End of the Road for the Lumia 928?

toph36

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Very disappointed that the Lumia 928 has been excluded from getting the official Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, and removed from the Insider Program. I had little hope that Verizon would do the right thing and enable the Lumia 928 to be upgraded. However, I did not expect that Microsoft would pull the plug on us Insiders. Yes, the Insider builds have been somewhat buggy, but they are getting better will every release. The main issue that I have is with Group Messaging no longer working, but I don't get a lot of group messages, so this is just a little annoyance for me. However, I know the fix for this and to optimize W10M for the Lumia 928 would require a firmware update from Verizon. Obviously Verizon is not willing to do that. Hopefully something changes. I am encouraged that Verizon is still selling the Lumia 735 and it is on the list for getting the update. I may be willing to go with the 735 if it gets the official update on Verizon, and until a Window 10 flagship device is available, maybe the HP Elite? I will see how the last of the W10M builds run on my 928. I just updated it will the latest build release yesterday. At least they haven't cut us off yet.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree that is the end for the Lumia 928. I have had mine since July 2013 and have been waiting to put the new OS on there and now it is not on the list of devices that will get Windows 10 Mobile. Verizon is not selling any great Windows Phones anymore and I do not honestly know what I will do for a future phone.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Was just about to pick up a new one. 735 here we come. Such a step down in camera, graphics, no glance, no hardware buttons, no camera button. I guess its only $192...

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Very disappointed that the Lumia 928 has been excluded from getting the official Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, and removed from the Insider Program. I had little hope that Verizon would do the right thing and enable the Lumia 928 to be upgraded. However, I did not expect that Microsoft would pull the plug on us Insiders. Yes, the Insider builds have been somewhat buggy, but they are getting better will every release. The main issue that I have is with Group Messaging no longer working, but I don't get a lot of group messages, so this is just a little annoyance for me. However, I know the fix for this and to optimize W10M for the Lumia 928 would require a firmware update from Verizon. Obviously Verizon is not willing to do that. Hopefully something changes. I am encouraged that Verizon is still selling the Lumia 735 and it is on the list for getting the update. I may be willing to go with the 735 if it gets the official update on Verizon, and until a Window 10 flagship device is available, maybe the HP Elite? I will see how the last of the W10M builds run on my 928. I just updated it will the latest build release yesterday. At least they haven't cut us off yet.

Could you tell me what build # your now on and how do you like so far and what build did you update from. I'm on the 10586.107 build on my 928 also thinking of updating today to 10586.164 but is it worth it. How is it for you.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Could you tell me what build # your now on and how do you like so far and what build did you update from. I'm on the 10586.107 build on my 928 also thinking of updating today to 10586.164 but is it worth it. How is it for you.
IDK what build # he is on, but I'm on 164 and it works better than 107.
Change your ring to slow. I know it's weird, but it works.

Zonker02

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Go with a Droid,
Windows Mobile seems to be breaking under their own weight.
They're unable to provide support to their old devices and making false promises to try and keep/obtain new.
Cellular providers are baffled by Windows Mobile and unable to provide any support other than a factory reset or a replacement.
After my contract is up with my current 928 I'm moving over to droid; their market place is more abundant and the support for the devices is amazing. I'm constantly depressed when I see an advertisement for a bank (TD/Capital One/Bank of America) or a game and there's no support for windows mobile.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
This may be it for the 928. Will still keep it for the great camera, and stay on 8.1

Just got a 735 because I want to stay on Verizon and Windows. Definitely a downgrade in terms of camera, camera button, GPU, no glance. Significant upgrade in terms on battery life, and there is are no weird phantom touch issues or screen unresponsiveness, previously present in all of my 928s. I bet it has something to do with the "pillow" glass that was used on the 928, which the following models got rid of.

The replaceable shells are nice with different colors, but the red one I got from the Microsoft Store has a discoloration from the sticker (with instructions how to remove the cover), and looks like a pale rectangular patch under certain lighting.

Overall - miss the hefty and premium flagship feel of the 928 and its wonderful camera. Long live 928.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I got my first 928 2 weeks after launch. It lasted 2 1/2 years. Got a "new" one from Newegg this past October and it's running fine. We were told we would be able to upgrade to 10, but now it's just more lies. I love my 928 and Verizon sucks for not keeping up with some decent new releases. No flagship? Really Verizon? Too bad the new Alcatel flagship is going to Tmob. That's a crying shame. I do have a friend who loves his 950xl and I'd have to switch to ATT, which I despise. So what's a windows lover supposed to do. I say screw 10 and I'll say a prayer every day that my 928 makes it till something better comes along on Verizon. If that doesn't happen ATT may have to do. Tmob is terrible out in the country when I'm on my motorcycle, Verizon has never let me down. I'm glad to see this thread isn't completely dead, as I hadn't looked at it in a while. I know one thing, I don't want to go back to Android and don't want an ifruit. I'll wait as long as I can before considering other options. Newegg is stock out of 928's, but if they get more I'll pick one up!

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
My friend just got a warranty replacement for his 928 on Verizon. His previous 928, still somewhat working, had Windows 10 Mobile installed. But his new one can't find any updates... Does this mean he can never get Windows 10 Mobile for his 928 ever again? It used to be supported, are those older builds no longer available?

EDIT: Nevermind, you can still get preview builds on the 928 by switching to the Release channel of Insider Builds. The slow and fast rings don't work anymore for the 928 though.

Last edited:

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
free928.jpg

"End of the Road for the Lumia 928?" Not for mine. The journey continues. Although, there have been roadblocks, i.e. no AWS software update (XLTE) and now not being included in the Windows 10 Mobile update, my 928 has been a pretty dependable ride. I feel that I have gotten much more than what I paid for it ($0.00) in September of 2013. When Microsoft took over Nokia, Windows Phone quality and commitment to excellence suffered. Considering the lack of interest in the mobile platform, I will not buy another Windows Phone but I will keep driving this one as long as I can. After all, it's just a phone. Right?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been out roughly the years they only guaranteed 36 months of support.o don't see how people are so shocked

Sent from mTalk

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
It's been out roughly the years they only guaranteed 36 months of support.o don't see how people are so shocked

Sent from mTalk

It's because Microsoft originally promised that all devices that supported Windows Phone 8.1 would be upgradeable to Windows 10, but over time, they kept cutting down that list and now they've knocked off a lot of high end Lumia phones which are still more powerful than the majority of currently supported Windows Phones. Aside from the Lumia ICON/930 and Lumia 950, Microsoft hasn't made a phone that's better than the Lumia 928 for almost 3 years now. Almost every phone they've made since the Lumia 928 have been totally inferior in specs all across the board. And then there's the Lumia ICON which barely lasted a year before Verizon dropped it. Yes, Verizon has 2 new Windows Phones right now, but they're both such huge downgrades. The Lumia 735 and LG Lancet are such basic phones by comparison to the 3 year old Lumia 928. Even the brand new Lumia 650 is still such a downgrade from the 928.

That's why everyone is shocked and upset. Aside from the Lumia 950, there are virtually no high end Windows Phones anymore that support Windows 10. Everyone has been waiting for a new flagship Windows Phone for years now and all we keep getting are cheap budget phones.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's because Microsoft originally promised that all devices that supported Windows Phone 8.1 would be upgradeable to Windows 10, but over time, they kept cutting down that list and now they've knocked off a lot of high end Lumia phones which are still more powerful than the majority of currently supported Windows Phones. Aside from the Lumia ICON/930 and Lumia 950, Microsoft hasn't made a phone that's better than the Lumia 928 for almost 3 years now. Almost every phone they've made since the Lumia 928 have been totally inferior in specs all across the board. And then there's the Lumia ICON which barely lasted a year before Verizon dropped it. Yes, Verizon has 2 new Windows Phones right now, but they're both such huge downgrades. The Lumia 735 and LG Lancet are such basic phones by comparison to the 3 year old Lumia 928. Even the brand new Lumia 650 is still such a downgrade from the 928.

That's why everyone is shocked and upset. Aside from the Lumia 950, there are virtually no high end Windows Phones anymore that support Windows 10. Everyone has been waiting for a new flagship Windows Phone for years now and all we keep getting are cheap budget phones.

There's not many phones getting updated after 3 years. The 928 is done for. Before windows 10 even became a thing they said 36 months of support.

Now the Microsoft Verizon relationship is pretty hard On windows fans but I can't explain or defend that. U have to either leave Verizon or deal with those cheap or discontinued phones. GSM users don't have these issues as we can always go unlocked.

Why stay with Verizon and their limited options? I had them and left for that very reason. U know their situation their windows phones are limited.

Sent from mTalk

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Another broken promise is bad news for a mobile operating system that is practically dead, and once again Microsoft has angered its small but loyal base of Windows Phone users.

How many of those users are going to shell out the money to upgrade their hardware to meet the specifications of 10? Up until now, Windows Phone has struggled, because only its owners (users) love it. Not developers, not wireless carriers, and not the device manufacturers.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There's not many phones getting updated after 3 years. The 928 is done for. Before windows 10 even became a thing they said 36 months of support.

Now the Microsoft Verizon relationship is pretty hard On windows fans but I can't explain or defend that. U have to either leave Verizon or deal with those cheap or discontinued phones. GSM users don't have these issues as we can always go unlocked.

Why stay with Verizon and their limited options? I had them and left for that very reason. U know their situation their windows phones are limited.

Sent from mTalk

I have no choice but to stay on Verizon since I'm part of a business plan. I unfortunately cannot just switch carriers on a whim. And besides, as others have mentioned, even though it's been 36 months, Microsoft DID promise that all Windows Phone 8 devices would be eligible to upgrade to Windows 10. It's the broken promises that are really wearing us out as well as the lack of decent hardware to upgrade to.

Another broken promise is bad news for a mobile operating system that is practically dead, and once again Microsoft has angered its small but loyal base of Windows Phone users.

How many of those users are going to shell out the money to upgrade their hardware to meet the specifications of 10? Up until now, Windows Phone has struggled, because only its owners (users) love it. Not developers, not wireless carriers, and not the device manufacturers.

Unfortunately, being on Verizon, I had no upgrade path for my Lumia 928. I waited over 1 year off contract and it got to the point where I had no choice but to pick something to upgrade too due to complications with our business plan. I refuse to severely downgrade my phone to the Lumia 735 so I ended up upgrading to a Galaxy S6 and I'll be stuck with that phone for the next 1.5 years. I hope by the end of my contract, Microsoft will have finally released an actual windows phone worth upgrading to. Not more of the low end budget phones they keep pushing out every year.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
On my Lumia 928, W10M runs slow. 218 has been the most stable so far and smoothest, but most of the time it is so slow and rarely it is fast. It makes sense that MS isn't rolling out W10M to the 928. After seeing first hand how W10M works on the 928, I cannot say that I'm disappointed that MS isn't putting W10M out to the public. I've been thinking of rolling back to 8.1 so that it is at least faster and more responsive. Currently I'm only using it for phone calls, text messages, music, podcasts and occasional pictures.

I've been off contract since November and I am ready to go to AT&T. I picked up a 640 for $40 and a MicroSD card. The 640 runs great on W10M. I've been using the 640 for email, games, surfing and streaming.

If I stay with VZW, I will get an ICON or 735. Since the 735 hardware is similar to my 640 (camera being only weak point of the 735) I would not be let down if I picked one up for a nice price. More than likely I will get an ICON just because the hardware is way better than both.
If I go with AT&T, I will use my 640 until I can afford a 950/XL, the mythical Surface Phone releases or I get a good deal on another phone with better specs.

BTW, contracts are not worth it. VZW month-to-month saved me $25 per line.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
If I stay with VZW, I will get an ICON or 735. Since the 735 hardware is similar to my 640 (camera being only weak point of the 735) I would not be let down if I picked one up for a nice price. More than likely I will get an ICON just because the hardware is way better than both.

MoeJ, Don't count on the ICON. It is not on the list of eligible phones. Probably because it is exclusively a Verizon phone.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
On my Lumia 928, W10M runs slow. 218 has been the most stable so far and smoothest, but most of the time it is so slow and rarely it is fast. It makes sense that MS isn't rolling out W10M to the 928. After seeing first hand how W10M works on the 928, I cannot say that I'm disappointed that MS isn't putting W10M out to the public. I've been thinking of rolling back to 8.1 so that it is at least faster and more responsive. Currently I'm only using it for phone calls, text messages, music, podcasts and occasional pictures.

I've been off contract since November and I am ready to go to AT&T. I picked up a 640 for $40 and a MicroSD card. The 640 runs great on W10M. I've been using the 640 for email, games, surfing and streaming.

If I go with AT&T, I will use my 640 until I can afford a 950/XL, the mythical Surface Phone releases or I get a good deal on another phone with better specs.

BTW, contracts are not worth it. VZW month-to-month saved me $25 per line.

My personal experience with Windows 10 on my lumia 928 was great. The latest build available for it runs much better than Windows phone 8.1 did. As long as you do a clean upgrade and reset the phone, it will run great. Hardware wise, the lumia 928 is still more powerful across the board compared to the 640. There's really no technical reason why the lumia 928 can't get windows 10 anymore. Especially when 400 and 500 series phone are on the list. Those super budget phones are nothing compared to the lumia 928. And the icon is also great but it too received the shaft from microsoft when it's nowhere near 36 months old. Not to mention it was considered the flagship windows phone before the 950...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb