[L928] Cyan update from Verizon?

TheRickshaw

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think their plan is to wait until people give up and upgrade their phone model. Seriously. What other reasonable explanation could there be?

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm about done with Verizon. And I'm not on a Windows phone (on that network). But their policy of updating phones is beyond irritating. I feel that's why Google doesn't want to do business with them either...they remember the Nexus on VZ.

I've been testing AT&T again. However, until my job situation settles out I'm not changing phone companies. Once I land at the new job, I'll see if Tmobile or AT&T work inside the building. That's the ONLY reason I've stayed with VZ so long, they get voice inside most buildings (present dwelling not-withstanding).

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I feel it. I feel the update should be coming within the next 24 hours.

Maybe I'm just feeling Fall, and the change in weather. I don't know.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I feel it. I feel the update should be coming within the next 24 hours.

Maybe I'm just feeling Fall, and the change in weather. I don't know.

Guess I was indeed just feeling the weather change to Fall. Oh well, at least I can still appreciate the beautiful month of October.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
With this rumored, but looking less and less like a rumor, retirement of the Lumia Icon only the 928 is left on Verizon. However, I'm still pretty worried that we may never get any more updates. I know most of us hate Verizon's attitude towards windows phone and it appears it only gets worse.

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Using Tcman's assertion that updates will roll out when M8 exclusivity ends, and based on an article I just finished reading on the news side of this site, I guess we shouldn't expect anything till November 7th or later, right?

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that seems reasonable. I just feel like it's a bleak time to be a Windows Phone user on Verizon. Hopefully we're all just misreading things.

AngelaVit

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
i'm using 928 and updated to 8.1 DP. Everything is great except My battery is quite bad and when i turn on data (3G) My phone started heating up. you guys have some ideas to fix it.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
928 here with WP 8,1 DP since DP was available. I tweeted Nokia US and they RT that the 928 will get both Cyan and Denim together in Q4. I have seen other reports that have timing of late October / early November.

pastelero79

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
It looks more like Verizon will wait for the Denim update to rollout, instead of Cyan. Didn't a European carrier do the same? Since the 830 is now launching with Denim, it logical that they will wait for it. Verizon has never been speedy with updates. I'm starting to look for a good GSM phone now. I really like the 928. Its size, build type, and wireless charging are great. Only problem is that I am on Cricket now, and can't use LTE.(Isn't it still rumored that it will have the firmware update to enable LTE Band 4?) But constant access to WiFi really makes that not too important. Now, if we expect Denim in Q4 from MS, that means Q1 from VZW?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It looks more like Verizon will wait for the Denim update to rollout, instead of Cyan.

From a support standpoint this makes sense. Rolling out two firmware updates (separately) and an OS update will tax support with the unavoidable issues. Condensing the anticipated support requirements to 1 event rather than 2 is logical, especially when WP is a small segment of the total VZW smartphone ecosystem.

Let's hope you're right. . . .

ETA: It would be nice (if true) for VZW to say so, though. . .

Marcus Hock

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Just had a live chat with Verizon and have some good news (assuming that it is accurate). Here's the text:

My name is Lynn, how may I assist you?
Me: Hi I have a nokia lumia 928 and am would like to know if you have any information regarding the 8.1/cyan update for the phone.
Me: All other carriers have released the update for some, if not most of their windows phones, however verizon has not released the 8.1 update for any of the windows phones yet.
Lynn: Oh that's an awesome phone! I did get some information on updates for 2 models, so let me check if that's one of them.
Me: Okay.
Lynn: Its coming to the Nokia 928 and 822, and should have started being pushed on Monday. It takes up to 5-7 days for all customers to get it.
Me: Okay. Thank you for the information.
Lynn: My pleasure!
Me: Also, do you have any knowledge of the Icon receiving the update?
Lynn: That hasn't been reported to us as of yet, but it is in testing now.
Me: Okay, thank you very much.

So this should be good news for anyone on the 928 (which seems like a small portion of people). Just take this with a grain of salt and realize that this might not actually be the true release date.

Have a good day.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for a year or so. Works great. Occasional hiccup, but overall I really like it. Not enough difference in my 928 vs the Icon to warrant the cost of the Icon.

Wait not enough difference? Your talking a dual core processor compared to a quad core. 1 GB of ram to 2gb of ram. The icon has a much better graphics processor not to mention a 20 mp camera. The 928 is a nice phone but its not in the same league as the icon. Almost forgot 928 720p screen icon 1080p. So they really are very different.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Wait not enough difference? Your talking a dual core processor compared to a quad core. 1 GB of ram to 2gb of ram. The icon has a much better graphics processor not to mention a 20 mp camera. The 928 is a nice phone but its not in the same league as the icon. Almost forgot 928 720p screen icon 1080p. So they really are very different.
Form a pragmatic perspective the meaningful differences are processor and camera. 720 vs 1080 on a small screen doesn't buy you that much. . .. . .

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
And you can (at least I can) consider the camera a bit of a toss up. Icon has the 5+16DNG but is slow, while the 928 has the f2.0 aperture for better lowlight/no flash photos. The Icon mos def has superior video capabilities, however.

I still use my 928 for a run tracker and music player for running, and also as a camera and GPS (offline Maps FTW) when I was on a recent fly-in fishing trip in Canada. I just didn't want to risk my Icon on a small boat, particularly when you're wrangling some large Northerns or Walleyes. It easily outperformed an HTC M8 my brother in law carried.

Casey8

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
just chatted with a Verizon online rep. more promising news?

Joseph A.: Okay, what is the question regarding the update my apologies?

Casey : I'm am pretty tech savvy and stay up to date with technology. I've noticed that there is an update, Windows Phone 8.1 with Cyan, that is still not available for my phone as it was released by Microsoft in the summer. I was curious about a time frame we're looking until this update is available. If you refer here, most other carriers have released this update for all of their Lumia phones, including AT&T who has released the update for their 6 Lumia phones

Casey : (link to Microsoft website for Cyan Availability in North America)

Joseph A.: Casey, I absolutely more than understand your concern with the releasing update for the nokia phone for the windows 8.1. I have researched this my self and do not see an exact release date, i do know it will be here very soon and should be by the end of this month. On the phone you will get a notification to update the phone software.

Casey : Just a curious question, do you know why it has been delay compared to other carriers? I know for the "Black

Casey : " firmware update Verizon was much ahead of AT&T

Joseph A.: That is a great question and I do not know the exact reasoning with the delay with the windows update. I can guide you in the correct place to our technical department to see if they have more information regarding the system update.

Casey : That would be great if you could please!

Joseph A.: I understand the importance to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I want to make sure we fully evaluate the issue with the update.. The great news is our fantastic technical team is great and will try some "advanced trouble shooting" investigate the matter, That number is 1-800-922-0204 or *611 ( Option 3) from your cell phone and they will have more advanced steps (tier 2)

Casey : thank you very much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte