Tempted to trade my 920 for the 930.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Being the Queen of Early Adopters and unable to resist new tech toys, I am really tempted to get the 930 and ditch my 920. It has some intermittent problem with the microphone ( I can hear them, they can't hear me!) but that means another contract running until my present one ends. Looking at the specs though I have some doubts and wonder if I should wait for the 'next big thing' from Nokia. Anyone want to nudge me one way or another?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Having two contracts is the big thing really, that's the decision to mull over. The upgrade from a 920-930 is a massive leap in power. Its a massive leap in an already brilliant camera, and a quantum leap in screen.

The 930 is the flagship for at least the next 12-18 months, and while its possible a 1030 could show up, its not a done deal, and for sure would be very bulky. The 1520 is still fresh outa the package and again, while it could see an upgrade, its not gonna happen this side of 2015.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go for it! Just wanted to check that it was worth while. I wonder when we can pre-order in the UK?:wink:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had my heart set on upgrading my 920 as well. But I was disappointed and underwhelmed by the 930. There are some hardware upgrades, to be certain, but it's a regression (IMO) in some important respects to me, such as the design and Glance.

Whether or not you upgrade will definitely be up to personal taste, as this is by no means the no-brainer upgrading from the 900 to the 920 was. I'm definitely not convinced that this is the flagship for the next "12-18 months." I think 12 months is even pushing it. I really expect to see Goldfinger by early next year at the latest, if not this year's holiday season. I, personally, am waiting. In fact, I think the 1520 is more of an upgrade than the 930.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is a little big for my needs though. I know I need to change my phone given the microphone issue and have held out for a while. I love the Windows Phone OS as I have a Windows 8 pc and a Surface 2, so not tempted by any other OS.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is a little big for my needs though. I know I need to change my phone given the microphone issue and have held out for a while. I love the Windows Phone OS as I have a Windows 8 pc and a Surface 2, so not tempted by any other OS.

My best advice (especially if you consider yourself an early adopter) is to check and see if there are any problems with you upgrading early for another contract extension with your carrier. If that's the case and you don't mind paying a bit for another phone in less than a year, go for it. I just can't see the holiday season coming and going without a new and attractive Windows Phone offering that may have you thinking "I shoulda waited."

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure that is an option here in the UK. Will have a chat with my carrier EE and see what the options are. Thanks for the reply.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure that is an option here in the UK. Will have a chat with my carrier EE and see what the options are. Thanks for the reply.

Technically it's not an option with most carriers here too, but they often make exceptions if you speak with them about it. Good luck!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I would totally go for it! It's a great update in terms of speed, screen, camera and, in my opinion, design, as there is a great premium feel and look to it and it's also thinner than the 920!

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Went into EE today. Not due for an upgrade until November this year. So my choices are ?200 to buy out the rest of my contract, buy the 930 outright (how much will that be?) or take out another contract.....or of course wait until November (I am not good at waiting! lol).

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Went into EE today. Not due for an upgrade until November this year. So my choices are ?200 to buy out the rest of my contract, buy the 930 outright (how much will that be?) or take out another contract.....or of course wait until November (I am not good at waiting! lol).

The 930 will be $599 when it comes out, and I'd wait. A lot more could be out in that 6-month time frame, I'm actually wondering when a 1030 could be coming, as a 1080p 5-6 inch screen would make that camera's quality scream how awesome it is. So wait, see what comes, the 930 is just the start.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go for it! Just wanted to check that it was worth while. I wonder when we can pre-order in the UK?:wink:

Keep in mind that 8.1 release to the public is not going to happen for a few months. This WILL bring new models, how many or to what carrier, no one knows....Maybe wait a few months ?

davesannie

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind that 8.1 release to the public is not going to happen for a few months. This WILL bring new models, how many or to what carrier, no one knows....Maybe wait a few months ?

Yes but isn't that always the problem? When you buy a phone then a couple of months later there will be a new one with some minor changes. I know for my self that when it comes out here in Europe I will definitely will buy the 930 !

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of doing this too..
My 920 still gets the dust problem so the screen doesn't show up all the time on calls and can be troublesome.
I also have some speaker issues as mentioned.
I cannot get Storyteller to show my pictures - I don't want to hard reset and have waited this long so a couple of months wait for 930 will do.

