Am I the only one disappointed in the 930's design?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the design of Lumia 930. After moving from Lumia 900, 920 and after seeing 1520 having the same design, 930 looks bit different. It gives a premium feel. My aim is not to oppose you, its my personal openion
Wow. you like it? You never like anything Mav. This is good.

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Honestly you have to see it in person....since ita pretty much the icon, when I saw it here I thought it was just as ugly as the 928 but its actually really pretty you gotta see it for yourself, go into a Verizon store and check it out......considering you are in the USA

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I do like the design of 925 better.... If they can shrink the bezel and slap the spec on a 925 design I will happily buy one even at $700....

saiprasadh

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 930 is a departure from contemporary lumia design and it is kind of good looking. Since it's worldwide version of lumia icon they are going with the same design.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There is another thing which I consider odd. White Lumia 930 is perfect. However, if you take a look at Green and orange. The colors are great indeed. But don't you think the color of aluminum frame should have match the back colors. For example, with orange lumia 930, they should have used golden color frame, for green Lumia 930, they should have used a lime colored frame. Silver color frame with these 2 bright colors looks odd

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I love the design.

It reminds me of the iPhone 4 which I think is still the best looking one. I'm not a fan of curves and find my Lumia 1020 slippy to hold without a case because of the rounded sides.

Like how it makes more use of the front with the screen filling more space and also I love the back how its flush with the camera unlike the 925.

I'm debating going from 1020 to this, too many times has the sticking out camera pissed me off, the 20mp looks nothing to scoff at either.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the 900(being fixed) in cyan and liked the matte finish, wasn't my first choice, but they didn't have white on hand and black was too boring. I didn't like the chrome piece on the back for camera cause I figured it would get scratches at some point and those look ugly on the phone. Then went to 920 in white since red was always out of stock. I liked the phone overall although I went through 6 of them. It had a good feel to it and I like the curve appeal. Then switched to the 928 do to the area we moved to. It was basically the same phone but more of a squared version, which is meh!. But what could I do and I didn't wanna stray from wp's. I like the functionality of the Icon and the size but to square but I like the matte finish in white although it only came in black and white. I'm sure $$ plays a big deal in getting colors but c'mon give us some variation and you'll have us.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
There is another thing which I consider odd. White Lumia 930 is perfect. However, if you take a look at Green and orange. The colors are great indeed. But don't you think the color of aluminum frame should have match the back colors. For example, with orange lumia 930, they should have used golden color frame, for green Lumia 930, they should have used a lime colored frame. Silver color frame with these 2 bright colors looks odd

I'm no expert at color coordination, but I think aluminum looks fine. Gold would only look good with an orange or red device, but anything other than actual gold would be cheesy, real gold would drive the price up. The aluminum is the best choice to give it a quality look while not going overboard.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm no expert at color coordination, but I think aluminum looks fine. Gold would only look good with an orange or red device, but anything other than actual gold would be cheesy, real gold would drive the price up. The aluminum is the best choice to give it a quality look while not going overboard.

I am not talking about the metal. With orange, they could have colored the aluminium frame wih golden color and with green they could have colored the aluminium frame with lime color. White Lumia 930 looks perfect.

Weavers

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Disappointed at the colorways Nokia chose for the 930. I always see a correlation with these newer Nokia phones and Nike but its clear to me that the design could've been much more daring. If only the polycarbonate back cover was removable.
nike-free-hyperfeel-run-gym-redbright-crimson-1.jpg
nike-free-hyperfeel-run-wmns-glacier-ice-1.jpg
a-closer-look-nike-free-flyknit-2013-collection-2.jpg
a-closer-look-nike-free-flyknit-2013-collection-1.jpg

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly thought the typical nokia polycarbonate pillow-like design didnt really work as well beyond the n9 and the Lumia 800. Something always seemed a bit off with the larger size. With the 900 it was the more flat screen. The 920/1020 also seemed somewhat flat and only the edges were curved. I did want a yellow device though so I was sad the 930 didnt come in yellow. I thought I might like the green but it looks a little weird in someones hands as opposed to pictures. Orange seems to be the best. White/Black too derivative and boring.
The design itself is nice, but nothing too fancy. its quite iphonish but I think it works. Looks more premium than the typical nokia polycarbonate pillow shape.

LCW

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who's held an Icon will know how solid and premium it feels. The 930 being essentially the is a GOOD thing IMO. I have a black Icon - love the stealthy look!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've played with both the black and white Icons at Verizon and Microsoft stores several times. If you want the phone to stand out at all, I'd definitely advise against black. Looks like every other android device out there. Even a little iPhone-like. The metal frame, not just the shell on the back, is also black so even that part doesn't stand out.

Then again I think most people who go for the 930's design probably like the look of the common Android device.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure, I like devices that stand out, but when Nokia introduced colours with the 920, similar phones to it were very uncommon. Most competitors phones were either black or white.

But nowadays, many cheap Android companies are doing colours, even Apple is doing colours and then there are many kinds of cases that give any colour you want to your phone.

What I mean is, today, I'm not so sure if colours are enough of a differentiator to make your phone stand out from the rest. I believe that in the middle of a sea of smartphones that we see everyday, many of them being Android cheap/crappy phones, the best differentiator are not the colours anymore. Having a premium design, that uses premium materials and not just plastic is what makes a phone stand out, therefore, I believe that the aluminium used is the 930 is perfect to bring that premium feel to the phone.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure, I like devices that stand out, but when Nokia introduced colours with the 920, similar phones to it were very uncommon. Most competitors phones were either black or white.

But nowadays, many cheap Android companies are doing colours, even Apple is doing colours and then there are many kinds of cases that give any colour you want to your phone.

What I mean is, today, I'm not so sure if colours are enough of a differentiator to make your phone stand out from the rest. I believe that in the middle of a sea of smartphones that we see everyday, many of them being Android cheap/crappy phones, the best differentiator are not the colours anymore. Having a premium design, that uses premium materials and not just plastic is what makes a phone stand out, therefore, I believe that the aluminium used is the 930 is perfect to bring that premium feel to the phone.

I agree, and I think the polycarbonate Nokia uses is as premium as it gets. It feels more sturdy than many phones that utilize aluminum in fact. I think part of what set Lumia apart was its design language in general (not just materials), specifically the rounded edges and squared corners. They've done the opposite with the 930 though (squared edges and rounded corners). Whether or not it looks good is up to personal taste, but it does make the phone look a lot more like others I think.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
For me the reason I don't care for the design is it's basically:

generic design.jpg

There's just nothing special or unique going on. It's missing the Nokia magic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb