Who's planning on getting the Nokia Lumia 930?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's why I don't pre-order yet ...

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I'll disclose why I'm pre-ordering it for the first time ever: it's Nokia's last phone.
Also, the sooner I get it, the more time I'll be able to enjoy it. Because I know, if the rumours of a Sony WP device come true and Sony does release a version of the Z2 running Windows Phone, I'll be getting it for the microSD card.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For those interested, the 930 is available for pre-order in the Netherlands for 505€ including VAT, with free delivery Nokia smartphone 930 Zwart A00019550 kopen ?€“ Online Bestellen ?€? Gratis verzending vanaf ?‚? 25,- » Centralpoint.nl
However they only deliver within the Netherlands.

ZDnet Belgium had also an article today about the possibility of Microsoft Mobile launching the phone in Belgium for 499€
http://www.zdnet.be/article/155788/nokia-prijst-nieuwe-vlaggenschip-onder-500-euro/

I've cancelled all my pre-orders. I'll be waiting to see where I can get it cheaper, specially after Expansys made some weird sums with the values of the pre-order.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I personally despise pre-orders. All it does is guarantee your money goes to a specific vendor... doesn't guarantee you'll be among the first to receive the device. I remember a ton of people pre-ordering the Lumia 920. They ended up getting it later (in some cases much later) than those of us that waited to see which vendors actually got them in stock first.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I really want to get a 930 (when my contract expires in April next year. Ahem). It would be the perfect phone for me, but there is only 1 gripe I have. Lack of an SD card functionality. I use a Lumia 920 at the moment, and I constantly have to delete photos and videos and cannot even keep my whole music collection on the phone because the space gets used up. I know OneDrive is all well and good, but it's not good for accessing and storing gigs of media in an instant. Why didn't they have a SD slot?!

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I was just looking at the specs on this phone & it looks like it does not have the use to add extra memory via micro cards etc. is this true?

Expandable memory card type: No

• Memory
    • User data storage: In device, OneDrive cloud storage
    • RAM: 2 GB
    • Mass memory: 32 GB
    • Expandable memory card type: No
    • Free cloud storage: 7 GB

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this is true. well that crosses this phone off my want list. I really have no idea why this has not been added to this phone. very disappointing. Looks like I will be sticking with my 820 with my Micro SD card 64GB for a while longer.

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I was just looking at the specs on this phone & it looks like it does not have the use to add extra memory via micro cards etc. is this true?

Expandable memory card type: No

• Memory
    • User data storage: In device, OneDrive cloud storage
    • RAM: 2 GB
    • Mass memory: 32 GB
    • Expandable memory card type: No
    • Free cloud storage: 7 GB

Yes unfortunately that is true.

Dennis LOH

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Huh, I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the 930. I'm now using my 1020. Is there a big difference between the 1020 & the 930? IMHO, I don't think so at least not to the extend of wanting me to change to a 930. It my have a faster processor, more ppi screen display & a slightly larger 5" screen. Battery capacity is only 40% more than the 1020 which is the 1020's weakness. In short the 930 is not a game changer as it has no new hardware just a rebadged ICON model for international market. Microsoft was busy finalising the acquisition of Nokia recently & has no time to launch flagship phone. The next flagship will be known as Microsoft Mobile & the 930 will be the last Nokia Window phone. So is a good idea to wait & see what Sony has in their sleeve for their rumoured Window devices. Btw, I had a 1520 for slightly less than a month. Good phone but way to BIG for me. Is a phablet & not a mobile phone. Nowadays smart phones are slowly but surely creeping towards phablet size.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
If it was yellow I would consider it. If it was red, my brother would get it. We both have purity pros to match our phones. Just don't understand why they have switched the colour palette...except for black and white. They better make another yellow or red phone at some point. Otherwise...I might just keep my 1020 forever!!!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If it was yellow I would consider it. If it was red, my brother would get it. We both have purity pros to match our phones. Just don't understand why they have switched the colour palette...except for black and white. They better make another yellow or red phone at some point. Otherwise...I might just keep my 1020 forever!!!

Because Nokia conducted some research and came to the conclusion that Orange and Green were the colours most people desired for this year.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of the 930. I'm now using my 1020. Is there a big difference between the 1020 & the 930? IMHO, I don't think so at least not to the extend of wanting me to change to a 930. It my have a faster processor, more ppi screen display & a slightly larger 5" screen. Battery capacity is only 40% more than the 1020 which is the 1020's weakness. In short the 930 is not a game changer as it has no new hardware just a rebadged ICON model for international market. Microsoft was busy finalising the acquisition of Nokia recently & has no time to launch flagship phone. The next flagship will be known as Microsoft Mobile & the 930 will be the last Nokia Window phone. So is a good idea to wait & see what Sony has in their sleeve for their rumoured Window devices. Btw, I had a 1520 for slightly less than a month. Good phone but way to BIG for me. Is a phablet & not a mobile phone. Nowadays smart phones are slowly but surely creeping towards phablet size.

The only advantage of the 930 over the 1020, to me, is the built-in Qi charging. Which is also the advantage the 920 has over the 1020 (and the design. I hate the camera hump in the 1020 which is why the 920 is still my daily driver, despite having a 1020).

The 930 was rushed. From what I heard from my friends at Nokia pre-acquisition, they had planned changes to the 930 over the Icon (microSD and processor). But they had to rush the presentation of the phone to have the 2014 flagship out before Nokia leave the OEM business. That way Microsoft will have its flagship still with the Nokia brand until 2015 which will allow them to try and consolidate a brand for themselves before releasing the next phone.
Because the 930 IS the last Nokia phone (at least until 2016) and the Nokia-brand is crucial to the sales of WP in markets like Europe. So Microsoft isn't in any hurry to remove it from the phones. They can't keep using it on Lumia devices so they better stretch out the ones they can still release with it.

That said, I'm buying the 930 precisely because it's Nokia's last phone. I already have a 920 so the 930 is a natural upgrade despite having the same limitations. The 1020 will still be my dedicated camera.
The 930 will certainly serve me well until Sony eventually releases a WP device. Which I will buy in a heartbeat if it's a Z2 Compact with WP.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Really??? That sucks! Plus, why not just expand the colour pallet instead of excluding?

Because it costs money. Remember, every single coloured cover requires a machine calibrated to mass produce it. So every single colour costs the OEM money. That's why they axe all the colours that don't sell. That's why Cyan was axed, for example.

Now remember: yellow, green, orange...none of these are "popular" colours by any stretch of the imagination. That's why normally every country has the black and white version but some seldom have any colours. Not only that, the only "hip colours" nowadays are black, silver and gold. Why? Because iPhone. Then you have some very little variations like Samsung's Blue or Sony's Purple. Other wise OEMs are all producing their flagship phones in black, silver and gold nowadays.

So the fact that Nokia was producing colourful phones was in itself a risk. And the fact that Microsoft Mobile is keeping that for the time being, another. But I wouldn't be surprised if future Microsoft Mobile phones went the "normal" way and ditched the colours in favour of the metallic looks of the Surface and of the competition.

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm nearly giving up on all this. It's just turned the end of May and I have to wait another whole month for it to come. I may just cancel my preorder with Amazon.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm nearly giving up on all this. It's just turned the end of May and I have to wait another whole month for it to come. I may just cancel my preorder with Amazon.

As far as I understand this could either take one more month or it could be next week already... That's the problem, there is no information!

niki999

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I am considering to get Nokia 930. However recently I looked at Nokia 1520 and I noticed that it has same or superior specifications compared to Nokia 930. Given in mind that Nokia 1520 is cheaper 10-20% (maybe even more) then suggested price of Nokia 930 I am wondering why someone would pay more for less. Only drawback I see at least for me is that Nokia 1520 is a bit big for me tough even with that in mind something is not right or I am missing something.

Thanks,
N

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel