09-09-2014 05:55 AM
38 12
tools
    Hello

Guys I've posted a petition to bring the Glance Screen support to 930 regardless of what is the problem there, so if you like me WANT this feature there please sign and let show Nokia our power! IF YOU HOWEVER ARE NOT IN NEED instead of writing here just ignore it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/nok...t-to-lumia-930
    maverick786us likes this.
    04-04-2014 03:51 AM
    Hello

Guys I've posted a petition to bring the Glance Screen support to 930 regardless of what is the problem there, so if you like me WANT this feature there please sign and let show Nokia our power! IF YOU HOWEVER ARE NOT IN NEED instead of writing here just ignore it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/nok...t-to-lumia-930
    I have signed it, but the only way nokia can bring support for Glance screen is by changing the screen used in 930. With current screen, its not possible
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-04-2014 03:55 AM
    I know that, that's why the petition, they still have a time and I believe they can change the screen tech.
    maverick786us likes this.
    04-04-2014 03:56 AM
    I know that, that's why the petition, they still have a time and I believe they can change the screen tech.
    Sorry but this won't happen. They would need tho change the screen and buy more expensive screen tech and as the amoled screens with have the memory capacity are not mass produced (I would guess) it wouldn't be possible to get the device to the market in June.

Maybe Nokia could use their SensorCore feature to enable some kind of glance features.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:12 AM
    No they can't, not this close to release. It's not just a case of slapping in a new screen there is a lot of factors involved from validation, testing and production. You're talking about another display that will pull more power (memory costs power, the more you have the higher the draw). Circuitry may need to be redesigned to support the pin outs of the screen and so on. Designs take years from the initial sketches to release on the market. You also have ramp up production to release which usually takes 3-6 months before release.

So it's not going to happen, the best you could hope for is some kind of software fix which Nokia has acknowledged they are looking into.
    stickyshocker likes this.
    04-04-2014 07:39 AM
    this is a case of Nokia bending its own standards to compromise with Verizon's ****ty price points...THEN taking the same phone and just slapping a GSM chip in it. Same thing happened with the 928 where Verizon wanted them to strip out a 10 cent chip that provides FM radio.

Microsoft needs to get the deal done and stop taking orders from ****ty carriers. Offer unlocked, unbranded devices sold directly to consumers...JUST LIKE APPLE.
    04-04-2014 08:02 AM
    No they can't, not this close to release. It's not just a case of slapping in a new screen there is a lot of factors involved from validation, testing and production. You're talking about another display that will pull more power (memory costs power, the more you have the higher the draw). Circuitry may need to be redesigned to support the pin outs of the screen and so on. Designs take years from the initial sketches to release on the market. You also have ramp up production to release which usually takes 3-6 months before release.

So it's not going to happen, the best you could hope for is some kind of software fix which Nokia has acknowledged they are looking into.
    But everyone on the interwebs are experts at everything and something like this is supposed to just be a quick 10 second swap.
    Because the internets told me so.
    Johan____ likes this.
    04-04-2014 08:09 AM
    Fuq glance I just want Qi wireless charging built in and @ least 32 gb or storage, just like the L920. They already explained why they couldn't support glance on the 930 handset, because of the type of screen chosen.
    04-04-2014 10:24 PM
    this is a case of Nokia bending its own standards to compromise with Verizon's ****ty price points...THEN taking the same phone and just slapping a GSM chip in it. Same thing happened with the 928 where Verizon wanted them to strip out a 10 cent chip that provides FM radio.

Microsoft needs to get the deal done and stop taking orders from ****ty carriers. Offer unlocked, unbranded devices sold directly to consumers...JUST LIKE APPLE.
    True as this may be, unfortunately without carriers MS and Nokia have no business. So they carry quite a bit of weight when it comes to what is and isn't in handsets and Microsoft frankly just doesn't have the mobile market share at the moment to press them to compromise. Hopefully that will some day change. :/
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-04-2014 10:31 PM
    No glance, but double tap to wake is on 8.1
    04-06-2014 08:59 AM
    No glance, but double tap to wake is on 8.1
    Only with WP8 handsets with IPS LCD (Lumia 920,925,1020,1520...) The lumia Icon & 930 lacks display memory therefore, it cannot handle the glance support. The Nokia Lumia 930 does not have Glance, here’s why | Windows Phone Central
    04-06-2014 11:14 AM
    No, there will be double tap to wake
    poiman and xandros9 like this.
    04-06-2014 01:30 PM
    If anything I'd think that Nokia should add a Windows logo button glowing notification for its Icon/930 that lacks Glance. If I remember correctly a past version of Glance even showed "Windows button" in its description. Then that wording disappeared. It was a long time before even Icon was a thing.

Hope they're working to work with the glowing button for handset that can't properly the full Display glance.

I'm not interested in a 930, but should someone liked this idea I'd suggest you put your uservoice as well, or put some hints to Nokia.

:)
    anon5997296 likes this.
    04-07-2014 05:07 AM
    this petition is stupid as hell.
    they can't just change the screen. they already made deals with suppliers to produce these phones. better luck making a petition for the 940.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    A895 and xandros9 like this.
    04-07-2014 03:11 PM
    Ah, you guys are going about it all wrong. Forget a petition, what about a good old fashioned threat. Tell Mr Elop if we don't get a glance screen, and micro SD card support, we'll send operatives over to his house and graffiti, "Apple Rules" on his walls.

That'll learn him.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-07-2014 04:22 PM
    Although I don't think they will ever change the panel on the Icon/930, I'll be happy to support but you should change the petition, you should make one that says something like "Please NokiaSoft, include Glance on all your future Lumias since it is an innovative and unique way to display information and a feature that distinguishes the Lumia phones from every other phone". I would sign and support that, I run a lumia fanpage on facebook with around 600 followers who love their lumias and would love to support that as well.
    04-27-2014 12:05 AM
    I don't think it will happen.,
    I wanted to ask What are the All differences between Icon n 930 except one being international and other exclusive for Verizon but still unlocked
    04-27-2014 12:11 AM
    Waste of time.

At least double tap will be there.
    04-28-2014 01:38 PM
    I have signed it, but the only way nokia can bring support for Glance screen is by changing the screen used in 930. With current screen, its not possible
    I know this has often been mooted, but can I add to your statement....
    "With current screen, its not possible with the existing glance solution, however there may be an opportunity for future software based developments using alternative mechanisms."
    04-28-2014 03:19 PM
    I WILL NOT BY A LUMIA WITHOUT GLANCE.

Even Elop should understand such a simple sentence.
    05-03-2014 05:03 PM
    Why do you want to change from a screen that shows black as actual black and has great colors with a screen that's obviously not as good? I don't.
    05-09-2014 06:59 AM
    I think they will find away, like they were able to get the glance screen on the L920.
    05-18-2014 05:53 PM
    I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa, and my views represent that of many people, and I mean many people. Nokia is no nokia without the glance screen. It is such an important feature, so informative, so convenient, so unique, so good, and so reliable. Please NOKIA DO NOT RELEASE THE 930 WITHOUT THE GLANCE SCREEN!!!!
    05-19-2014 07:57 AM
    It's actually a matter of hardware and not firmware/software. If 930 is on AMOLED it's possible. I think Nokia thinks about the performance and not about availability. If they have glance for everyone, people with no AMOLED may experience battery drain or app failure, etc. But if Nokia can figure out something, or an alternative, then they should do it
    05-19-2014 08:03 AM
    It's actually a matter of hardware and not firmware/software. If 930 is on AMOLED it's possible. I think Nokia thinks about the performance and not about availability. If they have glance for everyone, people with no AMOLED may experience battery drain or app failure, etc. But if Nokia can figure out something, or an alternative, then they should do it
    Lumia 920 does not have amoled yet support glance.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Last edited by prasath1234; 05-19-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    05-19-2014 08:05 AM
38 12