Should I get Windows 10 preview on my Lumia 928?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Should I get Windows 10 preview on my lumia 928?

It's my daily driver and I don't wanna have it screw anything up so do you guys think it's good enough to use as my daily driver?

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I get Windows 10 preview on my lumia 928?

I would say so however (586.63 just installed so this may change,) you'll have to live with battery drain and if using as a hotspot it will stop sharing when the screen goes to sleep/locked (max timeout at 5 mins.) Despite these nuisances I have Bern using it for a month. The good outweighs the bad but this may be a different experience for you.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Should I get Windows 10 preview on my lumia 928?

I would say so however (586.63 just installed so this may change,) you'll have to live with battery drain and if using as a hotspot it will stop sharing when the screen goes to sleep/locked (max timeout at 5 mins.) Despite these nuisances I have Bern using it for a month. The good outweighs the bad but this may be a different experience for you.
Pretty much sums up my experience too, except I can't turn hotspot on at all.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I had it from day one on my 928 and it runs great I believe it's close to 8.1 now I wouldn't be afraid to install it , there are no longer any big problem's w10 including the latest version but I don't use hotspot.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am on fast ring with my 928 as my daily driver.
seems to be working well. sluggish at times and the hotspot will disconnect if the screen goes blank (fixed by setting screen time out to never in lockscreen when using hotspot).

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
in lockscreen
all settings -> personalization -> lock screen
scroll to very bottom and there is screen time out after and combo box w settings you can choose.
928 allows for never which somedevices do not have choice of never in this selection.

bostonian088

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if there are any 928 users still out there but I found the battery drain to be the show-stopper on the earlier releases. I would get 5-6 hours of battery life with minimal phone usage and the phone was always hot to the touch. Can anyone confirm whether or not battery life has improved on the most recent releases?
Your feedback has been very helpful.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if there are any 928 users still out there but I found the battery drain to be the show-stopper on the earlier releases. I would get 5-6 hours of battery life with minimal phone usage and the phone was always hot to the touch. Can anyone confirm whether or not battery life has improved on the most recent releases?
Your feedback has been very helpful.
I'm on fast ring 10.0.10586.107. I took it off the Qi charger last night about 12:30 I think, or 2:30 ...ummm... IDK when I pulled it from the charger... the boys were on and off thru the night. Anyway, it is 8:50AM and I have 82% left with light text messages and looked at a few emails. Double tap to wake is on. Have Edge, people, store, phone, outlook mail and messaging open. Brightness is on auto.
Sometimes I notice the battery goes very fast when playing a game. I also hold Power and Volume Down after an update if I remember. I don't power down or hard reset much.

bostonian088

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response. It's helpful knowing that with all of those apps running in the background, the drain doesn't seem to be too bad. This is my daily driver but I'm planning on upgrading to Build 10586.122 via the Slow Ring this weekend or early next week.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I've had it on my 928 for several months now with no problems. Battery life for me is OK but my phone is almost three years old so it may be the battery and not the OS. I usually have at least 60% left at the end of the day with usually using phone, messaging, email during the day.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Changed my ring to Slow yesterday and got 164. Way better than 107. Battery life about the same.
I was unaware that you need to change your ring to get other updates.

I put it on my 640 as well (shhh, I might be leaving VZW soon) and it took about the same time to update both of the phones. The 640 runs W10M better than my 928 IMO.

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I too moved to 164 after going 8.1 for a while. Night and day difference versus 107--the OS is now ready for prime time. Biggest thing I've noticed is that LTE speeds scream now. I work in an office building and prior to moving back to this version of W10M, I could only get 2 or 3 Mbps at my desk. Now...it's 20-30 Mbps! I thought it might be an error (measured via TMN Lite in the Edge browser), but performance of apps supports the speed reading. It's possible that it's a coincidence and VZW lit up a new tower nearby, but I don't know about that. What I do know is that LTE performance is dramatically improved.

Now if MS could just get their W10M versions of News and Sports to stop crashing, we'll really be in business. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99