Windows 10 preview on Lumia 928

jevans911

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the insider preview app installed and hedge selected the slow ring for updates, but do far I haven't been able to update to the preview. I did try once using the fast ring and it updated right away, but that version was too buggy for me (this is my daily driver phone)I used the program supplied by Microsoft to test my phone back to win 8.1 and tried again using the slow ring setting again, still no luck. One time it did tell be to leave my phone plugged in and it would restart and install the update in about an hour, but no dice get either. Can anyone give me a step by step tutorial on how to upgrade via the show ring?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that it works with the slow ring on phones. That being said, it has been mentioned multiple times it is not advisable to install on daily driver. I had it on my 1520 and had too many bugs for my liking. Simply reset it back to 8.1 and didn't look back.
It is a Technical Preview and there are bugs. If it is too buggy I would suggest not reinstalling the preview. If you can't wait, I would recommend picking up a 635 at WalMart or something. Don't activate it for usage. Just hang on to it as a test phone. Or there's another 928 for $115 for sale in the market place.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have '136 on a spare 928 and there is no way I would use it as a daily driver. Dog slow. Its not a good experience right now. I have to force myself to use it some to keep the feedback going for Microsoft.

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I was having problems getting the windows 10 preview on my 928. I was trying to upgrade from 8.1 denim. About 75% into the spinning gears it would just stop and an error message 8000010020 or something would appear. I tried several times, clearing space, etc.

After reading suggestions, I did a hard reset, wiping my device. It bricked the phone...spinning gears endless loop.

I used the windows phone recovery tool and it successfully put basic windows 8 on.
I did not choose the old backup to restore during the login process. I wanted it to remain clean.
I also chose not to sync my settings since I did not want it to overwrite the good backup.
I then installed windows insider and set it to Fast track.
When I ran windows update, It put on windows 8.1. It did another 8.1 update after that.
Eventually, it went and got 100166. That was successful!
I did not elect to restore a backup at this point because I wanted to make sure it stayed clean.
Then it went and got 100512. That was also successful.
At this point, I did another Hard reset, so that I could see the restore from backup option during login process.
I chose the old backup image.

After going through settings, going to the store, setting up photos, one drive, etc. it all seems pretty cool so far.
I'm running into some of the typical bugs but I think this going to work as my daily driver.

Hope this helps some other 928 users out there.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I was having problems getting the windows 10 preview on my 928. I was trying to upgrade from 8.1 denim. About 75% into the spinning gears it would just stop and an error message 8000010020 or something would appear. I tried several times, clearing space, etc.

After reading suggestions, I did a hard reset, wiping my device. It bricked the phone...spinning gears endless loop.

I used the windows phone recovery tool and it successfully put basic windows 8 on.
I did not choose the old backup to restore during the login process. I wanted it to remain clean.
I also chose not to sync my settings since I did not want it to overwrite the good backup.
I then installed windows insider and set it to Fast track.
When I ran windows update, It put on windows 8.1. It did another 8.1 update after that.
Eventually, it went and got 100166. That was successful!
I did not elect to restore a backup at this point because I wanted to make sure it stayed clean.
Then it went and got 100512. That was also successful.
At this point, I did another Hard reset, so that I could see the restore from backup option during login process.
I chose the old backup image.

After going through settings, going to the store, setting up photos, one drive, etc. it all seems pretty cool so far.
I'm running into some of the typical bugs but I think this going to work as my daily driver.

Hope this helps some other 928 users out there.
Just getting ready to install on a new replacement device myself and like you I'm going to start fresh. Do I need to still do a reset at the end ?

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I did the reset at the end so that I could get to the 'restore from backup' screen during the signon process. There may be a better way like deleting the Microsoft account from the phone and then signing in again... am not sure about that one, just a thought.

Good luck. The reset took a while so if you don't need it to get the upgrade to 10166 started then go for it.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm done with updating 8.1, now I didn't sign in to any of my accounts yet should I have? I go to look for the insider app now please let me know! thanks

sconk

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been with 10166 for several weeks now on the slow ring but was hoping for the update. How does the fast ring 10536 work? Is that the latest?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos