930 Possibly Coming to Canada

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I was in the Microsoft store today in Yorkdale mall and noticed they reduced the bring of the Lumia 1020 from $600 to $500 off contract. Also, Telus removed the 1020 from their website. Possibly clearing inventory for the 930? Fingers crossed.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm am no longer optimistic about support from the carriers or for Canada in general. We did not get the 925 (Nokia even refused to sell me one directly when I contacted Mr. Elop's email address, begging to shut up and give them my money because I couldn't get one through the carriers), we did not get the 1520 either. :( The 1020 was late to the party in Canada many months after the unveiling, and did not receive any marketing support. At least Telus offered it. Rogers' exclusivity of the 920 ensured that WP8 would not see a successful adoption rate by Canadian consumers.

Windows Phone is non-existent in Canada. The only hope is for the Yorkdale Microsoft Store to start selling unlocked devices once the acquisition of Nokia D&S is completed.

I still have a slight glimmer of hope for the MS store to start selling unlocked... it's our only hope. I don't want to give profits to 3rd party ebay resellers. I should be able to purchase directly from Nokia / Microsoft.

:unhappysweat:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If the carriers wont support WP, lets hope MS makes the devices easily available to purchase (this includes their Windows sections in Bestbuys). We keep getting told that 930 is NOT coming, indefinitely...thats unfortunate.

kindsword

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
If the Rogers doesn't have 930 in 3 months, I am going to get an international version aboard and use it here, my 920 was purchased this way, much cheaper.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are the lte bands on the 930 compatible with Rogers bands?
Most of NA uses band 4, which the 930 doesn't have.
However it DOES have band 7 so you might be able to latch onto the 2600mhz band but I don't know how widespread that one is.

The only other option at this point is to somehow get an unlocked Lumia Icon which is almost the exact same thing, except no fancy colors and a big ugly Verizon logo pasted on the front.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If the carriers wont support WP, lets hope MS makes the devices easily available to purchase (this includes their Windows sections in Bestbuys). We keep getting told that 930 is NOT coming, indefinitely...thats unfortunate.

Keep hearing from what sources? Although Canada is not among the first regions to get the device, I don't think Nokia ever explicitly said Canada won't get it (unlike what they said about the US). I'm still hoping we would be part of the "rest of the world" release.

On the other hand, and this is just pure speculation, maybe there'll be a variant of the 930 (i.e. a 93x) for the US and we might get that instead.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with how the carriers have treated Windows Phone up here. I bought a 520 as my first phone last year, and it's been great, but I now want to upgrade. To my surprise, however, none of the carriers are carrying anything other than the 520 and 625 right now. The fact that they'd drop the 1020 at this time isn't a good sign, in my opinion. It's still a sellable phone even with the newer models coming out, so that leads me to believe that they're just giving up.

I think this whole system needs to be torn down and rebuilt. I should EASILY be able to buy whatever phone I want from whatever entity I choose and, again, EASILY fire it up on any provider I choose. The wireless industry is a freakin' mess and has been for years.

EDIT: editing just to say that I bet we won't see the 930. If we do, it will be quite sometime after the fact. I'd bet everything I own on that...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Keep hearing from what sources? Although Canada is not among the first regions to get the device, I don't think Nokia ever explicitly said Canada won't get it (unlike what they said about the US). I'm still hoping we would be part of the "rest of the world" release.

On the other hand, and this is just pure speculation, maybe there'll be a variant of the 930 (i.e. a 93x) for the US and we might get that instead.

Rogers Wireless Community Forums rep stresses its not coming, thats the only source ive seen.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
(Rogers L920) I'm also leaning toward international version, depending on the post launch battery reviews...I have my doubts, but maybe that battery will be just enough - otherwise I may go with an international 1520

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Canadian carriers seem to like low-risk phones, and as far as Windows Phone goes, they prefer low-end devices. I'm guessing the Lumia 520 and 620/625 have done reasonably well for the carriers who offer those phones, but high-end devices such as the 1020 are a much tougher sell.

Microsoft still doesn't have a genuine mid-end contender comparable to the Moto G. I honestly believe that a $300/350 (and $99/149 on-contract) device with the specs of the Moto G with PureView and LTE has the chops to do well with North American carriers, but let's wait and see. However, Lumia 730, 830 and 1320 could make amazing $300 to $400 mid-end devices and offered as differentiated experiences to different carriers.

Nonetheless, high-end devices such as the 10xx, 9xx and 15xx should be sold to Canadians directly, off-contract and unlocked (alongside LTE tablets). Low-end and mid-range phones can go to the carriers.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

lol I pretty much couldn't find any Windows Phone on display in Best Buy, Walmart, and Costco where I live (Texas, US)

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
WP representation in Canada is a complete joke. I've been saying this for years. BB still dominates along with iPhones and GS phones. People still ask me from time to time what the heck kind of phone I have. I say "Windows" to keep it short and they look at me puzzled as if thinking "Windows makes phones?!". My colleagues all razz me cause I'm the only one in an office of 600 people with a Windows Phone. Even the CEO razzes me occasion because he knows my passion for WP.

I've personally sold 8 WP devices to family and friends and so far they've all loved their phone. Carriers don't promote them. Nokia doesn't care. Microsoft clearly doesn't care. If you want a 930 or a 1520 don't depend on Rogers or the others. But an unlocked one like I did.

We'll be lucky to see the 930 come. If it does it will show up 3-4 months after the US gets it. Rogers passed up on the 1520 because it was "too big". What a joke.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
well if Nokia and microsoft doesn't care for Canadian then I will get rid of my 625 and start something that Nokia and Microsoft are STUPID

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
lol I pretty much couldn't find any Windows Phone on display in Best Buy, Walmart, and Costco where I live (Texas, US)

I can guarantee you it's equally bad here, my comment was hopeful more than anything lol.

As for the buying unlocked, my concern with that is what happens if there's a problem with the phone? Will Nokia cover a broken device, or will the seller be liable? Who do you guys use for unlocked buying in canada?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has great manufacturers warranty. An old Lumia 900 that bricked after a yr or more Rogers wanted to charge me for a repair. I called Nokia directly and they RMA'd it and had it returned in 3 business in perfect condition.I forget where I bought my 1520 but it was some online store out of Calgary. No international shipping or customs charges and it was unlocked and reasonably priced. Only thing is it doesn't have all the bands for Rogers (LTE works fine) so in some buildings or undergrounds data speeds drop a bit.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has great manufacturers warranty. An old Lumia 900 that bricked after a yr or more Rogers wanted to charge me for a repair. I called Nokia directly and they RMA'd it and had it returned in 3 business in perfect condition.I forget where I bought my 1520 but it was some online store out of Calgary. No international shipping or customs charges and it was unlocked and reasonably priced. Only thing is it doesn't have all the bands for Rogers (LTE works fine) so in some buildings or undergrounds data speeds drop a bit.

Ok thanks for the feedback, if you found the retailer you plan to buy it from post it here. There's a gsmcanada site but not sure how liable theyre

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99