Why is Skype draining my battery even though it's plugged in?

Sarah_beara99

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I always plug in my phone when I Skype my boyfriend so it doesn't die on me, but every since I updated it on Christmas, my battery will slowly lose charge until it hit 0% and turns off. So far I've only noticed this while I am on Skype, other than that it charges perfectly. I have to Skype my boyfriend sometimes for long hours and would really like to do it without my battery dying on me. My phone would charge while on Skype before the update instead of draining it. I am still using the original charger, and WiFi. How do I fix this problem? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I always plug in my phone when I Skype my boyfriend so it doesn't die on me, but every since I updated it on Christmas, my battery will slowly lose charge until it hit 0% and turns off. So far I've only noticed this while I am on Skype, other than that it charges perfectly. I have to Skype my boyfriend sometimes for long hours and would really like to do it without my battery dying on me. My phone would charge while on Skype before the update instead of draining it. I am still using the original charger. How do I fix this problem? Thank you for your help.

Are you using WiFi or 3G/4G during your Skype call? 3G/4G, depending on the signal quality in your location, may be draining your battery faster than your charger can charge it... hence the negative output and eventual drain.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Negative output never happens, charger should charge no matter what. Looks like a bug

It does happen, my friend. If your phone is taking 1.5A from your battery but your charger is only 1.0A, your battery will experience 0.5A drain. Most chargers have "high enough" charge rates such that the battery should normally have a net "charging" state, e.g. phone usage = 1.5A while charging is at 2A, giving a 0.5A net charge rate.

Observe, too, that charging your phone will be faster if you left it doing nothing on the floor compared to if you're doing something heavy on it (like playing or downloading through 3G/4G). On extreme comparisons, your phone will charge faster if it was on airplane mode.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Using Wifi

I see. There seems to be four options for you:
1. Use a different app that has video calling functions, such as WeChat, but it's most likely that you will experience the same battery draining symptom.
2. Purchase a compatible fast charger with a higher output current, but this most likely will destroy your battery faster and void any warranties.
3. Shorten Skype video call sessions - depending on the personality and reliability of your boyfriend I believe this should be possible.
4. Use your computer for if shorter Skype video call sessions are unavoidable - phones are mobile and are, hence, not designed for prolonged heavy use but rather for quick actions and calls; they are not meant to replace the full functionality of the Skype software in computers.

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Just check your charger and see what's output mentioned. If its to small i think it'll be something like 1A , then getting a bigger charger(2A) will solve your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720