Is the Nokia Lumia 928 a good buy?

Snah Nelson1

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 928 in 2015

I am thinking of purchasing a smartphone. I am not worried about having the best specs, or anything like that, because I do not want to spend a lot of money on it. So, since there will be a new flagship device this year, I was wondering if the 928 would be a good buy (since it is two years old), or if I should wait to get the 929 for a lot cheaper in a couple months. If any of you have Verizon compatible phones and would like to sell it, I am open to purchasing it,

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 in 2015

my 928 is a great phone. The Icon wasn't enough to tempt me, and it doesn't have glance. I'm waiting for the wave of flagships, hoping that VZW will pick some of them up

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I just picked up a 928. Nice phone. It's my first PureView with Xenon Flash.

Get one and don't apologize to anyone for it. Great handset.

behnwa

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

I agree, the 928 is a solid device in spite of age. But do you think Verizon will be pushing Windows 10? I love my 928 but leery after the whole 'cyan-denim' catastrophe.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

928 is one of the best phones available imho. Xenon flash + great low-light camera (unlike 1520/930/Icon), compact form (unlike 1520), glance (unlike 930), decent processor+gpu (unlike all midrange phones today from Msft), 1GB RAM. And you can get it on Verizon!

Overall, I think it is the most well-balanced phone in terms of features, performance, and size.

Snah Nelson1

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

Okay yall. Thanks for the information. It is very likely that I will get it. Do you suppose that Verizon will allow it to be updated to Windows 10? I sure hope they do. Also, how well does the 928 work with the developer preview? Thanks!

behnwa

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site

The Windows 10 preview is not available on the 928, but hopefully should be in the next round of updates.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
The only major negative to the phone is the quality control. If you get a good one awesome. You may return several of them before you get a good one.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
The only major negative to the phone is the quality control. If you get a good one awesome. You may return several of them before you get a good one.

True. I have returned 5 phones. The new one didn't have major issues, but had glue behind the buttons, making the buttons look just slightly off. In fact, it was barely noticeable, and I shouldn't have replaced it. On the other hand, if I am buying an off-contract phone for $400+, I expect perfection.
Then the refurb situation was terrible. The first one they sent had buttons that looked absolutely terrible. The other two they sent had casing/screen gap/bulge on one side, evidently poor assembly when they were refurbishing these. The fourth one i got still had a button issue worse than the first, but I was tired of replacements-especially when restoring the start screen was impossible. This one I had for a long time, dropped it on concrete multiple times, it was soaked all the way through in a thunderstorm, my son plays games on it/drops it all of the time, and it is chugging along just fine.

All in all - cosmetics are an issue, durability and build quality I would say not so much.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I am thinking of purchasing a smartphone. I am not worried about having the best specs, or anything like that, because I do not want to spend a lot of money on it. So, since there will be a new flagship device this year, I was wondering if the 928 would be a good buy (since it is two years old), or if I should wait to get the 929 for a lot cheaper in a couple months. If any of you have Verizon compatible phones and would like to sell it, I am open to purchasing it,

Given you can get one new on Amazon for $179 (with Prime shipping and no taxes), I doubt there is a better deal out there for a VZW phone. Mine is just about two years old and dying but given it has been dropped, kicked, stepped on, and bounced in innumerable ways, I have probably never seen a more resilient phone. No, I am not normally that hard on phones but before I had three cervical vertebrae fused last April, and for a while afterwards, I had some dexterity problems. BTW, all of that happened without a case. Every time I get frustrated in the present tense, I need to remind myself it really is nearly two years old and has been seriously abused. Performance wise, it has generally been very solid, and will still run everything quite easily. The screen is also quite nice, very sharp, and (for me) just about the perfect size. Only complaint I have is it can get a bit sluggish at times when my Microsoft Band is attached since the last update but that is quite intermittent and only affects scrolling.

I am actually considering picking up another to replace the current one since a) I don't find any of the devices on the horizon very impressive, b) I have had so many HTC problems in the past I probably would not take one for free, and c) the Ativ SE is seriously overpriced and lacks wireless charging. I am also still of the opinion there is probably an unstated reason why the Icon was pulled so quickly and has been so slow to get updates. Altogether, I think the 928 is probably still the best all around WP device VZW has sold....

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Previously I would have said not to pick up this phone, but having to wipe it after installing the awful w10 preview turned this phone into a beast. It performs better now than it did in May 2013!

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Don't buy it. It's a pos. It had very good low lighting photos. However the build design of this phone is awefull. I broke three of them with three months and switched to att to get the 1020 nearly $1000 later. Don't do it. The glass screen goes all the way to the edge. If you drop this phone from two feet off the ground, (even with a case) it will shatter. Verizon had a part of the design of this phone and the f**ked it up. It should not be considered a Lumia at all.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) So were you dropping it with a cinder block? The only more durable smartphone I have owned is an older 822. This thing has been nearly impossible to destroy.
2) VZW had no part in the design other than the CDMA technology. It looks like its various siblings (including the Icon) for a reason. It was Nokia's signature design (sans silly colors).
3) Please find me a smartphone whose glass screen does not go all the way to the edge. That has been an industry wide standard for quite some time.
4) If you broke three in three months and dropped $1000 I think you might want to reconsider how you are using the device. It is not meant to be used as a ping pong paddle or impromptu hammer.

Seriously, do people actually read the stuff they write before hitting send?

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
1) So were you dropping it with a cinder block? The only more durable smartphone I have owned is an older 822. This thing has been nearly impossible to destroy.
2) VZW had no part in the design other than the CDMA technology. It looks like its various siblings (including the Icon) for a reason. It was Nokia's signature design (sans silly colors).
3) Please find me a smartphone whose glass screen does not go all the way to the edge. That has been an industry wide standard for quite some time.
4) If you broke three in three months and dropped $1000 I think you might want to reconsider how you are using the device. It is not meant to be used as a ping pong paddle or impromptu hammer.

Seriously, do people actually read the stuff they write before hitting send?

Do you read what people write? I was sitting on the toilet while trolling your feeds and dropped it from literally 1.5 to 2 ft off the ground on linoleum and the screen shattered with a case... No ping pong. I did not throw it in any fashion. It did bounce however.

I am ignorant on my claim Verizon designed it. I'll give you that. However, the glass goes to the edge of the phone whereas the 1020 and 920 have extra room with the rounded bevel edge. You can stand the 928 on its side due to the flat edge. The polycarbonate and glass are flush together whereas the 1020 isn't.. The glass does not go ALL the way to the edge.

You are right though, I should continue using my broken 928 to hammer trolls like you back into the ground.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

In my experience, cosmetic damage appears easily: 2-ft drop on the tile floor, and the corner has a visible ding on it. However, it does not actually damage the device. Mine has been through multiple drops from 6 ft with additional acceleration from running. Onto the pavement. Bounces well, but doesn't break.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys... Falls are so filled with variables no two are the same. They are each and every one unique like a snowflake or a fingerprint.

I believe the only variable that matters is luck. Have bad luck and a 2 cm drop could damage something whereas another fall with good luck and the phone survives unscratched what you are sure will make it useless.

Arguing about whose phone fell "right" and whose fell "wrong" is pretty pointless.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up one myself off Ebay for around $100. I get bored with Android and always find myself coming back to Windows Phone. I do miss the apps though - mainly Amazon Music.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
All I can is that this phone is a steal at the prices it's going at now. I got mine for $100 like new on Ebay. I was planning on just using while I waited on the G4 to come out but I think I will just keep using it and see what happens with Windows 10. There is not much I can do with Android that I cannot do with the 928. Cortana is great. The notifications are much improved and the camera is more than adequate. Plus I just like the operating system better. The only thing I miss is access to Amazon music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss