Who's planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

I actually prefer this design to the 920 or the 1520. The aluminium gives it such a great premium look. I also like the 925 more than the 920 because of the aluminium.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Was thinking about it but its design is so uninspired, I hope this isnt going to become a trend under MS

That is by far my biggest worry associated with the Nokia D&S takeover... a change in design language. Really hoping the 930/Icon is a one-off, like the 928.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Was hoping for a mini 1520 rather than a Global Icon so as to replace my ageing 920.

Don't fancy the lack of Glance (OLED screen) and lack of MicroSD.

On the fence re the design.

Will probably pass.

vamsikatta

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

All I see in it is a 1520 with a smaller screen. Sensible, but not really worth the wait. Unless big screens are a serious no no. I, prolly, will get myself the 1520. I am switching to windows from Android and I hope the experience is good.

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Like some of you have expressed, I too am disappointed in the shape of the 930. I was hoping for a shape design like the 1520. I don't like the "brick' design. I was also hoping for the hardware buttons to be removed and onscreen buttons used instead, because this would then encourage people to port Android to the handset, opening up the possibility of a dual boot Windows Phone /Andoid handset.

Marco Gomes1

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

No. I won't buy another phone without micro sd card, ever. I have to keep juggling with my music library on my 920 with 32 GB so there's no friggin way im splashing over 500? on a Phone and go thrugh that trouble another couple of years. Hoping for a decent htc or sony Z2ish (one can dream).

bigmickc22

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I really like the white one. It will be a welcome replacement to my dying Lumia 800.
I think the 930 will be the perfect upgrade :)

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

I like the idea of the device but the lack of sd support is a deal breaker. Why have such a beast of a phone and then limit it. Music, hd movies, hd games, raw camera images - these all conspire to drain storage and an sd slit would at least offer respite.

I really don't know why they did that.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Me, being be, will obviously buy it.

HOWEVER, I'm European. And we Europeans buy phones at full price, not on carrier contracts. Now, this phone will cost 650€ in Europe (750€ in Portugal thanks to the ever stealing retailers here). I will NOT buy this phone at full price. Which means pre-order is out of the question.
I'm not spending 650€ on a 6 months old phone that is already outdated internally when compared with the competition's flagships.
I will buy this when the price comes down to 500€ or bellow (just like the 1520 has already come). If I want to spend 650€ on a phone, it better be a true 2014 flagship. And that means: SD801, 3GB RAM, 2.3 to 2.5Ghz, microSD card etc. Just like every single Android flagship released so far.
And yes, I know, WP doesn't need those specs bla bla bla. Well, neither does Android 4.4. It's still good to have them as a bit of future proof. Also...no microSD? Yeah...

So in resume, yes I'll buy it, no I won't pre-order it nor get it within the first 3 months of availability (unless Nokia sends me one for free, of course).

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I want one now to replace my iPhone 5, which is my goto phone. I have a lumia 1520 but its honestly a tad too big for me. That and I'm having issues with mms using Aiowireless.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

The lack of an SD card does not bother me at all...try living with the Att handicapped 1520 and 16 GB and having to constantly monitor what you download and save to your phone.

I kind of want it....in orange or green. But i am a bit wary about going down from a 1520 to a 930....just for a color as it really has nothing over my 1520 besides wireless charging and double memory.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just can't bring myself to. At least not just yet. Disappointed in it, mainly the design, but other things as well. Really, the only thing I like about it is the colors. I'll either get a 1520 or wait to see what the holiday season has in store (Goldfinger, please).

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid device, and some do like the design. Just not my cup of tea.

You are right, its a solid device. Buy 8 months down the line, Nokia could have used better specs like SD801 or 805 and a better camera. This is definitely not a flagship device

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I am thinking about getting it but having to wait until June is tedious plus it depends on sim free price here in the UK. In some ways i am thinking maybe i should just buy a 1020 instead hmmm

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Me, being be, will obviously buy it.

HOWEVER, I'm European. And we Europeans buy phones at full price, not on carrier contracts. Now, this phone will cost 650€ in Europe (750€ in Portugal thanks to the ever stealing retailers here). I will NOT buy this phone at full price. Which means pre-order is out of the question.
I'm not spending 650€ on a 6 months old phone that is already outdated internally when compared with the competition's flagships.
I will buy this when the price comes down to 500€ or bellow (just like the 1520 has already come). If I want to spend 650€ on a phone, it better be a true 2014 flagship. And that means: SD801, 3GB RAM, 2.3 to 2.5Ghz, microSD card etc. Just like every single Android flagship released so far.
And yes, I know, WP doesn't need those specs bla bla bla. Well, neither does Android 4.4. It's still good to have them as a bit of future proof. Also...no microSD? Yeah...

So in resume, yes I'll buy it, no I won't pre-order it nor get it within the first 3 months of availability (unless Nokia sends me one for free, of course).

The SD801 is just a higher clocked and slightly improved SD800......and that is due to silicon advancement.
The 805 is the one that is different. (SD800 and SD801 uses Krait 400 CPU cores and Adreno 330 GPU, the SD805 uses Krait 450 cores and Adreno420 GPU)

Just so you know, no one uses an 805 yet.....

Having an 800 or an 801 is just as equally futureproof as each other...
If you had a Samsung Galaxy S4, you had the 800, S5 gives you the 801.
If you had a HTC One, you had a 600, the One M8 gives you the 801.
LG G2 still has the 800
Sony Xperia Z1 had the 800, the Z2 has the 801.
All smartphones nowadays are retardedly powerful unless you get a low end model.

MicroSD...that's more of a design decision not an 'outdated' model. That one I can agree on.

I plan on getting one, 32gb is fine for me, I would have liked a micro SD like in the 1520 though. Other than that its the smaller 1520 that I wanted (well I wanted a 1020 equipped with the SD800). Its time to retire my 710 (8gb non-expandable internal memory, that's a painful to live with lol) and I am not waiting until Novemberish for the next batch of (most likely) SD805 equipped smartphones. I believe the 1020 successor would likely be announced around that time though, that one had better be equipped with the 805.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

The lack of an SD card does not bother me at all...try living with the Att handicapped 1520 and 16 GB and having to constantly monitor what you download and save to your phone.

I kind of want it....in orange or green. But i am a bit wary about going down from a 1520 to a 930....just for a color as it really has nothing over my 1520 besides wireless charging and double memory.
Windows 8.1 will allow Apps to SD freeing up lots of room on the internal memory.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

My 920 has been with me a year now..... and still works a charm
I want to see how it performs with 8.1 and take it from there....

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

The SD801 is just a higher clocked and slightly improved SD800......and that is due to silicon advancement.
The 805 is the one that is different. (SD800 and SD801 uses Krait 400 CPU cores and Adreno 330 GPU, the SD805 uses Krait 450 cores and Adreno420 GPU)

Just so you know, no one uses an 805 yet.....

Having an 800 or an 801 is just as equally futureproof as each other...
If you had a Samsung Galaxy S4, you had the 800, S5 gives you the 801.
If you had a HTC One, you had a 600, the One M8 gives you the 801.
LG G2 still has the 800
Sony Xperia Z1 had the 800, the Z2 has the 801.
All smartphones nowadays are retardedly powerful unless you get a low end model.

MicroSD...that's more of a design decision not an 'outdated' model. That one I can agree on.

I plan on getting one, 32gb is fine for me, I would have liked a micro SD like in the 1520 though. Other than that its the smaller 1520 that I wanted (well I wanted a 1020 equipped with the SD800). Its time to retire my 710 (8gb non-expandable internal memory, that's a painful to live with lol) and I am not waiting until Novemberish for the next batch of (most likely) SD805 equipped smartphones. I believe the 1020 successor would likely be announced around that time though, that one had better be equipped with the 805.

I know about the 805. It's only going for sale on devices at the end of the year. Still, having the latest chips wouldn't hurt them. On the contrary, given the prices they'll be asking for the 930, they should put the latest tech in it. At least that way, when the consumer goes to a store and starts to just look at the numbers between flagships, they wouldn't think "Wait...they're asking more for this when these numbers are inferior to that other device there?". It'd be just good business.

The microSD is really inexcusable. When all the new flagships have it, when one of the big innovations of Windows Phone 8.1 itself is the ability of saving stuff directly to the SD card, having a flagship sold as "the best of Lumia and Microsoft" without it, it's just a shot in the foot.

As for the successor to the 1020...it shouldn't come until the end of the year, at best, IF it comes. Remember, meanwhile Nokia is going away and there's no guarantee that Microsoft will keep pouring so much money into flagship imaging devices. And they would need real imaging innovations to justify the refresh of such a niche device as the 1020.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo