WP10 TP anyone?

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After install the phone wouldn't recognize the SIM so phone and data functions were nil. After plyaing around I like the overall look and feel and see the TP going a step in the right direction. A little laggy, a little buggy, but subsequent releases should improve the experience.

Ram_14WP

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Facing same issue after installing TP on my Lumia 1320 in India. It's my medium phone. Someone please suggest a solution or MS please release a fix immediately. Please 😞

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Installed yesterday, takes 2+ hours for the initial install & gears spinning. It's a bit laggy for the next hour or two, but then seemed to pick up. Today reverted back to 8.1, as today the phone doesn't recognize the SIM, so couldn't make calls or MMS. After reinstalling 8.1 the phone has a lovely teal colored Blue Screen that hard reset didn't overcome. Shall have to reinstall again it seems! Overall, I liked the look, feel and experience of Win10 on the 928, aside from a few fatal flaws that will likely be addressed shortly:

Good:
  • It is smoother and faster than 8.1 DP
  • Outlook email and calendar work well, particularly with multiple inboxes
  • IE11 rendering improvements
  • Spartan is fast, indeed.
  • Cortana can train to your voice
  • Phone and IM interface improvements

Opportunities for excellence:
  • VZW contacts backup won't run, so need to separately back up your contacts
  • Photos is slow to find your images and load.
  • Here+ Drive and Maps didn't work
  • MS Maps wouldn't open
  • Glance settings wouldn't open
  • Random screens would freeze. To fix, hit the power twice and swipe up. Screen unfreezes
  • Couldn't turn data settings back on after it stopped recognizing the SIM 18 hours after installing Win10
  • When it didn't see SIM, the Phone and MMS app would crash within 1 second.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice they took the month/day out of the glance screen, argh. I liked what little I got to play with before my phone went into endless reboot loops. Definitely not ready for actual use, just a very time consuming concept demo. I will try it again on my 928 in a couple of builds, I definitely cannot live without Maps or Office.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I lost my data connection completely. I could only run off of Wi-fi. I liked the look but it was super slow and laggy on my phone. Liked the email except that there was no unified inbox. It was fun to play with for a few hours but I had to roll back to 8.1.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone put WP10 TP on a 928 yet? If so, how did it go?

Well, 25 replies until now and if you haven't got a satisfying answer, here is one for you.

From the question that you asked, I can easily tell you that the Technical Preview is not for the faint at heart. So it is definitely going to have some bugs and you might not have the patience to handle the bugs. Wait for a stable build or RTM.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I lost my data connection completely. I could only run off of Wi-fi. I liked the look but it was super slow and laggy on my phone. Liked the email except that there was no unified inbox. It was fun to play with for a few hours but I had to roll back to 8.1.

I had the same problem odin. There's a forum topic somewhere on this site with possible solutions to that problem; what worked for me ultimately was a hard reset. The tech preview is still definitely buggy enough to not be a viable daily driver candidate for many people, but at least it is fully functioning after a hard reset.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I may put it on a test 928, but not going to put it on my daily driver. I use it too much to be impacted like this.

powderbanks

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I got a 928 a few weeks ago and had switched to it as my main device from my Blackberry Q10. I really liked it with 8.1, though the biggest issue I had in daily use was the keyboard. Then I realised I had to push gently on the back of the phone so I could hear someone on a phone call (bad connection somewhere internally I assume?) and then the phone wouldn't come out of headphone mode. A day later WP10 TP was released so I switched back to the Q10 as my main device and the 928 is now a mini tablet. My installation was a little bumpy; took a while to finally connect to the servers, then I had to reinstall 2 or 3 times to get it to load properly, but now it's running (reasonably) fine. Keep in mind I've only been using this as a music player/camera. I was going to use the offline maps/navigation for a road trip, but as mentioned earlier, Maps/Here Drive+ are broken.

Issues:
- Music doesn't show album artwork
- Random freezes (usually in the app switcher)
- Outlook Calendar has replaced 'Calendar.' Not really a bad thing, just the tile on the home screen is a different blue and doesn't really fit aesthetically
- Can't adjust image position for lock screen
- Camera seems to be a bit slower to load

The Good:
- Expandable drawer for additional toggles (airplane mode, rotation lock, etc)
- Smaller text and UI for settings makes navigating it so much easier/nicer (though there is dead space at the top of the list)
- Project Spartan is a lot nicer than IE
- Overall pretty smooth experience for an early build on an older device

Bahbus

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I put it on my phone and it was fine with a few crashes of apps here and there. Then it rebooted and I lost cell/data service and restarting wouldn't fix it. So I did a factory reset and now everything is working great. Only one app that won't reload properly which is Weathr. There are some slow downs here and there. Also the battery seems to drain super fast. Haven't researched it too much yet though.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I got a 928 a few weeks ago and had switched to it as my main device from my Blackberry Q10. I really liked it with 8.1, though the biggest issue I had in daily use was the keyboard. Then I realised I had to push gently on the back of the phone so I could hear someone on a phone call (bad connection somewhere internally I assume?) and then the phone wouldn't come out of headphone mode. A day later WP10 TP was released so I switched back to the Q10 as my main device and the 928 is now a mini tablet. My installation was a little bumpy; took a while to finally connect to the servers, then I had to reinstall 2 or 3 times to get it to load properly, but now it's running (reasonably) fine. Keep in mind I've only been using this as a music player/camera. I was going to use the offline maps/navigation for a road trip, but as mentioned earlier, Maps/Here Drive+ are broken.

Issues:
- Music doesn't show album artwork
- Random freezes (usually in the app switcher)
- Outlook Calendar has replaced 'Calendar.' Not really a bad thing, just the tile on the home screen is a different blue and doesn't really fit aesthetically
- Can't adjust image position for lock screen
- Camera seems to be a bit slower to load

The Good:
- Expandable drawer for additional toggles (airplane mode, rotation lock, etc)
- Smaller text and UI for settings makes navigating it so much easier/nicer (though there is dead space at the top of the list)
- Project Spartan is a lot nicer than IE
- Overall pretty smooth experience for an early build on an older device

Here is the screenshot of Maps and Here Drive working on Lumia 1020 with WP 10.
wp_ss_20150415_0005.png
wp_ss_20150415_0006.png
wp_ss_20150415_0007.png
wp_ss_20150415_0008.png

powderbanks

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Here is the screenshot of Maps and Here Drive working on Lumia 1020 with WP 10.

I'm going to completely wipe the device and try reinstalling, maybe it will bring them back. A few other things I forgot to mention:

- The cursor selector thing on the keyboard is great
- Every app now stays open, even if you use the 'back' button to get back to the start screen; not really a bad thing, it makes closing out of everything from the app switcher a lot easier. On 8.1 certain apps would fully close out, others would stay open for multitasking.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to completely wipe the device and try reinstalling, maybe it will bring them back. A few other things I forgot to mention:

- The cursor selector thing on the keyboard is great
- Every app now stays open, even if you use the 'back' button to get back to the start screen; not really a bad thing, it makes closing out of everything from the app switcher a lot easier. On 8.1 certain apps would fully close out, others would stay open for multitasking.

If have a feeling that they will also add a "clear all" feature for the task switcher, in the future updates.

powderbanks

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
If have a feeling that they will also add a "clear all" feature for the task switcher, in the future updates.

Yeah, definitely. I just wiped and reinstalled clean from 8.1 to 10 again, maps is now working. I had updated the maps on 8.1, 10 must not like migrating them or something.

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You need to install the insiders app for this one. I'm downloading it now and going to bed. I'll see how it is in the morning.

Francois Tetu

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
It works better than I thought. You need a clean install and reinstall your apps. the thing is that Microsoft takes your phone away from you, for free. There is no way you can go back to 8.1. Believe me... Beside feeling usurped by Microsoft, wp 10 preview is a good move on a 928. You get a banner (not for resale) appearing during boot-up. Already sold for free to...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It is slow, but the Start screen visual appearance is really good. While I don't mind the hamburger per se - having at the top is an annoyance. Not so bad on the 928, but I'm already cringing thinking about my Icon. Two handed use, here we come....
wp_ss_20150421_0001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6