Nokia Martini=Nokia Lumia 930

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if there's any chance the polycarbonate back plate of the device can be removed? I mean.. semi-easily? If we can change colors, I may consider it. Still might not though.

There's a thought. I'd like to know this as well. I love my white Nokia Lumia Icon, but it wouldn't be so bad to change colors every now and then.

One thing worth noting, though. You can only see the back plate when you're actually looking at it. From the front, and from a fair deal of side angles, you can't see the back plate. Only silver trim.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
There's a thought. I'd like to know this as well. I love my white Nokia Lumia Icon, but it wouldn't be so bad to change colors every now and then.

One thing worth noting, though. You can only see the back plate when you're actually looking at it. From the front, and from a fair deal of side angles, you can't see the back plate. Only silver trim.

Good point, I noticed that when I checked out the Icon again today at a Verizon store (went to take a closer look as soon as it was announced that the 930 was an Icon). So I guess the color isn't as significant in terms of presence as it would be on more traditional Lumia designs.

The press video of the 930. kinda made it look like the back plate could be removed without a terrible amount of hassle. (Around 10 seconds in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7eMY45Fw0M

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I love the design and their colours really seem to make a difference. Unfortunately I don't think there is red this time so I'll have to see the phone in person to decide which colour I'll choose, because, YES, this is going to be my next phone.

I was unsure if the specs could be slightly better than the ICON but it seems they are exactly the same. That isn't bad at all either! This is going to be blazing fast and future proof! No doubts about it. I was looking for a screen between 5" and 5.3" so this is it! Great size for me!

Just disappointed with the release date. 2 months to go...

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I love the design and their colours really seem to make a difference. Unfortunately I don't think there is red this time so I'll have to see the phone in person to decide which colour I'll choose, because, YES, this is going to be my next phone.

I was unsure if the specs could be slightly better than the ICON but it seems they are exactly the same. That isn't bad at all either! This is going to be blazing fast and future proof! No doubts about it. I was looking for a screen between 5" and 5.3" so this is it! Great size for me!

Just disappointed with the release date. 2 months to go...

You sure about this? What disappointed me is, it is last years specs and still have to wait for 2 months. This device should have been released along with Lumia 1520. For something that will be released on June, they could have used SD 801 or 805 processor with slightly better camera, or slightly bigger screen size, so that it could compete with Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z2

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You sure about this? What disappointed me is, it is last years specs and still have to wait for 2 months. This device should have been released along with Lumia 1520. For something that will be released on June, they could have used SD 801 or 805 processor with slightly better camera, or slightly bigger screen size, so that it could compete with Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z2

The SD801 is the same thing as the 800, just clocked higher so its a little faster. That's pretty much it. Its not so much "last years specs' as it is just 'process improvement' at this point.
The 805 processor is the one that's different and nothing uses that yet because its not ready for prime time. Most likely we'll see devices equipped with this processor during the next wave of mobiles in Septemberish timeframe.
The flagship situation isn't like last year where WP was stuck with snapdragon S4 Pro dual cores competing with quad core snapdragon 600s. We have Snapdragon 800 beasts vs alittle bit faster snapdragon 801 beasts. Could they have used the 801s? yeah it probably would look a little better considering how many people think the 801 is such new hat vs the old outdated 800 when they're practically the same thing.
Everything else is also par for the course...20mpx camera (HTC One M8 has a 4mpx, Galaxy S5 has the same 13mpx as the S4, IPhone I think still uses 8mpx, Sony Xperia Z I believe has 20mpx), 5" screen (HTC One m8 is 5", S5 is 5.1", Xperia is 5.2"), internal space (either 16gb or 32gb, but the others have the MicroSD slot, so at least the 930 uses 32gb), so I don't see how anyone should be disappointed (aside from lack of SD card) with this device. But since the Icon was released back in August (or whenever it was) this SHOULD have been released then (since its practically the same thing), but Nokia and its infinite wisdom gives carriers their 6months of exclusivity which kills any momentum. Especially when I heard nary a peep of the Icon leading up to its release.

Still, this was what I wanted, a smaller 1520, and it took awhile but its finally out there. I'd like to have a 1020 successor with the snapdragon 805 (at this point that seems to be the likely processor it'll use) but im ready to retire my Lumia 710 anytime now. I probably would have bit the bullet on a 1520 back in August or whenever it was launched but its too damn big for my tastes.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The SD801 is the same thing as the 800, just clocked higher so its a little faster. That's pretty much it. Its not so much "last years specs' as it is just 'process improvement' at this point.
The 805 processor is the one that's different and nothing uses that yet because its not ready for prime time. Most likely we'll see devices equipped with this processor during the next wave of mobiles in Septemberish timeframe.
The flagship situation isn't like last year where WP was stuck with snapdragon S4 Pro dual cores competing with quad core snapdragon 600s. We have Snapdragon 800 beasts vs alittle bit faster snapdragon 801 beasts. Could they have used the 801s? yeah it probably would look a little better considering how many people think the 801 is such new hat vs the old outdated 800 when they're practically the same thing.
Everything else is also par for the course...20mpx camera (HTC One M8 has a 4mpx, Galaxy S5 has the same 13mpx as the S4, IPhone I think still uses 8mpx, Sony Xperia Z I believe has 20mpx), 5" screen (HTC One m8 is 5", S5 is 5.1", Xperia is 5.2"), internal space (either 16gb or 32gb, but the others have the MicroSD slot, so at least the 930 uses 32gb), so I don't see how anyone should be disappointed (aside from lack of SD card) with this device. But since the Icon was released back in August (or whenever it was) this SHOULD have been released then (since its practically the same thing), but Nokia and its infinite wisdom gives carriers their 6months of exclusivity which kills any momentum. Especially when I heard nary a peep of the Icon leading up to its release.

Still, this was what I wanted, a smaller 1520, and it took awhile but its finally out there. I'd like to have a 1020 successor with the snapdragon 805 (at this point that seems to be the likely processor it'll use) but im ready to retire my Lumia 710 anytime now. I probably would have bit the bullet on a 1520 back in August or whenever it was launched but its too damn big for my tastes.

Yes I agree that there isn't much difference between SD800 and SD801. Yes SD800 is still a very good processor. 801 might be an incremental update over 800, but it has 44% faster image processor, so it could overcome the limitation that Lumia 1520 and ICON is facing ATM, where the video recording is crappy and the low light images are not as good as Lumia 920. With a better image processor, it can possible bring burst shot mode with 0 shutter lag, just like the way it is with iPhone 5s, where I've taken 100 images in burst mode, without any shutter lag.

Lumia 930 is in incredible device, but its my personal openion, that its bit late for the party. So by delaying it till June, Nokia could have made it slight different compared to ICON, like 5.2 inch screen. Could have increased the lens size, the aperture size and implemented dual speakers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon