Lumia 930 water and dust resistent .Does it matter??

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sound useful to me. Since I use the Runtastic app my 1020 has been getting sweattastic on a regular basis and I always worry that the camera module will give out because of this.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't care, I just want it to have at least 32GB of memory and most importantly built-in Qi wireless charging. AT&T don't screw this up!!!

I'm with ya, but since At&t is now part of the PMA consortium, don't hold your breath.

As for Water/dust resistance, I don't think its too much to ask in 2014 to be able to whip out a phone in the rain and not be worried about the damn thing dying because of it!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You know to be honest I don't really notice a difference between phones that are dust resistant and those that are not.. Or maybe it's just a small difference lol

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I love the Nokia lumia 930 but I think that this flagship needs something in order to compete with other flagships so it must pack some of the new features there. Water and dust Resistance is one of the most wanted and loved features , for me I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't has this thing , moreover a fingerprint scanner is missing - that's not a big deal for me, but it is for water and dust Resistance , which would be very beneficial.
How about you ?? Does it really matter to have a flagship that is NOT water and dust resistant or this might make you think again before buying the lumia 930?!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Only dust resistance I care much about is that dust can't get front facing camera, like it can get into the 920's.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about this thread and honestly, how many manufacturers flagship handsets actually do include this feature? Very few that I can recall. Seems like more of a specialized thing than a widespread much desired feature. One of the problems with that kind of thing is that they always seem to have to make some kind of compromises in other aspects of the build to accommodate it.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Dust will wear - tear your device, so if its dust resistant, it will make a difference. If you want to take underwater photograph, then if its water resistant, it will matter. For me it is important to be dust resistant

I owned Z ultra, without dedicated camera button and opening the camera apps, I canNOT take any picture since the touchscreen doesnt work underwater. imo, other than helping the phone out being broken/damaged, this waterproof/dustproof is pretty gimmick. It is nice tho, you can always wash those fingerprints. :D

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I owned Z ultra, without dedicated camera button and opening the camera apps, I canNOT take any picture since the touchscreen doesnt work underwater. imo, other than helping the phone out being broken/damaged, this waterproof/dustproof is pretty gimmick. It is nice tho, you can always wash those fingerprints. :D

oooh so it's just for the fingerprints? Lmao oops

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about this thread and honestly, how many manufacturers flagship handsets actually do include this feature? Very few that I can recall. Seems like more of a specialized thing than a widespread much desired feature. One of the problems with that kind of thing is that they always seem to have to make some kind of compromises in other aspects of the build to accommodate it.

As far as I know only Samsung's S5 is water and dust RESISTANT, and only Sony's Xperia Z flagships are dust resistant and water PROOF.
Nokia ,again, was the first one to come up with this sort of thing over 10 years ago with the 5210. But they only did that one.

Then again, I'm not surprised to see the comeback of water resistant and proof phones. Tons of people now take their smartphone everywhere (you wouldn't take a 5210 to the jacuzzi with you, for example) so it becomes relevant that they bring back these things.
But we all know, this will only catch on once Apple "invents it".

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,
I love the Nokia lumia 930 but I think that this flagship needs something in order to compete with other flagships so it must pack some of the new features there. Water and dust Resistance is one of the most wanted and loved features , for me I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't has this thing , moreover a fingerprint scanner is missing - that's not a big deal for me, but it is for water and dust Resistance , which would be very beneficial.
How about you ?? Does it really matter to have a flagship that is NOT water and dust resistant or this might make you think again before buying the lumia 930?!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Why oh why is everyone quoting the L930 as a "flagship"? It is not. It is a a higher medium end offering. What "flagship" phone other than Nokia do you know that has only 32GB storage? And it does not have the 41MP PureView camera. It does not even have glance screen.

Not a flagship. Upper middle offering. This phone is not comparable to the Samsung S5 or HTC M8 or the upcoming Sony Xperia Z2. It is undoubtedly a higher end phone but not "the" highest end phone, ie, flagship. In an interview with Stephen Elop when asked about the next PureView device to replace the 1020, he said "No announcement" but added, "Watch this space".

The flagship is coming. And when it comes, we shall all rejoice.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why oh why is everyone quoting the L930 as a "flagship"? It is not. It is a a higher medium end offering. What "flagship" phone other than Nokia do you know that has only 32GB storage? And it does not have the 41MP PureView camera. It does not even have glance screen.

Not a flagship. Upper middle offering. This phone is not comparable to the Samsung S5 or HTC M8 or the upcoming Sony Xperia Z2. It is undoubtedly a higher end phone but not "the" highest end phone, ie, flagship. In an interview with Stephen Elop when asked about the next PureView device to replace the 1020, he said "No announcement" but added, "Watch this space".

Flagship refers to the current best offering from a company. It has nothing to do with the competition. In this case Nokias 930 and the 1520 are both the highest end offerings, thus they are the company's flagship devices. When a 1020 successor comes out, that will take the place of flagship. Heck prior to the 1520 and the 930/Icon, the 1020 was the company's flagship. It had to do battle with the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One...and it stood no chance from any point of view aside from the camera. Why was it the flagship? Cuz it was the latest and greatest on offer at the time.

And how is the 930 NOT comparable to the S5 or HTC One M8? Because of lack of SD card slot and the SD800 vs SD801 SoC debate?

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
And how is the 930 NOT comparable to the S5 or HTC One M8? Because of lack of SD card slot and the SD800 vs SD801 SoC debate?

Yes precisely. Plus pricing. Undoubtedly the L930 will be hundreds of dollars cheaper than the flagship HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony premium models. Snapdragon 800 or 801 not a deciding factor for flagship status. But when all other premium phone brands have at least the capability of over 100GB of storage by combination of internal and SD card capacity and a phone comes along with less than half of that plus significantly cheaper than all the other ones, it tells you that it is not a direct rival for those other premium models.

And I am not only comparing price and capacity of the L930 with other brands, but with Nokia's own features. A phone without all the premium features of Nokia's own development surely is not a true flagship. As I said before, without the 41MP camera, glance screen, micro SD support etc. The L930 is not the absolute premium of all features that Nokia currently has. Don't get me wrong, I think overall it's a great phone and 32GB is not shabby by any means. Just not "premium" or "flagship".

Also, you state that the 930 and 1520 are currently the highest end offerings. Seriously? Both have a 20MP PureView camera whilst the 1020, not currently the highest end offering as you claim, has the far superior 41MP camera.

If the 1520 was upgraded to the 41MP camera, then you would have a true flagship. Or if the 930 had the same plus micro SD support and glance screen-ditto.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
This is the aspect of Nokia phones I find confusing. How do you determine which model is the flagship? Because unlike Apple, HTC, Sony, etc, no single Nokia phone has all the best features in one complete package. The 930 is the newest with the best processor and highest PPI. The 1020 of course has the best camera. The 1520 has the largest storage capacity and longest battery life. Which model is "flagship" is merely personal opinion, unlike the other manufacturers.

I would personally say that the 1520 is the flagship as it ticks most boxes. More people I believe would rather have that big battery and high storage capacitor rather than the latest processor or the best camera. And the 20MP shooter would still be ahead of all other manufacturers phone cameras.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the aspect of Nokia phones I find confusing. How do you determine which model is the flagship? Because unlike Apple, HTC, Sony, etc, no single Nokia phone has all the best features in one complete package. The 930 is the newest with the best processor and highest PPI. The 1020 of course has the best camera. The 1520 has the largest storage capacity and longest battery life. Which model is "flagship" is merely personal opinion, unlike the other manufacturers.

I would personally say that the 1520 is the flagship as it ticks most boxes. More people I believe would rather have that big battery and high storage capacitor rather than the latest processor or the best camera. And the 20MP shooter would still be ahead of all other manufacturers phone cameras.

You do have a point, I guess the nature of the word flagship doesn't really allow there to be more than one. I simply refer to all the highest end current models as flagships. So to me the 1520, 1020, 925 (and well, even 920) are still flagships, since they don't exactly compete against each other. One is a phablet, one is a camera phone and one is more so the "normal phone".

Qais Abu-Hasan

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

It's a flagship because Nokia itself said that , they named it not me. And the 41mp is not a flagship feature ,it's a photography phone feature , plus wp8.1 doesn't need that extremely fast processor and it's already not that bad , it's snapdragon 800 which is not that old and quad-core 2.2 ghz is impressive for windowphone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs