Hard time believing 930 is merely a global ICON

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody else feel the same way? Verizon has historically lagged behind AT&T in terms of Nokia Windows Phones (AT&T got the 920 first, AT&T got the 1520 first, ONLY AT&T has the 1020, etc.) Would it be completely unheard of to have some advances in this 930? I am skeptical of the current rumors, but that may be just me.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
That intrigues me.... So will the 930 have technological advances from the ICON? I am not getting my hopes up for anything that is unlikely (2k screens, etc etc.) But potentially the 3d touch and on screen buttons could be included?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody else feel the same way? Verizon has historically lagged behind AT&T in terms of Nokia Windows Phones (AT&T got the 920 first, AT&T got the 1520 first, ONLY AT&T has the 1020, etc.) Would it be completely unheard of to have some advances in this 930? I am skeptical of the current rumors, but that may be just me.

I'm also having a hard time believing it!

Firstly because Verizon never received the latest and greatest first! That's always AT@T and I don't think we have any reasons to believe that is going to change now. As far as I understand, there is a deal between NOKIA and AT&T that gives them always the best devices.

Secondly, the LUMIA ICON is an excellent phone but is has last years specs (like the LUMIA 1520). Is NOKIA going to keep giving us phones with 6 months old specs? I thought they were all over introducing flagships that come with the latest tech inside. They did that last year with the 1520 but the same specs won't do it again. Competitors (Galaxy S5 and HTC One) already have Snapdragon 801 which is a slight improvement over the 800.

So, what I believe right now is that, apart from the design differences (which I think will be obvious... probably colourful polycarbonate and thinner), the phones will not be so different but the 930 will be slightly better. I'm hopping for a slightly improved camera, maybe a Snapdragon 801 processor, greater battery life and maybe some co-processors which will give it more motion detection and voice capabilities. But I don't expect it to be groundbreaking! No Snapdragon 805, no 2K screen resolutions, etc. Lets keep it real guys.

Wrapping up: I believe the LUMIA 930 will not be exactly like a LUMIA ICON, aside from the design differences I believe it's going to be better but not hugely better.

I wish it could at least rival other competitors flagships.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Firstly because Verizon never received the latest and greatest first! That's always AT@T and I don't think we have any reasons to believe that is going to change now. As far as I understand, there is a deal between NOKIA and AT&T that gives them always the best devices.

Secondly, the LUMIA ICON is an excellent phone but is has last years specs (like the LUMIA 1520). Is NOKIA going to keep giving us phones with 6 months old specs? I thought they were all over introducing flagships that come with the latest tech inside. They did that last year with the 1520 but the same specs won't do it again. Competitors (Galaxy S5 and HTC One) already have Snapdragon 801 which is a slight improvement over the 800.

So, what I believe right now is that, apart from the design differences (which I think will be obvious... probably colourful polycarbonate and thinner), the phones will not be so different but the 930 will be slightly better. I'm hopping for a slightly improved camera, maybe a Snapdragon 801 processor, greater battery life and maybe some co-processors which will give it more motion detection and voice capabilities. But I don't expect it to be groundbreaking! No Snapdragon 805, no 2K screen resolutions, etc. Lets keep it real guys.

Wrapping up: I believe the LUMIA 930 will not be exactly like a LUMIA ICON, aside from the design differences I believe it's going to be better but not hugely better.

I wish it could at least rival other competitors flagships.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The 1520 was the equalizer, I do not think Nokia/MSFT will look back from that. They are in the fight now.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people are so sure it'll be a 4.5" display. For every rumor stating that, there are others saying it'll be 5". Even one site reporting 5.2".

Juan Pablo Ursic

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
The universal Icon is speculated to be the Lumia 929, not the 930. The 930 is supposed to have a smaller 4.5" screen.

Really don't think that the 930 will pack a 4.5" screen being the 630 that packs the same size, i guess it'll be 4.7/8" or 5", whichever it is i hope it fits under the same dimentions of the 920.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The universal Icon is speculated to be the Lumia 929, not the 930. The 930 is supposed to have a smaller 4.5" screen.

Do you have anything to support this claim or this is just you "assuming". A screen as small as 4.5" for a high end phone in this day and age. That's a 2 in my rum'o'meter

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Honestly and logically, I don't think Nokia needs those kind of high-end specs. Snapdragon 800 is already an overkill to WP! And second, if you've read about the camera tricks that the Snapdragon 801 can do, you'll realize that Nokia had been capable of those even with outdated processors!

Wake up, pal! No offense meant but there's no sense adding those high-end specs on Nokia WP. Nokia Lumias even manage to outlast Android and iPhones with the same battery. And just to rub it in, games can run even on 512 RAM!

I think the beauty of Lumias lie with simplicity but functioning effectively. And their PureView tech and Carl Zeiss lens are enough to justify their prices even with outdated hardware. I think what Nokia needs to impress us will be more polishing of apps.

Change topic. I feel that the 930 won't be a global Icon; I think it would be something like that but without the aluminum body and AMOLED screen.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

fauzanade

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Honestly and logically, I don't think Nokia needs those kind of high-end specs. Snapdragon 800 is already an overkill to WP! And second, if you've read about the camera tricks that the Snapdragon 801 can do, you'll realize that Nokia had been capable of those even with outdated processors!

Wake up, pal! No offense meant but there's no sense adding those high-end specs on Nokia WP. Nokia Lumias even manage to outlast Android and iPhones with the same battery. And just to rub it in, games can run even on 512 RAM!

I think the beauty of Lumias lie with simplicity but functioning effectively. And their PureView tech and Carl Zeiss lens are enough to justify their prices even with outdated hardware. I think what Nokia needs to impress us will be more polishing of apps.

Change topic. I feel that the 930 won't be a global Icon; I think it would be something like that but without the aluminum body and AMOLED screen.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Latest processor mean more efficient processor. I don't mind my Lumia last a week while playing Aspalt HD or shoot photo quicker (especially for the next 1020).
I think its time Nokia move to Snapdragon 8xx, 6xx, or 4xx from outadated S4 series.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As long as they will make a handier high end phone as well...4,5" is maximum for some people. Not everyone is playing and watching video. There are actually people working with the phone. And to read stuff I don't need a huge screen in my pocket. Stupid world

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Snapdragon 800 vs 801 isn't that big a deal to me. However, if the 801 made processing 41 mp photos significantly faster I'd of course welcome it.

I'd actually like there to be a separate processor just for the camera. It would be awesome to take consecutive 41 mp photos at high speed.

It would also be cool to have a 5mp camera on the front. If the Pureview tech already makes the phone a bit thicker anyway, might as well make use of the space by adding a high quality front facing camera. I expect Skype (or video calling in general) popularity to keep increasing. Having high quality while doing it would be nice.

Also, let's hope that with WP8.1 opening up video APIs, we see an awesome video editing app made by Nokia.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Guys, think a little bit of marketing here too. If Nokia wants to gain recognition among the brands with best and most advanced technology, LUMIA flagships have to come with latest and greatest specs. I'm not saying that WP needs huge specs to run great, we all know that is not true and we have known it for a long time. I'm talking about something different here, marketing, brand recognition and notoriety, that's a very important sales vehicle.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm just eager to know what the screen size would be cause that might be what would make me pick this over the 1520(5.5" or more would be a quick buy)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Guys, think a little bit of marketing here too. If Nokia wants to gain recognition among the brands with best and most advanced technology, LUMIA flagships have to come with latest and greatest specs. I'm not saying that WP needs huge specs to run great, we all know that is not true and we have known it for a long time. I'm talking about something different here, marketing, brand recognition and notoriety, that's a very important sales vehicle.

+930

It also gives less ammunition for for biased tech blogs to hate on Lumia.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm just eager to know what the screen size would be cause that might be what would make me pick this over the 1520(5.5" or more would be a quick buy)

Same with me. This is by far the most important spec I'm awaiting with the Lumia 930. We know it'll preform well, but 4.5" is just too small... 5" is borderline acceptable, and 6" is too big. 5.3" to 5.5" would be perfect for me.

scottwallace5

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
For me the Lumia 930 perfect screen size would be a 4.7 inch device, 5 inches feels a little big for me, but we'll see I guess. And with the rumors saying it has a 16GB internal, I hope it comes in 32 along with the rumored microSD card slot. And I hope to heavens, that ATT doesn't leave out the Qi wireless charging like they did with the 1520!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99