06-22-2015 04:09 AM
59 123
tools
    Anyone put WP10 TP on a 928 yet? If so, how did it go?
    Well, 25 replies until now and if you haven't got a satisfying answer, here is one for you.

From the question that you asked, I can easily tell you that the Technical Preview is not for the faint at heart. So it is definitely going to have some bugs and you might not have the patience to handle the bugs. Wait for a stable build or RTM.
    04-12-2015 12:40 PM
    I lost my data connection completely. I could only run off of Wi-fi. I liked the look but it was super slow and laggy on my phone. Liked the email except that there was no unified inbox. It was fun to play with for a few hours but I had to roll back to 8.1.
    I had the same problem odin. There's a forum topic somewhere on this site with possible solutions to that problem; what worked for me ultimately was a hard reset. The tech preview is still definitely buggy enough to not be a viable daily driver candidate for many people, but at least it is fully functioning after a hard reset.
    04-12-2015 11:33 PM
    Thanks all. I may put it on a test 928, but not going to put it on my daily driver. I use it too much to be impacted like this.
    04-13-2015 10:21 AM
    I got a 928 a few weeks ago and had switched to it as my main device from my Blackberry Q10. I really liked it with 8.1, though the biggest issue I had in daily use was the keyboard. Then I realised I had to push gently on the back of the phone so I could hear someone on a phone call (bad connection somewhere internally I assume?) and then the phone wouldn't come out of headphone mode. A day later WP10 TP was released so I switched back to the Q10 as my main device and the 928 is now a mini tablet. My installation was a little bumpy; took a while to finally connect to the servers, then I had to reinstall 2 or 3 times to get it to load properly, but now it's running (reasonably) fine. Keep in mind I've only been using this as a music player/camera. I was going to use the offline maps/navigation for a road trip, but as mentioned earlier, Maps/Here Drive+ are broken.

Issues:
    - Music doesn't show album artwork
    - Random freezes (usually in the app switcher)
    - Outlook Calendar has replaced 'Calendar.' Not really a bad thing, just the tile on the home screen is a different blue and doesn't really fit aesthetically
    - Can't adjust image position for lock screen
    - Camera seems to be a bit slower to load

The Good:
    - Expandable drawer for additional toggles (airplane mode, rotation lock, etc)
    - Smaller text and UI for settings makes navigating it so much easier/nicer (though there is dead space at the top of the list)
    - Project Spartan is a lot nicer than IE
    - Overall pretty smooth experience for an early build on an older device
    04-14-2015 11:06 AM
    I put it on my phone and it was fine with a few crashes of apps here and there. Then it rebooted and I lost cell/data service and restarting wouldn't fix it. So I did a factory reset and now everything is working great. Only one app that won't reload properly which is Weathr. There are some slow downs here and there. Also the battery seems to drain super fast. Haven't researched it too much yet though.
    04-14-2015 02:11 PM
    I got a 928 a few weeks ago and had switched to it as my main device from my Blackberry Q10. I really liked it with 8.1, though the biggest issue I had in daily use was the keyboard. Then I realised I had to push gently on the back of the phone so I could hear someone on a phone call (bad connection somewhere internally I assume?) and then the phone wouldn't come out of headphone mode. A day later WP10 TP was released so I switched back to the Q10 as my main device and the 928 is now a mini tablet. My installation was a little bumpy; took a while to finally connect to the servers, then I had to reinstall 2 or 3 times to get it to load properly, but now it's running (reasonably) fine. Keep in mind I've only been using this as a music player/camera. I was going to use the offline maps/navigation for a road trip, but as mentioned earlier, Maps/Here Drive+ are broken.

Issues:
    - Music doesn't show album artwork
    - Random freezes (usually in the app switcher)
    - Outlook Calendar has replaced 'Calendar.' Not really a bad thing, just the tile on the home screen is a different blue and doesn't really fit aesthetically
    - Can't adjust image position for lock screen
    - Camera seems to be a bit slower to load

The Good:
    - Expandable drawer for additional toggles (airplane mode, rotation lock, etc)
    - Smaller text and UI for settings makes navigating it so much easier/nicer (though there is dead space at the top of the list)
    - Project Spartan is a lot nicer than IE
    - Overall pretty smooth experience for an early build on an older device
    Here is the screenshot of Maps and Here Drive working on Lumia 1020 with WP 10.
    wp_ss_20150415_0005.png
    wp_ss_20150415_0006.png
    wp_ss_20150415_0007.png
    wp_ss_20150415_0008.png
    powderbanks likes this.
    04-15-2015 07:52 AM
    Here is the screenshot of Maps and Here Drive working on Lumia 1020 with WP 10.
    I'm going to completely wipe the device and try reinstalling, maybe it will bring them back. A few other things I forgot to mention:

- The cursor selector thing on the keyboard is great
    - Every app now stays open, even if you use the 'back' button to get back to the start screen; not really a bad thing, it makes closing out of everything from the app switcher a lot easier. On 8.1 certain apps would fully close out, others would stay open for multitasking.
    04-15-2015 09:26 AM
    I'm going to completely wipe the device and try reinstalling, maybe it will bring them back. A few other things I forgot to mention:

- The cursor selector thing on the keyboard is great
    - Every app now stays open, even if you use the 'back' button to get back to the start screen; not really a bad thing, it makes closing out of everything from the app switcher a lot easier. On 8.1 certain apps would fully close out, others would stay open for multitasking.
    If have a feeling that they will also add a "clear all" feature for the task switcher, in the future updates.
    04-15-2015 10:34 AM
    If have a feeling that they will also add a "clear all" feature for the task switcher, in the future updates.
    Yeah, definitely. I just wiped and reinstalled clean from 8.1 to 10 again, maps is now working. I had updated the maps on 8.1, 10 must not like migrating them or something.
    04-15-2015 01:20 PM
    I am on Preview, but I don't get the update to WP10. Please does someone knows what's the problem?
    04-17-2015 07:32 PM
    You need to install the insiders app for this one. I'm downloading it now and going to bed. I'll see how it is in the morning.
    04-17-2015 11:44 PM
    I am on Preview, but I don't get the update to WP10. Please does someone knows what's the problem?
    You can use the following guide to install Windows Phone 10 but be warned that it is a Beta OS.
    Guide : Windows Phone 10 - Installations, Troubleshooting and Features
    pechio likes this.
    04-18-2015 12:07 AM
    Wow, windows phone 10 beta is horrible. going back to 8.1 until a newer revision comes out.
    04-18-2015 12:16 PM
    It works better than I thought. You need a clean install and reinstall your apps. the thing is that Microsoft takes your phone away from you, for free. There is no way you can go back to 8.1. Believe me... Beside feeling usurped by Microsoft, wp 10 preview is a good move on a 928. You get a banner (not for resale) appearing during boot-up. Already sold for free to...
    04-18-2015 06:22 PM
    It is slow, but the Start screen visual appearance is really good. While I don't mind the hamburger per se - having at the top is an annoyance. Not so bad on the 928, but I'm already cringing thinking about my Icon. Two handed use, here we come....
    wp_ss_20150421_0001.jpg
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-21-2015 09:50 AM
    Is the People Hub integrated again or is it still broken?
    04-21-2015 03:09 PM
    Still broken in the sense it won't pin to Start; although individual contacts can be pinned. I haven't ever integrated Facebook, etc with phone contacts, so that's always been " broken" for me.
    04-21-2015 10:42 PM
    Anyone brave enough to try the new build 10052. I got burned by the previous build (the No SIM problem) so just curious :)
    04-22-2015 12:05 PM
    Anyone brave enough to try the new build 10052. I got burned by the previous build (the No SIM problem) so just curious :)
    Read that no sim problem continues in the new build
    04-22-2015 12:09 PM
    Loaded '52 last night and haven't had any new problems. Don't have the No SIM problem
    04-22-2015 12:18 PM
    Read that no sim problem continues in the new build

Lol where did you read? The problem has been eliminated. Lumia 1020 works well after update 10052.
    04-22-2015 12:32 PM
    I put 10052 on my 928 the other day. I haven't noticed many changes. App switcher still freezes occasionally, but it's fixed by locking/unlocking the phone. Music and OneDrive apps won't update (apparently a widespread issue), and the Music app still doesn't show album art. I've been using it mostly as a GPS for on my scooter/motorcycle and battery drain is pretty bad. I never used it on 8.1, so I'm not sure if it's TP10 or usual. I can ride for about 30-45 minutes on a full charge before it's down to ~20%.
    04-28-2015 09:00 AM
    I've been using it mostly as a GPS for on my scooter/motorcycle and battery drain is pretty bad. I never used it on 8.1, so I'm not sure if it's TP10 or usual. I can ride for about 30-45 minutes on a full charge before it's down to ~20%.
    Do you have any other connectivity turned on during these rides? I've used my 928 in the back country as a GPS in airplane mode for 6-8 hours and will still have about 30-35% left after that time. I'm wondering if the 928 is trying to find cell or WiFi coverage?

If you are in airplane mode and this is the power consumption, that's pretty excessive.
    04-28-2015 09:45 AM
    Bit the bullet and installed it on a test 928 and so far, seems very stable. There are some issues, but MS already has them flagged.
    One issue though, on the new KB, the cursor dot, I can get it to show the directions the cursor should go, but when I pick a direction, it doesn't actually do anything. Is anyone else seeing that?

Admins, if this belongs in the WP10 thread, please move it. Thank you.
    04-29-2015 11:55 AM
    Anyone planning on putting this week's build on their 928? Kinda interested in the interactive live tiles. Can't recall if that is going to be available for this release or not. I've got the previous build on a test device and it seems to be working well enough.

​Anyone?
    05-13-2015 09:19 AM
59 123