glance screen

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Feels odd to me that the 920 I bought a year and a half ago feels superior to the Icon/930. I was really looking forward to upgrading. I have double-tap, glance screen, and what is (IMO) a much more aesthetically appealing design. I'm sure the Icon/930 is superior in other ways (like true rich sound recording), but those are things I won't be utilizing nearly as much as the things it lacks.

Still unsure whether I'll jump to the gargantuan 1520 (RM-938 variant) or just wait to see what the holidays have to offer.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Feels odd to me that the 920 I bought a year and a half ago feels superior to the Icon/930. I was really looking forward to upgrading. I have double-tap, glance screen, and what is (IMO) a much more aesthetically appealing design. I'm sure the Icon/930 is superior in other ways (like true rich sound recording), but those are things I won't be utilizing nearly as much as the things it lacks.

To be fair the biggest selling point over the 920 will be the PureView 20MP camera. Should be quite a step up over an already stellar camera and the camera is a major selling point for a lot of people.

Then the faster processor is something that would be nice but not necessary, my 920 doesn't feel slow!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To be fair the biggest selling point over the 920 will be the PureView 20MP camera. Should be quite a step up over an already stellar camera and the camera is a major selling point for a lot of people.

Then the faster processor is something that would be nice but not necessary, my 920 doesn't feel slow!

Yeah, the camera should be better. The 920 ain't too shabby, with Purview and OIS which was a huge step up for WP. But if we're to buy or upgrade phones once every two years, say, I'm not sure the camera alone is worth the upgrade. Sure there are other things about the 930 that make it superior to the 920, but some things that are inferior as well. Aesthetics for one (at least IMO), and the 930 doesn't have glance, and might not even have double tap.

I'm curious to see how our 920s will perform with WP 8.1. I'm itching for upgrade but the 1520 is just too massive and the 930 is underwhelming to me. I was so much more excited when the 920 was announced.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Great, at least now i have no reason to abandon my 925, it'll stay with me until it dies and Nokia releases a proper lumia with no features missing. I want glance, they got me used to it, and now i cant be without it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You should try it, it's the best thing to happen to smartphones since dumbphones.

I did. I didn't like it. It was way to distracting. The slightest thing would turn it up.
I rather double-tap to wake and check the lock-screen. Actually, double-tap is the kind of feature I am no longer willing to part with. I'm therefore glad it's a feature that is coming to more and more phones (Android phones are getting them: LG, Sony and HTC all have it now).

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It should be noted that the Icon currently has neither glance or double-tap. I actually do think that they are connected. It's encouraging to see double-tap listed on the 930's specs.

Don't know if this had been settled, yet, but the 930 does have double-tap, as seen here at 3'45:

HTC One (M8) vs Nokia Lumia 930 - YouTube

​Glance is a bummer, I agree, but double tap is good enough for me, so a 930 it is ;)

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
The 930 will NOT include the Glance Screen because of a hardware limitation with the AMOLED Display Memory, which MS/Nokia didn't want to spend the extra cash on (The Nokia Lumia Icon and 930 do not have Glance, here’s why | Windows Phone Central). That is unfortunate, as I was looking forward to making a change from my nearly 2 year old 920. As their flagship device, MS/Nokia shouldn't have been quibbling over a few dollars. This is a deal-breaker for me; my 920 still works great, I will wait for the next "flagship" device, WHICH SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING!!!

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I have never consider the 930 as the latest Nokia flagship. It's simply an international version of the ICON. IMHO I would consider the 1520 to be the flagship as it has everything that the 930 & more - bigger screen. Nokia was in the midst of being acquired by Microsoft & I guess they couldn't be bothered with a real flagship. This they leave it to the new owner - Microsoft.
I'm using a 1020 now & I still consider it to be the flagship. It may have a lesser processor / Dual core but Window OS is so power efficient you don't really feel the difference with the quart core. The only thing is the rather small batt capacity @ 2000 mAh. Funny you know that the 1520 has Gorilla 2 screen & the 1020 being launched rather earlier has Gorilla 3. It doesn't make sense to have a Gorilla 2 on such a massive screen. Cutting corners as I see it. Coming back to lack of "glance" feature in 930. It doesn't bother me much & of cause it would be nice to have it. The deal breaker is: It lacks SD card support & an improved 1020 camera.
Cheers mate!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping Nokia or rather the ex-nokians can work their magic and think of something - maybe utilize a low power state for the display, cpu, ram etc. Right now I'm flipping between the 1520 and 930 in terms of upgrading my trusty 920. I guess I will wait until the 930 gets released first, check the reviews and follow other people's experiences before taking the plunge.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping Nokia or rather the ex-nokians can work their magic and think of something - maybe utilize a low power state for the display, cpu, ram etc. Right now I'm flipping between the 1520 and 930 in terms of upgrading my trusty 920. I guess I will wait until the 930 gets released first, check the reviews and follow other people's experiences before taking the plunge.

Since the Icon is the same thing and on display at Verizon and Microsoft Stores, I did my comparison there and went with a 1520. I was also upgrading from a 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs