04-16-2014 11:47 PM
50 12
tools
    Lumia 930 is a departure from contemporary lumia design and it is kind of good looking. Since it's worldwide version of lumia icon they are going with the same design.
    04-05-2014 04:15 AM
    There is another thing which I consider odd. White Lumia 930 is perfect. However, if you take a look at Green and orange. The colors are great indeed. But don't you think the color of aluminum frame should have match the back colors. For example, with orange lumia 930, they should have used golden color frame, for green Lumia 930, they should have used a lime colored frame. Silver color frame with these 2 bright colors looks odd
    04-05-2014 05:00 AM
    I love the design.

It reminds me of the iPhone 4 which I think is still the best looking one. I'm not a fan of curves and find my Lumia 1020 slippy to hold without a case because of the rounded sides.

Like how it makes more use of the front with the screen filling more space and also I love the back how its flush with the camera unlike the 925.

I'm debating going from 1020 to this, too many times has the sticking out camera pissed me off, the 20mp looks nothing to scoff at either.
    04-05-2014 01:52 PM
    I have the 900(being fixed) in cyan and liked the matte finish, wasn't my first choice, but they didn't have white on hand and black was too boring. I didn't like the chrome piece on the back for camera cause I figured it would get scratches at some point and those look ugly on the phone. Then went to 920 in white since red was always out of stock. I liked the phone overall although I went through 6 of them. It had a good feel to it and I like the curve appeal. Then switched to the 928 do to the area we moved to. It was basically the same phone but more of a squared version, which is meh!. But what could I do and I didn't wanna stray from wp's. I like the functionality of the Icon and the size but to square but I like the matte finish in white although it only came in black and white. I'm sure $$ plays a big deal in getting colors but c'mon give us some variation and you'll have us.
    04-05-2014 02:34 PM
    There is another thing which I consider odd. White Lumia 930 is perfect. However, if you take a look at Green and orange. The colors are great indeed. But don't you think the color of aluminum frame should have match the back colors. For example, with orange lumia 930, they should have used golden color frame, for green Lumia 930, they should have used a lime colored frame. Silver color frame with these 2 bright colors looks odd
    I'm no expert at color coordination, but I think aluminum looks fine. Gold would only look good with an orange or red device, but anything other than actual gold would be cheesy, real gold would drive the price up. The aluminum is the best choice to give it a quality look while not going overboard.
    04-06-2014 10:52 AM
    I'm no expert at color coordination, but I think aluminum looks fine. Gold would only look good with an orange or red device, but anything other than actual gold would be cheesy, real gold would drive the price up. The aluminum is the best choice to give it a quality look while not going overboard.
    I am not talking about the metal. With orange, they could have colored the aluminium frame wih golden color and with green they could have colored the aluminium frame with lime color. White Lumia 930 looks perfect.
    04-06-2014 11:05 PM
    Disappointed at the colorways Nokia chose for the 930. I always see a correlation with these newer Nokia phones and Nike but its clear to me that the design could've been much more daring. If only the polycarbonate back cover was removable.
    nike-free-hyperfeel-run-gym-redbright-crimson-1.jpg
    nike-free-hyperfeel-run-wmns-glacier-ice-1.jpg
    closer-look-nike-free-flyknit-2013-collection-2.jpg
    closer-look-nike-free-flyknit-2013-collection-1.jpg
    04-06-2014 11:36 PM
    The black 930 looks awesome. I'm keeping my 1020 for now. Will wait for 930, definitely.
    04-08-2014 12:40 AM
    I honestly thought the typical nokia polycarbonate pillow-like design didnt really work as well beyond the n9 and the Lumia 800. Something always seemed a bit off with the larger size. With the 900 it was the more flat screen. The 920/1020 also seemed somewhat flat and only the edges were curved. I did want a yellow device though so I was sad the 930 didnt come in yellow. I thought I might like the green but it looks a little weird in someones hands as opposed to pictures. Orange seems to be the best. White/Black too derivative and boring.
    The design itself is nice, but nothing too fancy. its quite iphonish but I think it works. Looks more premium than the typical nokia polycarbonate pillow shape.
    04-08-2014 12:47 AM
    I love the looks also, I like it more then the iPhone 5S that I currently am using :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    04-09-2014 09:00 AM
    Anyone who's held an Icon will know how solid and premium it feels. The 930 being essentially the is a GOOD thing IMO. I have a black Icon - love the stealthy look!
    04-09-2014 09:09 PM
    I've played with both the black and white Icons at Verizon and Microsoft stores several times. If you want the phone to stand out at all, I'd definitely advise against black. Looks like every other android device out there. Even a little iPhone-like. The metal frame, not just the shell on the back, is also black so even that part doesn't stand out.

Then again I think most people who go for the 930's design probably like the look of the common Android device.
    04-10-2014 12:01 AM
    I'm not so sure, I like devices that stand out, but when Nokia introduced colours with the 920, similar phones to it were very uncommon. Most competitors phones were either black or white.

But nowadays, many cheap Android companies are doing colours, even Apple is doing colours and then there are many kinds of cases that give any colour you want to your phone.

What I mean is, today, I'm not so sure if colours are enough of a differentiator to make your phone stand out from the rest. I believe that in the middle of a sea of smartphones that we see everyday, many of them being Android cheap/crappy phones, the best differentiator are not the colours anymore. Having a premium design, that uses premium materials and not just plastic is what makes a phone stand out, therefore, I believe that the aluminium used is the 930 is perfect to bring that premium feel to the phone.
    04-10-2014 03:52 AM
    I'm not so sure, I like devices that stand out, but when Nokia introduced colours with the 920, similar phones to it were very uncommon. Most competitors phones were either black or white.

But nowadays, many cheap Android companies are doing colours, even Apple is doing colours and then there are many kinds of cases that give any colour you want to your phone.

What I mean is, today, I'm not so sure if colours are enough of a differentiator to make your phone stand out from the rest. I believe that in the middle of a sea of smartphones that we see everyday, many of them being Android cheap/crappy phones, the best differentiator are not the colours anymore. Having a premium design, that uses premium materials and not just plastic is what makes a phone stand out, therefore, I believe that the aluminium used is the 930 is perfect to bring that premium feel to the phone.
    I agree, and I think the polycarbonate Nokia uses is as premium as it gets. It feels more sturdy than many phones that utilize aluminum in fact. I think part of what set Lumia apart was its design language in general (not just materials), specifically the rounded edges and squared corners. They've done the opposite with the 930 though (squared edges and rounded corners). Whether or not it looks good is up to personal taste, but it does make the phone look a lot more like others I think.
    04-10-2014 10:50 AM
    For me the reason I don't care for the design is it's basically:

generic-design.jpg

There's just nothing special or unique going on. It's missing the Nokia magic.
    04-10-2014 06:03 PM
    I agree, and I think the polycarbonate Nokia uses is as premium as it gets. It feels more sturdy than many phones that utilize aluminum in fact. I think part of what set Lumia apart was its design language in general (not just materials), specifically the rounded edges and squared corners. They've done the opposite with the 930 though (squared edges and rounded corners). Whether or not it looks good is up to personal taste, but it does make the phone look a lot more like others I think.
    Out of polycarbonate, and Aluminium, which is a stronger material? I know all medium end tennis rackets are made up of Aluminium. People say that Aluminium doesn't have a good tensile strength, but still a tennis racket can take the pressure while hitting the ball. If this tennis racket was made up polycarbonate, would it be able to take that?
    04-11-2014 01:31 AM
    For me the reason I don't care for the design is it's basically:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generic design.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	61918

There's just nothing special or unique going on. It's missing the Nokia magic.
    How about trying...

nokia-lumia-925-310813.jpg

Combined with...

