Nokia lumia 930 glance support petition!

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know that, that's why the petition, they still have a time and I believe they can change the screen tech.

Why do you want to change from a screen that shows black as actual black and has great colors with a screen that's obviously not as good? I don't.

Themba Maseko

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa, and my views represent that of many people, and I mean many people. Nokia is no nokia without the glance screen. It is such an important feature, so informative, so convenient, so unique, so good, and so reliable. Please NOKIA DO NOT RELEASE THE 930 WITHOUT THE GLANCE SCREEN!!!!

patrickg25

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
It's actually a matter of hardware and not firmware/software. If 930 is on AMOLED it's possible. I think Nokia thinks about the performance and not about availability. If they have glance for everyone, people with no AMOLED may experience battery drain or app failure, etc. But if Nokia can figure out something, or an alternative, then they should do it

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It's actually a matter of hardware and not firmware/software. If 930 is on AMOLED it's possible. I think Nokia thinks about the performance and not about availability. If they have glance for everyone, people with no AMOLED may experience battery drain or app failure, etc. But if Nokia can figure out something, or an alternative, then they should do it

Lumia 920 does not have amoled yet support glance.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
well actually they can give us a glance screen or do like the motorola X with active display support.
Motorola - A Google Company
its a amoled screen meaning only the pixels needed lights up so its more of a software thing as to why nokia did not implement some kind of functionality.

on my S4 currently i can get an app to replicate the moto active display so once i understand the code i can try and build and app that does the same on the windows phone but as you say display memory is absent so .... idk how that factors into it. all nokia has to do is give us a notification light. flashing the windows key or using the screen to just blink a notification icon and time on and off dimly would be sufficient. it can be done in software from my view

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
well actually they can give us a glance screen or do like the motorola X with active display support.
Motorola - A Google Company
its a amoled screen meaning only the pixels needed lights up so its more of a software thing as to why nokia did not implement some kind of functionality.

on my S4 currently i can get an app to replicate the moto active display so once i understand the code i can try and build and app that does the same on the windows phone but as you say display memory is absent so .... idk how that factors into it. all nokia has to do is give us a notification light. flashing the windows key or using the screen to just blink a notification icon and time on and off dimly would be sufficient. it can be done in software from my view

There is no app to do what Active Display does correctly, there are apps that are similar, but to actually have the same functionality is not possible. Active Display is when the phone shows notifications with the screen entirely off. Only the pixels needed light up, but the rest of the screen is actually off. I don't know how they implemented it or whether it is patented or something, but something tells me no other manufacturer is able to do this legally.

No simple app can just replicate this functionality, it has to come from the manufacturer themselves.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
There is no app to do what Active Display does correctly, there are apps that are similar, but to actually have the same functionality is not possible. Active Display is when the phone shows notifications with the screen entirely off. Only the pixels needed light up, but the rest of the screen is actually off. I don't know how they implemented it or whether it is patented or something, but something tells me no other manufacturer is able to do this legally.

No simple app can just replicate this functionality, it has to come from the manufacturer themselves.

And that, would require a whole new screen, and one that would bump up the price. Yes, we all miss Glance, and some may wait on their next 9xx series (guessing 935?) for it to be implemented. As it currently stands though, the price of the 930 would probably go up by about $20-100, and some people already have tight pockets (even tighter after buying a Surface Pro 3). So let the 930 be what it is, a fantastic phone, and let Nokia work their magic to make the next 9xx-series phone even better, because nothing's perfect. It isn't the end of the world. ;)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And that, would require a whole new screen, and one that would bump up the price. Yes, we all miss Glance, and some may wait on their next 9xx series (guessing 935?) for it to be implemented. As it currently stands though, the price of the 930 would probably go up by about $20-100, and some people already have tight pockets (even tighter after buying a Surface Pro 3). So let the 930 be what it is, a fantastic phone, and let Nokia work their magic to make the next 9xx-series phone even better, because nothing's perfect. It isn't the end of the world. ;)

You said it perfectly. I don't understand how such a new feature such a Glance screen all of sudden becomes a deal breaker. Wasn't everyone happy before Glance came along?

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
You said it perfectly. I don't understand how such a new feature such a Glance screen all of sudden becomes a deal breaker. Wasn't everyone happy before Glance came along?

its not a deal break but i would like it as on my S4 i have a notification light so i can know if to check my phone. glance is a nice feature but Nokia is innovative and can come up with a software add on if people really miss the functionality. good thing about AMOLED displays is that Nokia can make an app that gives us a low power notification led like function using the screen.

Glance from how i understand it works requires the display to have its own ram maybe a mini processor to work so changing the screen for a feature and increasing cost is not an option people just live with the phone as its awesome i wanna leave my S4 for the 930 but im waiting for bbm to come first im addicted to bbm since my bold 9780 days.

i wonder if Nokia will slim it down and make a 935. but i really want to see what Microsoft does with Nokia devices

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
its not a deal break but i would like it as on my S4 i have a notification light so i can know if to check my phone. glance is a nice feature but Nokia is innovative and can come up with a software add on if people really miss the functionality. good thing about AMOLED displays is that Nokia can make an app that gives us a low power notification led like function using the screen.

Glance from how i understand it works requires the display to have its own ram maybe a mini processor to work so changing the screen for a feature and increasing cost is not an option people just live with the phone as its awesome i wanna leave my S4 for the 930 but im waiting for bbm to come first im addicted to bbm since my bold 9780 days.

i wonder if Nokia will slim it down and make a 935. but i really want to see what Microsoft does with Nokia devices

It's too bad glance is missing in the 930/Icon. I just got the Icon (was using the 928) and it is a pain not having it anymore. Yea, the 928 was great before it...but once you have it, it is hard to go back to not having it.

Wish Nokia could at least offer some sort of option..flashing the windows key seems like a really easy solution. It's not Glance by any stretch of the imagination, but it at least offers some of that functionality (knowing you have a message). I find that the glance feature itself is really used by me as a way to know if I have a message...so a simple light could pretty easily be used instead on the 930/Icon.

It probably won't happen, but it would be nice (and I imagine not that difficult software-wise).

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Yea, the best petition is one with your wallet, they can't change it now, just don't buy one and wait for the next one with glance screen to come.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This is pointless and a waste of time the phone has released and the screens don't support glance.

Just wait for the next devices to be released/announced

SargeT

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, seems like they aren't going to work around this issue. My friend just switched from 925 to 930 as soon as it came here to CIS and that lack of glance became a total surprise to him.
Anyway, what if Nokia/MS doesn't care about glance just because of soon Nike's-like smartwatch release? I believe no one gonna need glance so much of he gets that watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon