Am I the only one disappointed in the 930's design?

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to lie - I was stunned by the Lumia Icon when it showed up on Verizon. Amazing specs, and a tough industrial design, just what I expected after the distinctly different Lumia 925. What I didn't expect was for the Lumia 930 to look like this. The tough industrial design language makes it attractive, but it also makes it...Verizon. I loved the Icon, but I desperately looked forward to the 930, for Nokia to Lumify the Verizon design. Which, needless to say, changing the colours of the back cover does not suffice. The 930 looks good, but not in the distinct 920 way no other phone can ever match. I want my Nokia colours, the stark contrast between the shiny, jet black screen & buttons and the bright, smooth polycarbonate. I feel slightly shortchanged by the design of the 930, don't you?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The L930 and the L630 are really just phones to get out to the masses as quickly as possible.

Some people love the look of the Icon and it was rumoured long ago that the L930 was simply going to be the Icon international model.

I'm hoping that we'll see some new designs coming soon. I'm not interested in the larger phones myself. I like the L920 size and I'm expecting something like that to come along. Preferably with all the options and not missing anything like the L930...

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I love how it looks! Also for those in the US this may not come with that feel of something new, but for those of us outside the US, this is clearly a new fresh design since we didn't receive the ICON first.

I'm hoping that we'll see some new designs coming soon. I'm not interested in the larger phones myself. I like the L920 size and I'm expecting something like that to come along. Preferably with all the options and not missing anything like the L930...

The 930 is practically the same size (and a lot thinner) as the 920.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to lie - I was stunned by the Lumia Icon when it showed up on Verizon. Amazing specs, and a tough industrial design, just what I expected after the distinctly different Lumia 925. What I didn't expect was for the Lumia 930 to look like this. The tough industrial design language makes it attractive, but it also makes it...Verizon. I loved the Icon, but I desperately looked forward to the 930, for Nokia to Lumify the Verizon design. Which, needless to say, changing the colours of the back cover does not suffice. The 930 looks good, but not in the distinct 920 way no other phone can ever match. I want my Nokia colours, the stark contrast between the shiny, jet black screen & buttons and the bright, smooth polycarbonate. I feel slightly shortchanged by the design of the 930, don't you?

I love the design of Lumia 930. After moving from Lumia 900, 920 and after seeing 1520 having the same design, 930 looks bit different. It gives a premium feel. My aim is not to oppose you, its my personal openion

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a very blocky and bland design which isn't surprising as it was basically made for Verizon (ala 928). Perfect for those who don't want a phone that stands out but boring when you compare it to Nokia's 900,920,925 designs. The limited choice of colors doesn't help either.

ANDY23CA

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think the colours should've been brighter, like the 920 colours. We'll just have to wait and see what's in store. Hopefully something new before the the msft-nok deal closes.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You absolutely aren't the only one. Just read through the various threads in the Lumia 930 forum, it's been talked about ad nauseam.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My only hope is that Nokia half-assed the 930 design and just copied Verizon's Icon because it expects to release a new flagship later this year. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but there has to be a superior offering by the holiday season at the latest. Then again Nokia D&S will be owned by Microsoft by then, so hopefully these blocky, Surface-like designs aren't some new trend.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
They really need to get Marko Ahtisaari back at Nokia designing devices. The designs of the 620, 800, 820, 900, and 920 were fantastic and shouldn't just be disguarded in favor of safe generic bricks.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I totally feel the same way! now I'm hoping that the goldfinger will have an updated 920 design! First I had the 800, currently 920, I just love this design so much I can't wait to see a new iteration :D

(the 930 looks really nice too but it's not for me)

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Mixed feelings here.

We've been asking for a while for Nokia to stop having so many carrier specific designs. This effectively does that.

On the other hand I feel like we're getting something that's 6 months old.

I really feel that this should've been out alongside the 1520 as it has absolutely nothing that's not already present in it's bigger brother.

​The 1520 can be purchased for ?363 in the UK whereas this stay at around ?500 until around September.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
They really need to get Marko Ahtisaari back at Nokia designing devices. The designs of the 620, 800, 820, 900, and 920 were fantastic and shouldn't just be disguarded in favor of safe generic bricks.

Couldn't agree more. And don't forget about the 720. I would have loved for the 930 to just be a bigger 720 with updated specs.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I really like the aesthetics of the device. I'd swoop up a green one if it was available for T-mobile. What I don't care for is the lack of SD, but I'd still buy it.

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm extremely underwhelmed. I think the N8/920 design is extremely sexy. It is what originally brought me to WP (I was happy with Android but kept reading about WP because I couldn't take my eyes off the NL900).
I realize they can't keep making the same phone just a little bigger (though if be happy if they did); but this metal band with the colored plastic pasted on the back is not attractive.
I wish they had either gone sleek (all aluminum and glass) or kept it all vibrant colored plastic. I love that I can see the red if my phone from the front

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Since I got a year left on contract its not tempting enought to upgrade. Shame about the look as it could be one of the last Nokia branded phones.
Is there any news of a new Nokia Lumia phone release later this year???

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I love it. The aluminium gives it a sophisticated and premium look that the previews devices didn't have (except for the 925).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786