Lumia 930 availability

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
At the moment the 1020 already seems little bit better if you dont want that phone for gaming and if you like to shoot photos.
With the Cyan-update the 1020 should get even more better than the 930 i think :D

edit: here are new camera-pics (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/54e5tz41jlzqlt8/AADs1c5M0IAji5JIFu1FLM_fa)
I think sometimes the 930 has better colors, but overall the 1020 is still the winner.
I also must try more often with the 930 to get the right focus-point or because the photos are not really sharp

I like the colour more of the lumia 930, looks more like what you would expect. But I'd also expect the details on the 1020 images to be clearer but that's down to the larger camera sensor!

I think I'll be happy with the 930, looks better than my iPhone 5s but I'll test that shortly.

I decided to get the lumia 930 in the end cause I had waited so long and it's a device I actually want rather than following the apple trend!

Pyroplan

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I like the colour more of the lumia 930, looks more like what you would expect. But I'd also expect the details on the 1020 images to be clearer but that's down to the larger camera sensor!

I compare them now also on a big screen and i must say most photos looks better with the 930.

Pyroplan

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I also have to say that I preferred the images taken with 930

The funny thing is: If I compare them on the phones and zoom in to have better view for comparison, mostly the 1020 will win and looks sharper. On the PC its the opposite oO

edit: the battery life seems to be really good.

Last edited:

P_Yiddy

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
How strange... I can see an option to pick a tariff?

Very odd. I was using Chrome to look at the page and it says Coming Soon. When I go to the same link in Internet Explorer it says Pick a Tariff.

However, if you click on Pick a Tariff it just flashes up 'This phone is coming soon' and then takes you back to the main page.

Still don't think any O2 stores have it in stock yet unfortunately :(

P_Yiddy

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
He believes that the guy must have mistaken the 930 for the 630 some how.

As mentioned previously I work for O2. Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me one bit that chat advisor gave you the wrong information. Happens far too often in my experience :(

Sorry you had you hopes raised for no reason. Should be out very soon though.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
How good are the low light images? 1520 doesn't produce good low light images, the video is crappy. 930 with Nokia Cyan and 6 lens, does it produce low light as good as 920?

The 930 has the same camera as the 1520 - so no change there. The low light performance is decidedly worse than the iPhone 5S's (same amount of noise, but the 930 has lots of color noise, which is hard to correct).

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure as the cyan update is meant to improve the camera in low light etc.

Can someone provide a comparison between 1520 and 930 at all? Obviously the 1520 should still be ok the last update not cyan ;)

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure as the cyan update is meant to improve the camera in low light etc.

Can someone provide a comparison between 1520 and 930 at all? Obviously the 1520 should still be ok the last update not cyan ;)

The bad low-light performance is predominantly caused by the sensor. That won't change with cyan. They might have tweaked the NR algorithm, which might improve things slightly in terms of color noise, but probably at the expense of image detail.

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
The plans in the uk are so much cheaper than ire, they want 55euro/month with only 3gig of4g and charge 150for most new handsets on 2year contracts

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I think I've made myself a bit misunderstood, considering your response.
There's arguably nothing revolutionary or ground-breaking about the current batch of spring flagships either. And if you're asking my opinion, I think they're all pretty uninspiring. My main point was that the autumn flagships that have been rumoured seem to be in a completely different league, especially the Nokia/MM McLaren. That's why I mentioned that nothing about the Lumia 930 was ground-breaking [unlike what's currently rumoured about the McLaren].

I would however like to bring up the point that although the newest iterations of the flagships on the market aren't revolutionary, they do bring solid advancements to the technology they come with. The S5 has an ISOCELL camera which is very impressive, a larger and critically acclaimed screen as well as a decent IP-certification. The Z2 comes with... actually I'm not sure, but it does have a faster processor among other things. The HTC One has a new camera sensor, a secondary depth-sensing camera, improved speakers and an improved display (and as with all the others, a new SoC).

The Lumia 930 came with absolutely nothing new, even though there was an 8 month gap from the initial planned release of the Lumia 929/Icon and the planned release of the Lumia 930. It has worse specifications than the Lumia 1520, which has microSD-support and a screen that allows Glance. The Lumia 930 does come at a cheaper price than the other spring flagships, so I have no intention of ranting on about it, but it does make it just that tiny step more uninspiring than the other spring flagships.

So to summarise if you don't want Android or iOS:
If you want revolutionary and awe-inspiring, wait 3-4 months.
If you merely want a solid performer, like the design and don't need Glance, the Lumia 930 is without a doubt very good.

I was getting 1520 when it launched, until I saw the Lumia Icon; the smaller screen swayed me, so I was excited once I saw the 930. Now, I can get the 1520 for around ?420 sim-free.

After reading your post, I'm getting the 1520. Thanks for posting, it helped my decision.

Omnomnom

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Gosh, why it's so cheap in other countries? I ordered mine on technikdirekt.de and it costs 549,00€ which is actually cheaper than the price that other shops demand. And I don't get anything extra for free. So hearing that it is 499,00€ in the Netherlands AND you get a free wireless charging plate x.x I could order it there… but then it will take another few weeks until I get mine… hope I'm going to have luck this week

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I was going to wait for the official UK release, however Nokia's UK releases in the past have not gone smoothly and I can see the Sim Free price being around the ?480 to ?500 price range.

I have just ordered my 930 from Amazon.fr which is in stock and delivery scheduled for 10th July.

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Got mine on Friday (yes, orange!), ordered it on Thursday at Amazon.de Marketplace ("DastroMedia") - gosh, that was fast! It was told to be delivered between Saturday and the end of this week - so lucky me... :)

Now after 2 days of excessive testing, I have to say that I am very impressed und very happy with the Lumia 930:
* fantastic display
* great camera
* amazing manufacture quality

Honestly this is my first WP device, so I really can't compare to the previous version of WP. Had iPhones the last 6 years (and an iPad for 3 years), so that was my focus the last 2 days, how I personally felt about the switch from iOS (8 Beta 2) to WP 8.1. All in all I found nearly every app I need and I was looking for. Sure this depends on you what you do and need... All in all I love WP 8.1, sure it is not better or worse than iOS (can't compare to Android, never had one, just some minor impressions from friends who have an Android phone...), but it's different in philosophy and handling, didn't expect how different it is, but it perfectly matches my philosophy, needs and expectations.

My personal goal was to come back to a uniform environment of laptop, tablet and smartphone... I never had something else than a Windows laptop (unfortunately have to work with a MacBook Pro in the office... sorry, don't like it...), never used something else than MS Office, moved my cloud services from Google to Outlook.com and Office 365, so it was some kind of compromise to use Apple mobile products in the last couple of years. With Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 a switch to a Windows Tablet (Dell Venue 11 Pro since last autumn) and Smartphone was never that easy and smart... :)

So feel free if you have questions about the Lumia 930, especially if you currently have an iPhone and think about to switch to WP... :)

Last edited:

alan61

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
A question for the people that have ordered from Amazon fr. When my order was dispatched I got an email with a City Link tracking number which doesn't work, did your's?

sandeepsb

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
A question for the people that have ordered from Amazon fr. When my order was dispatched I got an email with a City Link tracking number which doesn't work, did your's?

You'll have to wait til it reaches the UK, usually after a day or so and then you'll be able to use the city link tracking code.

I just remembered the tour de France is on today. I probably won't receive my phone as scheduled today since Westminster's closed off :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99