nokia_lumia_928.jpg

Naw, that's too much of a stretch. Let's not give Nokia THAT much credit...
    maverick786us likes this.
    04-11-2014 08:56 AM
    I really like the design. It still stands out to me. Also, I'm hoping that if this is the new Nokia design language that this will also mean that future phones will follow similar specifications. One thing iPhone and Galaxy have over the Lumias is that because the measurements are largely the same throughout, they get a large number of compatible cases. For the sake of getting more than 5 choices for a phone case, i'm happy if the 930, 935, 940 and other phones follow this look. Honestly, it's smarter in the long run. Heck, make a 830 and have it be the same size as the 630!
    maverick786us likes this.
    04-11-2014 10:54 AM
    How about trying...

Name:	nokia-lumia-925-310813.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	61948

Combined with...

Name:	nokia_lumia_928.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	61949
    The only thing the 925 really has in common with the 930 is the materials. The 925 is a sexy device with style and curves. The 930 is a brick in comparison. So basically Nokia took the plastic brick design of the 928 and put a metal band around it and called it the Icon. Then they recycled the same design again with different colored back plates and called it the 930. Disappointment would be an understatement.
    hasasimo likes this.
    04-11-2014 05:18 PM
    The only thing the 925 really has in common with the 930 is the materials. The 925 is a sexy device with style and curves. The 930 is a brick in comparison. So basically Nokia took the plastic brick design of the 928 and put a metal band around it and called it the Icon. Then they recycled the same design again with different colored back plates and called it the 930. Disappointment would be an understatement.
    The 930 does not look enough like the 928 to be considered a "recycled" design. And I've received more compliments on the look of this white Icon in the last month than I have on any other phone in the past.

The Icon and the 930 are gorgeous pieces of technology, and I'm happy to have one.
    poiman likes this.
    04-12-2014 12:13 AM
    I like it!. I had 800 and now 920 and still love the round design, but
    1. If 930 would be round/pebble again I bet all the tech website would point it as boring/ copying the same for the 3rd time
    2. The Best selling flagships which currently still are GS4 and iPhone 5S are blocky on the sides and either silver painted or metal finished, so giving this premium touch to Lumia together with improvements in 8.1 maybe be just what masses wants and sorry guys but Windows Phone needs these masses to stay relevant.
    930 will do great, it's a proper flagship to hold for next 18/24 months and I would recommend you lot to get it as I'll do! ;)
    04-16-2014 02:29 PM
    How about trying...

Name:	nokia-lumia-925-310813.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	61948

Combined with...

Name:	nokia_lumia_928.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	61949

Naw, that's too much of a stretch. Let's not give Nokia THAT much credit...
    This is FAKE. Lumia 930 / ICON never had micro USB on the top. One big reason that I hate Lumia 928 and 925 because of placement of Micro USB
    04-16-2014 11:05 PM
    What wrong it being on top? I got 928 and I think it's right place to put USB port. 99.9% I charge on plate anyway
    04-16-2014 11:19 PM
    This is FAKE. Lumia 930 / ICON never had micro USB on the top. One big reason that I hate Lumia 928 and 925 because of placement of Micro USB
    wait....the 928 has micro USB?? Mind telling where its located? Edit: Oh...youre talking about the charge port -_- I always get Micro SD and USB mixed lol
    04-16-2014 11:21 PM
    What wrong it being on top? I got 928 and I think it's right place to put USB port. 99.9% I charge on plate anyway
    You can't use it as a dock connector. It looks bit odd. If you look at all the high end flagship devices (except sony), It is the standard to place micro USB on botton and 3.5mm lead on top. Everyone cannot afford a 100$ charging plate.

wait....the 928 has micro USB?? Mind telling where its located? Edit: Oh...youre talking about the charge port -_- I always get Micro SD and USB mixed lol
    Micro USB is used for charging as well as data transfer
    04-16-2014 11:47 PM
50 12