the black plastic immediately surrounding the screen got bent upwards. (I have a white device). The second time, that bent piece of plastic actually was knocked off, so there is a small chunk of black plastic missing from that corner. I've also dropped it once or twice besides those times, but no other real physical damage is noticeable.

I've been having intermittent problems with the power button where it would stop unlocking the screen, and so I would keep pressing it and sometimes it would think I had held it and try to turn off. It was fine, because it happened infrequently and I thought it was just some sort of quirk with my device. However, recently the power button ceased to work altogether. It does nothing. I can't turn off the screen, and I can only turn it on by using double tap to wake or hitting the camera button. I now believe that maybe, in one of the two more traumatic falls, something internally got dislodged and now connections aren't being made. What makes me believe this even more is that sometimes, without me doing or pressing anything, it will enter a loop of "screen locks, then thinks I'm turning the phone off, then locks again" etc etc.

Do you think it's because I've dropped it? Also, is there ANY way Nokia would replace this under warranty? I've got like... a week left on my initial warranty. I know it's physical damage so I don't really know what to do. I don't have the money to replace the device :unhappysweat:

Thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There is no way in the world you are going to convince anyone (who is making the decision, that is) that this should be covered by the warranty. You've got a couple choices. Find a local repair shop and have them take a look and see if they can fix it, you can use it as is, or if you have insurance through Verizon (I'm assuming Verizon since it is a 928), use that and pay the deductible.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. That's what I assumed as well. I may find a local shop and see what they say.... I'm just using as-is for now, but the thought of using it this way for another year til I have an upgrade again is terrible. Haha

I think I have insurance through Verizon, but I can't even afford the $99 right now.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Try sending it to Nokia, you never know they might just fix it by replacing the back cover for free. I had a legit issue with volume up key not working on a 928 which they fixed without any issues.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hm... it's possible. The only problem is there is very clear physical damage. No hiding it. And the chip on the front part of the phone is also annoying. I will probably just try and pay the deductible through the insurance...

If only I could scrounge up the money for an Icon. :amaze:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077