Very nice, but too big!

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I love the look of 930 and would really like to upgrade my 920. But... its just too big.
Why no smaller high end phones?
My 920 feels big as it is today and I would love a new high end phone with max 4,5 inch display and smaller chassis than the 920.
Does anyone agree or am I alone?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. I own a L920 and I think it's big enough personally.

Something may come along. Let's face it, the L930 is just the Icon for the international market. There's nothing 'new' about it. So let's wait and see. :)

daymouse

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with you.

I came from an iphone 5 thinking i don't want a bigger screen than this but then i got bored and got into wp8 and ended up deciding on the 920 which I've had for about a month and i think this is the perfect screen size but who knows once the 930 is out i might change my mind again!

For me the fight is currently between changing to the 1020 as i would love a proper xenon flash for nights out etc and the screen size it great. Its also smaller and lighter than the 930 or hold out for the 930 to see what that's like!

decisions decisions

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Well since 930 basically has a 5" screen fitted on to a chasis pretty much the size of 920 it doesn't make much of a difference to me atleast.
We do live in an era were flagships of all companies are 5" at least..
But I believe if u need a smaller phone then it wld probably be a good idea to wait for 830 if it does come.

voludar

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Too big? It's just a little bit bigger than the 920, which is huge for its screen size. I am pretty happy with that, because if it was another 4.5" device I would have had to get the 1520. It's a multimedia centered device. You are going to be taking pictures and videos, watching them, showing them to friends and family. You need a bigger screen for that IMHO.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Too big? It's just a little bit bigger than the 920, which is huge for its screen size. I am pretty happy with that, because if it was another 4.5" device I would have had to get the 1520. It's a multimedia centered device. You are going to be taking pictures and videos, watching them, showing them to friends and family. You need a bigger screen for that IMHO.

Take a look here 1:29, thats quite a bit bigger than the 925 even...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwAVvhmhqvc

Well since 930 basically has a 5" screen fitted on to a chasis pretty much the size of 920 it doesn't make much of a difference to me atleast.
We do live in an era were flagships of all companies are 5" at least..
But I believe if u need a smaller phone then it wld probably be a good idea to wait for 830 if it does come.

Thats my point why are all phones so big? Like I said, 920 feels too big for me, I have had it since release and I want something smaller and have seen more people saying this. I can guarantee there is a market for high end 4-5 inch phones. At least you guys that want bigger screens or accept bigger phones have loads of mid range alternatives to choose from as well if you want huge, but my options for smaller ones are crap lumias.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely on the thicker side, though the ugly, blocky design makes it appear thicker than it is. And no, it's not any bigger than the 920 as some think. It's just the display size that's a bit bigger. But the size of the two phones? Identical. Just go to any Verizon store like I did, and bust out your 920 and compare with the Icon. Exact same size.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Its not identical, IT IS bigger. Take a look...
925 on the right (which is as close to 920 as you can get) and 930 on the left.
P1020917.JPG.jpg
P1020916.JPG.jpg

930 = 137 mm tall, 71 mm wide.
920 = 130 mm tall, 71 mm wide.
Almost 1 cm taller. Thats not something to sneeze at if you are looking for a smaller phone than the 920.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The 920 and 925 do not have identical dimensions, sorry. The 920 is considerably thicker, for one. And even slightly longer. The respective widths of the 920 and 930 are identical (to the eye anyway). I placed the phones right on top of each other. Only difference is the Icon/930 may be slightly longer. When you hear that a phone has a .5" bigger display, you expect it to be wider. The Lumia 930/Icon is no wider than the 920 and almost the same length.

Comparing the 925 with the 930 is not the same as comparing to the 920 to the 930. I did it myself and once again encourage anyone else to do the same if they're worried about the 930 being "too big" compared to their 920. And this is coming from someone that isn't a fan of the 930's design.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Errrrrr... You basicly repeated what I said except you put words in my mouth. I did not say 920 and 925 are identical (I have them both at work, I know), I said they are the two models with closest dimensions. That doesnt matter, just look at the picture see the official specs below the pics.

ANYWAY.... Even if it has the same width... how exactly does this help us that want smaller high end phones? (smaller than 920!!!) Its like you are trying to convince people that we dont really want smaller phones.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's 7mm longer, that's all. It's the same width, plus it's thinner and lighter than the 920. Sound like a pretty decent compromise to me.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's too big, especially with the link that compares the sizes of other phones. That isn't too bad.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Errrrrr... You basicly repeated what I said except you put words in my mouth. I did not say 920 and 925 are identical (I have them both at work, I know), I said they are the two models with closest dimensions. That doesnt matter, just look at the picture see the official specs below the pics.

ANYWAY.... Even if it has the same width... how exactly does this help us that want smaller high end phones? (smaller than 920!!!) Its like you are trying to convince people that we dont really want smaller phones.

I'm sorry you didn't comprehend the point of my post. I have no idea how you think I'm "trying to convince people they don't want smaller phones." What I said is very simple. People mentioned (one in this thread, a few in others) that they didn't want a bigger phone, noting a 5" display vs 4.5" and I pointed out that despite the difference in display size, the two devices are practically the same size and not to be fooled by the display. Many assume that the Icon/930 is slightly wider to accommodate the larger display. Very simple.

To prove it (to you, since others seemed to have understood what I was saying and took my word for it), I stopped over at the Verizon store. For anyone curious, 920 vs Icon/930:

Next to one another
next.jpg

Right on top of each other
top.jpg

On top of each other again
top2.jpg

Sides
sides.jpg

As you may or may not be able to tell, you absolutely do not feel any more bulk in the hand holding an Icon/930 as opposed to a 920. Same width and similar thickness (920 slightly thicker even).

​Photos were taken using a Moto X on display right next to the Icon, if anyone's curious.

Last edited:

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry you didn't comprehend the point of my post. I have no idea how you think I'm "trying to convince people they don't want smaller phones." What I said is very simple. People mentioned (one in this thread, a few in others) that they didn't want a bigger phone, noting a 5" display vs 4.5" and I pointed out that despite the difference in display size, the two devices are practically the same size and not to be fooled by the display. Many assume that the Icon/930 is slightly wider to accommodate the larger display. Very simple.

You are comparing a new 5" phone to a 4,5" phone that will be almost 2 years old by the time 930 ships.
Obviously if they make a high end 4,5" phone today they can make it smaller than 920.
But I wouldnt mind a high end 4" phone either, thats the whole point of this thread, its like Nokia are stuck on a certain size.
It is possible to make smaller phones. If this continues I have to go for an Iphone.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
To prove it (to you, since others seemed to have understood what I was saying and took my word for it), I stopped over at the Verizon store. For anyone curious, 920 vs Icon/930:

As you may or may not be able to tell, you absolutely do not feel any more bulk in the hand holding an Icon/930 as opposed to a 920. Same width and similar thickness (920 slightly thicker even).

Seriously.. What the hell is wrong with you?! Arent you reading my posts? I know how big the phone is, I have printed the size-specs a few posts up.
IF I WANT A SMALLER PHONE THAN 920 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOU SHOW ME A PHONE THE SAME SIZE EVEN IF IT CAN CURE CANCER, ITS STILL NOT SMALLER.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6