Flagship Device - Functions

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 930 is the new flagship device (phone not phablet) ... So it worries me as to why would it not support microSD card.

This is not a device designed to target a specific price point and hence cutting corners should not a limitation !!!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It's essentially the international version of an already existing model. It likely saves them money to not have to re-tool the factory lines to make them for other regions

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
thats exactly the problem i have with it ... if it was any other phone ... it would make sense ... for the flagship device ... it doesnt ...

you would want this to be the phone that review sites and benchmarking sites use ... create a halo .... so eliminating features and functionalities on the flagship phone doesnt make sense to me !!!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 930 is the new flagship device (phone not phablet) ... So it worries me as to why would it not support microSD card.

This is not a device designed to target a specific price point and hence cutting corners should not a limitation !!!

This is definately not a flagship device or a successor of 920. You can call it a successor of 925. Just like the way ICON is a successor of 928

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Curious what would make this a flagship device for people. If this doesn't count as a flagship what have we been doing calling devices like the 920 a flagship? What exactly would a "proper" flagship be able to do that this phone cant?

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Curious what would make this a flagship device for people. If this doesn't count as a flagship what have we been doing calling devices like the 920 a flagship? What exactly would a "proper" flagship be able to do that this phone cant?

In nutshell, flagship device means, a device with most high end features. Flagship phones are the High-end phone that is loaded with all the latest features .
930 is a great device. But just because the device is great, doesn't mean its a flagship device. The features loaded in 930 are 6 months old as we see in 1520.

Its a 5 inch version of Lumia 1520. A flagship device would have contain a new camera, new processor, maybe an SD Card slot and overall a hardware of highest specs.

920 was a flagship device, because it braught all new features. 925 or 928 which inherited most of the features from 920 but a downgrade over 920 because of 16GB memory was by no means a flagship device.

Mr_Drewskie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit I agree. The omission of a SD card slot is a huge deficit for this device. Many people want to use the phone for the camera but those same people might have a large music library. I barely have any music on my phone and with pictures, video and music I barely have any space left. I'm left to pick and choose what I can keep on my phone. Its disappointing.

A flagship should be at the very least comparable to its rivals in both hardware and software. The software is excellent save for maybe one or two issues however no os is ever perfect and perfection is usually in the eye of the beholder.

The hardware is where we run into problems. The hardware is not comparable to its rivals. It comes close but like everyone else said these specs are 6 months old and with the absence of a SD card slot its coming up short.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
In nutshell, flagship device means, a device with most high end features. Flagship phones are the High-end phone that is loaded with all the latest features .
930 is a great device. But just because the device is great, doesn't mean its a flagship device. The features loaded in 930 are 6 months old as we see in 1520.

Its a 5 inch version of Lumia 1520. A flagship device would have contain a new camera, new processor, maybe an SD Card slot and overall a hardware of highest specs.

920 was a flagship device, because it braught all new features. 925 or 928 which inherited most of the features from 920 but a downgrade over 920 because of 16GB memory was by no means a flagship device.

Sorry, all it seems to me is you want the latest and greatest specs regardless. So in 6 months time when higher spec components are released, are all flagship devices at that point no longer flagships? Rather than looking at raw hardware specs I see the 930 as a true flagship because it offers significant upgrades over previous generation WP devices. Larger screen, higher resolution, faster CPU, more RAM, better camera, better microphones. Will any of that be significantly better just by having the latest hardware? Will the Snapdragon 801 really make that much of a difference? And I see a storage card slot as more of a feature of any phone and not just a flagship, if that was the case we might as well call the 520 a flagship since it has a card slot. And most people tend not to use all the storage on their devices so lacking a storage card slot in no way detracts from a devcies flagship status.

Nokia was able to produce a 41MP camera with tech that was even older and that camera still outclasses anything else out there so why chase after specs alone? And this is how Microsoft has always worked with WP, they certify a certain SOC for use and it remains the standard till they certify the next update so expecting Nokia to be rolling with new silicon when there are hardly any other devices from the already certified hardware is unrealistic. Nokia has shown you can innovate without relying on just bumping up the hardware specs to the next point as your next "innovation" as samsung and htc tend to to. Maybe android would be better suited to those who want to always have the latest and greatest hardware, its been that way since WP was first released and doesnt show any signs of changing.

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
IS it officially a flagship device or did someone just create that rumour cause to me, it is an amazing body of work BUT the SD limitation and stuff like that makes me feel like, is this really aflagship? I would have expected the 41 MP sensor on a flagship tbh :$

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
IS it officially a flagship device or did someone just create that rumour cause to me, it is an amazing body of work BUT the SD limitation and stuff like that makes me feel like, is this really aflagship? I would have expected the 41 MP sensor on a flagship tbh :$
I'm not sure about the 41mp, that's very niche. But I feel that lack of SD excludes this from Flagship status. Just to get my 521 to update, I had to uninstall 8 apps. As the 930 has a larger screen, shoots HD video, Shoots RAW images, will soon have Miracast, the lack of SD support does keep it from being the multimedia/gaming device it could be. That's just my opinion.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
With the greatly expanded functionality of the SD card with the release of 8.1, Microsoft and Nokia should've worked together to announce a phone that utilized these excellent new features in time for Build 2014. Storing apps, videos, music, pictures, etc, automatically on the SD card? Hell yes, I want that! I agree with the dissenters on this matter - Any phone running Windows Phone 8.1 without SD card support is no longer a flagship phone to me. Microsoft just added too much functionality in that area for phone manufacturers, especially Nokia, to disregard it any longer.

KoreyTM

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Overall, in terms of phone announcements, I found Build 2014 to be a disappointment. The supposed "flagship phone", the Lumia 930, is just the international version of Verizon's Lumia Icon. On top of that, the Lumia 930 is lacking SD card support, which is now a big, practically essential, feature in WP 8.1.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Is the Lumia 930 really being billed as "the" flagship device? There is a large difference between "a" flagship device and "the" flagship device. I believe the 930 is being marketed as one of the premium Nokia devices, but not necessarily "the" premium device. Meaning that it has the specs and price of an upper Nokia device-but an upper device amongt others. That does not mean "flagship" in the true sense of the word, such as HTC M8 or Samsung S5 for eg

I honestly believe that it is simply a case of unclear communication. Most people think flagship as the best model, most expensive with all the latest features. Nokia are branding this word "flagship" with not the same meaning. In the case of the 930, they simply mean the latest model upper spec device. They literally mean 2 different things.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

If the 930 were to be an actual "flagship" in the true sense of the word, like as in Apple, Samsung and HTC, then it would have the latest processor, micro SD storage up to 128GB and the same 41MP camera as in the 1020.

And come in yellow......really important.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
If the 930 were to be an actual "flagship" in the true sense of the word, like as in Apple, Samsung and HTC, then it would have the latest processor, micro SD storage up to 128GB and the same 41MP camera as in the 1020.

And come in yellow......really important.

So the quad core pprocessor it has, 20MP pureview camera, dolby digital plus, Miracast, 1080p screen are irrelevant?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss