[L928] Cyan update from Verizon?

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh how I would love for Verizon to get the 1020 successor, whatever that may be. I'm not due for an upgrade until May of 2015 though, so I don't care to look on with envy just yet.

I've also learned my lesson that the device is more important to me than the network at this point. I live in populated areas with great coverage from all the carriers, so I am finally of the mindset that I should go wherever I find the device that will be best for me. And frankly, not getting the 1020 successor would be unacceptable to me. So there you are Verizon. Give us THE flagship this time, and not 6 months after it comes out either.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I would encourage any of you who don't have the developers preview of 8.1 to get it. I have the 928 too and my contract just came up but there is nothing out right now that is worthy of an update. While I know what I want in my next upgrade it shows how good the 928 is for me, being a tech junkie, to not be needing to upgrade my phone. I'll e holding off until prob spring 2015 unless Microsoft magically has a 10xx or 15xx coming out sooner. But I'm not holding my breath...

The 8.1 DP is great, however, until Cyan is released, BT 4.0 is not functional. I need the BT 4.0 so my Runtastic heart rate monitor will work. Not to mention all the other peripherals that run 4.0.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Still no update for the 928. I traded in an iPhone 4s when I got my 928. If I still had that phone I would be upgrading it to iOS 8 today. Unbelievable!

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In another thread a well known and reliable Verizon employee said that Verizon agreed no other phones will get 8.1 until the HTC One (M8) for Windows is no longer exclusive to them. So the rest of us get screwed over because they think it'll help them sell more phones.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Still no update for the 928. I traded in an iPhone 4s when I got my 928. If I still had that phone I would be upgrading it to iOS 8 today. Unbelievable!

Actually, it is suggested that iphone 4s users avoid ios 8 due to performance and screen size issues

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
In another thread a well known and reliable Verizon employee said that Verizon agreed no other phones will get 8.1 until the HTC One (M8) for Windows is no longer exclusive to them. So the rest of us get screwed over because they think it'll help them sell more phones.

I seriously hope you're trolling. I chatted online with them today and told them they were purposely delaying the update to push customers into buying the newer handsets. "Extensive testing" is their standard response.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trolling. Tcman88 who had a lot of info about the Lumia 928 including number of units at specific stores before launch mentioned this in a thread for the Icon. He did say exclusivity should end within a month though. It may be why HTC so confidently said the 8x on Verizon won't get 8.1 til the end of October, because their deal is what's holding up all the Verizon updates. I wish I was trolling and I sincerely hope the info is wrong but tcman has generally been right in the past.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
He also said the exclusivity hasn't work extremely well for HTC. He said Windows Phone is pretty much defined by Lumias at Verizon and that even with this deal in place the Icon is sold out but the HTC One (M8) for Windows is collecting dust. It's kind of sad cause it's a beautiful phone but I agree that I can't really see myself without a Lumia.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I like the looks of the HTC, but I really like the build of my 928 and wireless charging. Having a dedicated camera button is a slight factor as well.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you find that your data gets used up faster? I have a 2gb plan and use it all up now after installing 8.1. My normal data usage each month was around 1gb. I am trying figure out if this is related to 8.1 or something else. I am hoping the Cyan firmware will correct this, but can't see how it is related.

Yes. I actually made a post about this a week ago. My cell data as well as my daughters 8x is using double the data before the 8.1 DP.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I like the looks of the HTC, but I really like the build of my 928 and wireless charging. Having a dedicated camera button is a slight factor as well.

My sentiments exactly. The look of the m8 is pleasing, but the camera and qi wireless charging I prefer over its look. Now if they would just add the memory soot to the flagship lumias...

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
He also said the exclusivity hasn't work extremely well for HTC. He said Windows Phone is pretty much defined by Lumias at Verizon and that even with this deal in place the Icon is sold out but the HTC One (M8) for Windows is collecting dust. It's kind of sad cause it's a beautiful phone but I agree that I can't really see myself without a Lumia.

Verizon should take a hint from this and let the marketplace work. Update when updates are available and tested; if true this strategy serves no one (including Verizon).

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I kinda saw that with the online pricing. The Icons had ship dates listed on the website. I had also called and talked with a rep that said she was able to order them (when they were FREE) and now she couldn't.This was about 2 weeks ago. After being on hold she advised me that during our 20 minute call the inventory went OOS. Even today the Black icon still shows a ship date about a week out. The only reason I am not pulling the trigger now is I'll wait till its free again.

The current deal... 99 bucks for the icon or 150 for the HTC... its a no brainer especially when they are so close to being the same. (Except the camera is LIGHT YEARS better than the M8... and it has Qi Charging.).

I am NOT surprised the M8 is collecting dust. And it seems to be sitting at Amazon too (for $50 bucks). I really do like the looks and aesthetics of the M8, the extra memory slot too... but the camera and Qi win my personal preference. I have a feeling many others too which is why it's not doing well. Well, right now its probably all about the price driving them.

Francois Tetu

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
My 928 with Black firmware runs 8.1 with update 1 perfectly. No bugs with data consuming, battery or whatsoever. I am curious to see what cyan will bring more!

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ah, the always reliable tcman. Who remembers the thread about red and cyan colored 928 handsets? Tcman first insisted they were a sure thing, but then abandoned the thread.

waym1962

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I know he hasn't been right 100% of the time, but he has been right about quite a few things, and it is pretty logical. I was just passing on info and rumors that came from someone with a mostly accurate record. I'm not saying we should all take it as a guiding philosophy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb