930 on AT&T (What LTE band to look for)

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the reason no US launch was mentioned at build is because of the terms of Verizon's deal, just like they couldn't acknowledge the 928's existence until right before release. Assuming the Icon is a timed exclusive, I'm betting it won't be very long after the international launch before it hits at&t/tmobile/etc. but they can't talk about it right now. Whether it uses the Icon or 930 branding is yet to be seen.

Kacey Green

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
So are there actually ANY Lumia models that have full ATT compatibility but that are not sold by ATT directly? Or is ATT so unique that none of the international models will ever support the unusual bands?

I've got the Lumia 1520.3 RM-938 that's not controlled by att other than when I've got their sim in it

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes, really.

Every spec list I've seen for the 930, including the one on Nokia's freaking home page, lists it as a quad band LTE device. (EDIT: Nokia's press release for the phone lists it as weird band, but the link I included lists 5 bands, so perhaps it's actually pentaband) So if your carrier has the bands, you're good to go. My carrier does utilize one of its bands (though they're about to roll out their 700mhz spectrum, which the 930 doesn't have a band for) so my understanding is that it will work fine on LTE.

And if you're going to make a matter of fact statement like that on a forum, particularly when it flies in the face of the official company page, it's not unreasonable to be expected to prove your statement is accurate.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys have to remember that in North America, they use the AWS spectrum for LTE as well as a 2600mhz band.
The AWS spectrum is 1700/2100 as I recall and I think you need both of them to get proper LTE. Don't quote me on that, ive been confused as hell with the LTE differences and bands when ive been searching for this stuff (since its not 100% clear half the time).
But as far as I can recall, the LTE bands need to be:
Band 4 = 1700/2100 AWS
Band 7 = 2600mhz
Band 26 (or something = 700mhz (rolling out in Canada soon)
Band 1 is also 2100 but I don't think that can be used for LTE.

WCDMA bands are 850/900/1900/2100 and that should be widely available. (1700 is also used but for the more budget carriers like tmobile, wind, etc. So you'll have to watch out for that one)

If LTE doesn't match then at least you should have fully functioning 3G/fake 4G connectivity.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, really.

Every spec list I've seen for the 930, including the one on Nokia's freaking home page, lists it as a quad band LTE device. (EDIT: Nokia's press release for the phone lists it as weird band, but the link I included lists 5 bands, so perhaps it's actually pentaband) So if your carrier has the bands, you're good to go. My carrier does utilize one of its bands (though they're about to roll out their 700mhz spectrum, which the 930 doesn't have a band for) so my understanding is that it will work fine on LTE.

And if you're going to make a matter of fact statement like that on a forum, particularly when it flies in the face of the official company page, it's not unreasonable to be expected to prove your statement is accurate.
I took your post as not very serious, since the whole thread offers bunch of links (wiki and nokia specs). It seemed to me that you randomly picked up some post and asked for proof of a statement. Since i'm an electrical engineer with RF background, i do not need wiki to understand LTE/WCDMA bands; besides that it seemed redundant to me to link wiki or nokia countless times. On top of that he is correct, international L930 won't get LTE on ATT, as backed up by several posters.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The US and Canada are wankers like that. They use odd bands.

The US and Canada don't have a damn thing to do with it.

The ITU divides the world up into regions, and North and South America are in ITU region 2.

You get a phone that supports ITU Region 2 bands and you are good to go.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There was an article earlier today that iys back in stock at Negri and Newegg in white black and yellow for $625.00

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just wish there was a SOC that contained all LTE Bands and that would sort this mess out completely. But that is wishful thinking and as Inteller has stated it is down to the ITU (International Telecommunication Union) region and band allocation.

Here is a ITU Region map:
ITU Region Map

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't any phone on AT&T or even rumored right now that is exciting, and I'm talking WP8, Android or iOS.
It's a pretty boring time right now. A compatible 930 would have been really nice.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Bringing back this thread... so Expansys has the 930 on their site but according to them these are the bands that are supported:

Network
​•WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100 (1,2,5,8)

•GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 (2,3,5,8)
•LTE: 800/900/1800/2100/2600 (1,3,7,8,20)

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Bringing back this thread... so Expansys has the 930 on their site but according to them these are the bands that are supported:

Network
​•WCDMA: 850/900/1900/2100 (1,2,5,8)

•GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 (2,3,5,8)
•LTE: 800/900/1800/2100/2600 (1,3,7,8,20)

For AT&T, that phone will have 2G and 3G. For T-Mobile, 2G and 3G in refarmed areas. No LTE on either.

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
What I'm wondering is if the phone will be able to recieve MMS. People said the 929 would "totally work" on other mobile carrier blah blah, the bands, blah blah, but nobody on AT&T were able to recieve pictures via text and a few other strange occorences. Can anyone confirm in USA using a 930 that they don't have these problems? The difference between LTE and 3G and 4G doesn't really phase me as I use an actual, real computer to get things done on the internet.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What I'm wondering is if the phone will be able to recieve MMS. People said the 929 would "totally work" on other mobile carrier blah blah, the bands, blah blah, but nobody on AT&T were able to recieve pictures via text and a few other strange occorences. Can anyone confirm in USA using a 930 that they don't have these problems? The difference between LTE and 3G and 4G doesn't really phase me as I use an actual, real computer to get things done on the internet.

The Icon is a tricky beast to figure out. It has all the supported bands for North America, it comes sim unlocked but its still apparently locked into Verizon's network so although technically it should be able to work with all the other carriers it just doesnt. An unlocked 930 should not have the issues with the icon on non-Verizon networks (aside from lack of LTE, international 930 doesnt have the supported LTE bands, whereas Verizon Icon does but its still locked to Verizon somehow apparently).
If the MMS issue has been anything like ive had to deal with on my old Tmobile 710 on Canadian telus network, I had to fiddle around with the APN settings (manual, automatic via network tool, reboot phone after change, etc) several times before it actually stuck consistently. Sometimes I had it successfully send an MMS (send an mms to yourself as a test. If it cant send, you'll have to play around with the APN settings again) only to have it not work right after.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
To get LTE on ATT it would need band 4 and band 17
To get WCDMA (3G) on ATT it would need band 2 and band 5

To get LTE on T-Mobile it would need band 4 and band 17
To get WCDMA (3G) on T-Mobile it would need band 4 and band 2 (band 2 is only for the newly re-farmed areas)

Wait, what? When did AT&T and T-Mo switch to CDMA and how did they sneak such a switch through without breaking every phone they've sold?

Hey you guys see this? They are claiming there'll be an NA version of the 930 coming: https://twitter.com/omegacell/status/487759653774688257

It's since been retracted. Bad info.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wait, what? When did AT&T and T-Mo switch to CDMA and how did they sneak such a switch through without breaking every phone they've sold?

It's since been retracted. Bad info.

WCDMA is the 3GPP or GSM standard for 3G. It's not the same as CDMA2000 as used by Verizon and Sprint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99