Just need websites to start listing price and dates now.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same shoes, I had 800 (first flagship Lumia) now 920 (still love it, never had any issues as others did, no dust, great battery life, no screen flicker issues, very rare random reboots and I even changed the body from white to yellow myself, all prefect and now it rocks WP 8.1 with no other issue than some little bugs but in apps department.
My thinking is that 930 is a defo for 920 users and it should serve them as well as 920 still does. 1030 is more obvious for 1020 users. Guys think clearly there isn't anything special coming other than 1030 and 1530 also I think that Nokia may release less devices this year because 820 and 720 weren't selling very well, so my guess is that there will be 530, 630/35, 930, 1030, 1530, maybe 1330 but doubt it and there shouldn't be any 935 since 930 already has aluminium frame.
Out of these only 530, 930 and 1030 will matter as it was the case this generation so the choice is this : 530- price, 930-true flagship with balanced specs, 1030-improved best camera phone alas still bulky. I am obviously going for 930 (even tough no Glance Screen Support but the new customizable Lock Screens will do!)

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same shoes, I had 800 (first flagship Lumia) now 920 (still love it, never had any issues as others did, no dust, great battery life, no screen flicker issues, very rare random reboots and I even changed the body from white to yellow myself, all prefect and now it rocks WP 8.1 with no other issue than some little bugs but in apps department.
My thinking is that 930 is a defo for 920 users and it should serve them as well as 920 still does. 1030 is more obvious for 1020 users. Guys think clearly there isn't anything special coming other than 1030 and 1530 also I think that Nokia may release less devices this year because 820 and 720 weren't selling very well, so my guess is that there will be 530, 630/35, 930, 1030, 1530, maybe 1330 but doubt it and there shouldn't be any 935 since 930 already has aluminium frame.
Out of these only 530, 930 and 1030 will matter as it was the case this generation so the choice is this : 530- price, 930-true flagship with balanced specs, 1030-improved best camera phone alas still bulky. I am obviously going for 930 (even tough no Glance Screen Support but the new customizable Lock Screens will do!)

I think some of what you're saying is true, especially there being no guarantee for a 720 or 820 successor (maybe just one combined successor). But the 930 is hardly the "true flagship" when it lacks two major features that the 1520 has.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The 930 is great and I will most definitly upgrade from my 920 s soon as it drops to under 500 ?, but ...

... to me it's not reach really a flagship. Maybe the icon was, but NOW the Snapdragon 800 is around 6 months old. Together with the missing sd card slot, the just pentile matrix screen and no glance screen it is surely the "best" wp8.1 phone (as being under or equal to 5 inches) we can get but its no top notch super latest greatest.

That's why I am not willing to pay more than 500 ? in June.

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am tempted to buy 930. Although I am making up my mind, on how am I going to live without glance screen. Still I will read the review and I hope the music quality and speakers are as good as Lumia 1520, no CRAPPY like ICON.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The 930 is great and I will most definitly upgrade from my 920 s soon as it drops to under 500 €, but ...

... to me it's not reach really a flagship. Maybe the icon was, but NOW the Snapdragon 800 is around 6 months old. Together with the missing sd card slot, the just pentile matrix screen and no glance screen it is the "best" wp8.1 phone (as being under are equal to 5 inches) we can get.

That's why I am not willing to pay more than 500 € in June.

Well the true flagship is the 1520 cuz it ticks all the right boxes (except size). The Icon/930 is a flagship for the right size but does sacrifice in the SD (which was NEVER a flagship 'requirement', but could have used one. At least 32gb is fairly generous) and glance (I suppose you have to use it in order to appreciate it. If you never had it, you never lost anything)

If the snapdragon 800 is 6 months old, so is the 801 that's in the S5/One M8/Xperia Z2. The 801 is the same as the 800 but can be clocked higher (and usually is). Otherwise same CPU and same GPU. In the One M8 they clocked the 801 CPU at 2.2ghz, same as the 800.
The 805 is the new breed (which gets supplanted by the 808 and 810 next year....) with the newer CPU and GPU. But that's not out yet and nothing uses it yet.

Ive never understood the pentile matrix hate thing. Ive seen AMOLED screens and they're far superior to the screen on my phone (its an older LCD type, Lumia 710...was still a megaton better than the screen on my broken optimus 7 I started off with lol). I suppose I have to use an OLED screen for longer to notice.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The 801 featurea a new image Sensor post processor for larger cameras and would probably have increased the focus and picture-taking time in the 20 and 40 MP pure view cameras a lot!

I agree that pentile matrizes are less painfull with higher resolution but I still perceive them inferiour.

But hey ... as I said: As soon as the 930 is available for a reasonable price I am in for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven