Should I replace my cracked 920 with a 928?

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The workhorse of a phone that is my 920 finally has a couple small cracks on the bottom right corner. It in no way affects the phone since they're in the corner below the search button but I'm just itchy for a change... and something thinner/lighter.
I have the opportunity to buy a refurb 928 unlocked for $125. I'm due for an upgrade but there is nothing that I'm interested in at the moment...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why a "update when we darn well feel like it" Verizon 928? Using a 920 you're a GSM user, why switch to a cdma phone that doesn't get timely updates?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't do that, because the 928 is under the hood, the same phone. Sure the display and the camera flash are different, but its still going to be pretty darn similar. And being tied to VZW doesn't help.

I'd go for something else (although that is a good deal) if you're looking for something different. If I was to go different, I'd try the 720, 820, ATIV S, depends though.

Toxid_Fox

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd say wait for the new Windows 10 phones and see what options you have then. I have a badly cracked 920 but i am holding off too see what Microsoft has to offer flagship wise :)

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Some responses here imply that they didn't actually read the thread, so here's my take.

Is the 928 better than the 920 or 928? Yes, slightly. The display, build quality and camera are all top-notch, all improvements on an already fantastic set of phones. If you live in an area where your current provider offers good HSPA ("3.5") 4G coverage, then LTE isn't something you'll miss anyway. If you switch to a 928, you'll be stuck on 3.5 as your highest option, so keep that in mind. The LTE radio bands in the 928 will not work with an AT&T sim, for example, but it will get HSPA speeds. The other thing to think about is that some users have reported some issues with receiving text messages, but I would say that isn't the norm. If you're in Europe... then yes. There is no reason to buy another 920 if you can get a 928. They're the same phone, go for the same price, and one is clearly superior. Europe doesn't have this borderline false advertisement of "BLAZING LTE ULTRA SUPREME 4G: OPTIMIUM," so that entire point is moot. The only thing to question is if you'll need to MANUALLY set up the phone to work. If you do, a store tech can help.

While $125 is a great price for a STELLAR phone, there are other options out there for that price. For example, the Lumia 830 is going on sale with AT&T for $99 with a new contract, and that phone will give you a better camera than the 920 and the 928, and it as a micro SD card slot, making it more versatile. Check to see what it is with Next (again, assuming you're on AT&T to begin with...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss