Should I get Windows 10 preview on my Lumia 928?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Should I get Windows 10 preview on my lumia 928?

It's my daily driver and I don't wanna have it screw anything up so do you guys think it's good enough to use as my daily driver?

Francois Tetu

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
You will just be another free guinea pig for Microsoft like I did. You will not be able to install windows mobile on the final version, as determined by the minimum requirement described from Microsoft. Stay with 8.1 until you decide to change phone.

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have tried it twice now, the most recent was the 10536 build. I am going to let someone else in the 928 world take the hit next time. Right now, back to 8.1 Denim, my camera fully loads shootable in sub 3secs, it's roughly 10x faster than on build 10536. The look and feel of W10 is fantastic and kept me on it for weeks longer than I should have. I just had forgotten how amazingly smooth the 8.1 experience was. So if 8.1 Denim on a clean build is the standard, W10 - as cool as the UX is - is like running a 18 month old phone on Android.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Should I get Windows 10 preview on my lumia 928?

I have it on my 928. It's...ok, not great. I jumped in with the last build, 10536. The latest build is definitely better, but it still has significant problems. Sounds like it wouldn't be a good for for you yet.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Sticking with 8.1, I need my data and it seems like the builds don't play nice with the 928 on Verizon's CDMA network. Not up for experimentation at the moment.

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
So was not convinced the build issue I saw was really what I saw. Ended up re-running the 10572 install and it DOES black out for a good while mid stream (no screen, no button detection, no nothing .... then that passes and all is fine). So take the leap of faith if it looks like it's locked up and there's no screen. The build is fantastic compared to the previous. It actually is close enough to performance to 8.1 that I wouldn't dream of going back now. The camera is quick enough, not 100% 8.1 speed but it's really close. The transition animations seem to now work which makes everything seem smooth like 8.1. I have not seen any ANY dumps yet and this was rebuilt 36 hours ago.

Really highly impressed with this build and that's by far the first time I have said that one the WM10 builds.

sdrexler11791

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just installed it yesterday. Took about 3 hours for it to install and update all of the APPs.. It is much faster and runs more smoothly then 8.1 update 2. Pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

MSStackFan

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have been running it (10581) since the above post (so 17-18 days) and don't think it's dumped on me yet. Really never thought of going back to 8.1 with this build so that says a good bit. It's fast enough that I don't notice it being slow compared to 8.1.

sconk

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been using last 3 builds of W10 and it is great with 10581. It freezes sometimes after a phone call but if I wait or just hold down the start button until it goes black, then it will come back on and work fine. Anyone know when we get 10586?

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been running all the preview builds on my 928. If you can accept a few freezes / crashes occasionally it will work. My 928 is broken (earpiece does not work) and I am trying to figure out my next move.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Have any of you had issues with connecting to Verizon's network? The two earlier builds I have tried didn't play nice with Verizon's 4G LTE at all.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Let sleeping dogs lie? Never, I'm installing the most current build now... time to cross my fingers.

Update: For the remaining four of you who are still using the 928 this build is a winner. There are minor lags but overall a satisfactory experience. My only complaint is that my photos aren't uploading to my OneDrive which I am sure is a setting that needs to be tweaked. WinMo10 is a winner!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett