I need a replacement phone for my battle-worn 928, and I am in a rather precarious situation! Which should I get?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I need a replacement phone for my battle-worn 928, and I am in a rather precarious situation!

Salutations, Windows community! Alas, the reason I am here today is not your outstanding videos. I am in need of advice. The screen of my beloved 928 just shattered after a rather jarring fall onto concrete, and I am in need of a replacement (the old girl is going on three years now, so it's probably for the best). I am a soon-to-be college student who has a strong chance of studying overseas (Cambridge/Oxford/St. Andrews) despite my relatively humble origins. Nonetheless, I will be spending about another year in the U.S. (regardless if I get in or not), so integration with my Verizon sim card is a must (it's probably a micro sim; feel free to scrutinize my blatant technological ignorance). My question to you is: what phone would be serve the goal of daily communication and web browsing, as well as typing papers, etc.? Obviously, I am not the type who plays many games, but a fast processor, long battery life, and good camera are highly important to me. My instinctive favorite, despite its gaudiness, is the white and gold Lumia 930. But, with me being on Verizon, I'm not sure if it will have issues with frequency, etc.. I've also given thought to the Samsung Ativ SE (behind the times, I know, but it has a swappable battery and expandable memory plus Smart TV compatibility). I have also given thought to the tried and true Lumia Icon, but seeing as it's no longer available from Verizon, would it function the same if I bought an unlocked version on Amazon and inserted my old 928's micro sim? The 730 currently available from Verizon seems a bit lackluster compared to the potent flagship devices. I know this situation is rather sticky (Verizon being a primary instigator of this conundrum), but there's nobody that I trust more for my windows needs than you guys (and girls)!

Thanks in advance!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: I need a replacement phone for my battle-worn 928, and I am in a rather precarious situation!

Why not go to Swappa.com and take a look at used 928's. Many users here have had good success in buy from Swappa; myself included.

The 735 on Verizon isn't a bad phone; just not as powerful as your 928 was.

I bought the htc M8 for windows used and am pleased with it. I miss some of the Lumia offerings but it will bridge the gap until the new flagship models come this fall and winter.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I need a replacement phone for my battle-worn 928, and I am in a rather precarious situation!

The white and gold Lumia 930 just won't work on Verizon. Luckily for you, as you know, the Lumia Icon is the US/Verizon version of that phone! Well, without the gold. ANY Icon WILL work on Verizon, since they are all Verizon phones, and they are ALL unlocked anyway.

That's my recommendation.

The 735 is a fine option, probably comparable in horsepower, if a bit speedier. (must be VZW model, not any other)

The ATIV SE is a fine device as well, and I wouldn't mind owning it. The HTC One M8 for Windows is also an option. But people give its camera flak around here.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
735 has quad core processor, 928 had dual core. Is it much faster?
q6600 vs dual core i7 if you get the point

I'd get another 928 or an icon on ebay, they run for less than 100$ and about 180$ respectively, in pretty decent conditions, and after you move out of the US you can keep using it unlocked and probably with 3g coverage since its penta band there

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
After checking out the 735, it felt like the old 928, just with some lipstick. I have the Icon now and it's well worth it. Just get a case for it, cause if it takes a fall and doesn't damage the glass it can bend the corners and pop out the backing. Since it has a metal trim it will bend and is nearly impossible to get those out, happened to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb