Nokia Lumia 930: User Reviews

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I will give my orange Lumia 930 back. The reason for that are:

-Display issues. from purple tint, low response time -> motion blur and uneven colours especially with white
-wakeup is much slower than on Lumia 920. Would say almost twice the time
-camera is good, but only slightly better if you don't use digital zoom much
-button backlit looks so cheap because especially the windows key is not homogeneously illuminated
-display is (at least for my eyes) not brighter in sunlight

So for now it's not a big upgrade from my 920. I think I will wait until they fix the screen issues and the price goes down. Btw it's just 489? here in Germany. I know that's a pretty good price but I will wait.

I totally agree with you.. I also add that battery life after 3 days is as bad as first day.. 12 hours with regular use

Btw, this phone looks like my next heating machine for winter

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Quite possibly the most solidly built, aesthetically pleasing and feature packed phone I've ever used.
I'm finding wp8.1 is amazing, such a sleek designed interface, tonnes of fun innovative apps, the animations and transitions are so fluid.
Damn that camera drool...

GammelOter

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
-wakeup is much slower than on Lumia 920. Would say almost twice the time

I decided to do a test and found wakeup to be about 0.6 sec on the 920 and about 0.9 sec on the 930. The 930 used 0.25 sec fade in time starting around 0.7 sec.

This is definitely noticeable but not a deal breaker in my case. I tend to use double tap now as I don't have to change the grip to wake the phone.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Okay, can anyone with Orange or Green Lumia 930 please give their impression of the color? I see that people with orange is disappointed in the color since it seems a little darkish in the pictures.

I was really considering a orange 930, so now I'm wondering what to do. How is the green? Is that just as (too much) bright? Can anyone manage to get the right color on a picture to show us?

I went to check both colors in a store and I thought the orange looked just as good as advertised. The green however seemed much brighter than in pictures and I would've hoped it would've been just a bit lighter/less bright color. I really like the orange but I don't know if it's really my color in general.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I decided to do a test and found wakeup to be about 0.6 sec on the 920 and about 0.9 sec on the 930. The 930 used 0.25 sec fade in time starting around 0.7 sec.

Lumia 920 vs 930 wakeup time - YouTube

This is definitely noticeable but not a deal breaker in my case. I tend to use double tap now as I don't have to change the grip to wake the phone.
Keep in mind folks, the 920 is something like 19 months old, it's on its 10th firmware update.... although one would have hoped the one good thing of us getting the Icon 5 months late would be no more day 1 issues. Then again it is running on 8.1, which just came out.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
My 920 is running 8.1, too. And it's the exact same build. So WP 8.1 is not a valid point. The display problems are very frustrating, especially since the icon is out some time, as you mentioned.

Although I did not stop the time, the difference to wake up are bigger with my devices.

matthew550

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping it will get better soon as I was hoping to take this on vacation with me. I have mine connected to just wi-fi (waiting for Cricket to activate the nano SIM chip...) and the battery feels like it dies much faster than any other phone I have (all background tasks but Weather are off). It's probably since I'm messing around with it a lot so I'll give a few more days/charging cycles before I make my decision. Otherwise, I really like the phone and camera. If you have a 920 and are sitting on an upgrade, though, I recommend waiting for whatever might be coming later this year. The 930 is an incremental update, not a major one.

I totally agree with you.. I also add that battery life after 3 days is as bad as first day.. 12 hours with regular use

Btw, this phone looks like my next heating machine for winter

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I just cannot get over how well built this phone is, the single block of aluminium construction + poly back + tapered GG3 front, the weight feels "just right" imo, really premium. It all appears to be so precisely executed....

I've found the battery to last me all day under moderate use, which is how I use it. It can heat up but I don't care.

(my old phone was a Sammy GS3)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just cannot get over how well built this phone is, the single block of aluminium construction + poly back + tapered GG3 front, the weight feels "just right" imo, really premium. It all appears to be so precisely executed....

I've found the battery to last me all day under moderate use, which is how I use it. It can heat up but I don't care.

(my old phone was a Sammy GS3)

Yeah, I've been running to the local tech stores several times the last week now just to get hands on with the device. It is absolutely gorgeous!

I just can't decide whether to get one now or not.. I don't really need a new phone yet, but I'd likely get one the next 6 months. However I have a 50€ voucher that is good for until 15th of August. Most likely even in 6 months I can't get the phone for that price (or even if I could I might just get it now...) so I'm torn between the options :p

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've been running to the local tech stores several times the last week now just to get hands on with the device. It is absolutely gorgeous!

I just can't decide whether to get one now or not.. I don't really need a new phone yet, but I'd likely get one the next 6 months. However I have a 50€ voucher that is good for until 15th of August. Most likely even in 6 months I can't get the phone for that price (or even if I could I might just get it now...) so I'm torn between the options :p

Same here... I really shouldn't be buying any more phones, just got a 1520.3 a few months ago lol. I'd sell it if I get a 930, but I can't bring myself to buy one so far considering it doesn't have North American LTE bands (yet), poorer battery life, and no glance. Also, I'd have to do without the Flash Video app I love, as it's been taken down from the market place for some reason. Installed it on my 1520 just in time.

Mirtul

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My review so far:

First the shape - While bearable, the sharp edges makes it a lot more uncomfortable than the 920 and it goes from being natural in your hand to somewhat uncomfortable. This sensation gets worse as you use the phone and the insides get hot. Instead of placing the parts that overheat at the top (as in the 920) or not overheat at all (as it should be), this phone burns right where you hold your hand which makes it almost painful, and a bad idea for extended use. This situation worsens even more when you try to play some music and you realize that the speaker is placed just where you hold your hand and all sound all but disappears when you try to let it rest in your hand, forcing you to bend your hand around the speaker uncomfortably to get sound from it. As you now hold it somewhat unbalanced you are prone to still bump Into the speaker once in a while making the sound flicker. If you want to listen to music while using this phone you should use a headset (earbuds not included with phone, buy some).

As for size, its length makes it too big for one handed use. Using the higher resolution I could use my old layout of buttons on start screen and still reach everything, but it leaves a black no-buttons-land on the right side of phone (I use phone in left hand) that I can't use that I will look to fill up with fake icons later so it looks better.

Performance wise, I can't say I notice a big change from the 920. I guess it should faster, and it probably is, but its subtle.

So why should you get this phone instead of a 920? To be honest I only see one thing going for this phone and that is the screen. It is much better than the 920, and a pleasure to look at. It comes at a hefty price though, as it no longer supports the glance screen which is both really useful and a big part of making it feel like your personal phone.

Conclusion: I bought this phone because my 920 has started rebooting and getting problems. Holding it now is not a sense of an upgrade, but a downgrade which is a terrible review for a phone that comes out from the same company years later. All the careful thought that wad made in the design seems to have been all but forgotten and replaced with a design that is not only less comfortable, but actually unforgivably stupid at times. If you still have a working 920, stick to it - If you don't, see if you can find one cheap and try it out. Chances are you will. find it the better choice.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have to disagree a little after I have used mine for over a week.

The form factor of the phone is indeed sharper than the 920, so I have to agree that it's not as good in the hand as 920. But it's not hurting my hand and it doesn't make me think about it.

The speaker placement is IMO much better, especially when playing games. On the 920 I ALWAYS had my hand over the speaker when gaming. Now I don't. The speaker is far better to. Even when I hold the phone normally, it's good. I never wrap my whole hand around it either.

The size is big, but no that big. The bezel is actually small, and I just compared it to a Sony phone and it was about 1 cm shorter, even with the same screen size. My hands are kinda big, not huge..and 80 % of everything I need to do on the phone I can do with one hand.

It's faster, I've checked. At least when it comes to third party apps. The built in apps are about as fast as 920. Facebook Beta is much faster, so is TVShow and so on.

I recommend this phone, it has some great new things that the 920 doesn't have and that screen. It is amazing. If you have a functional 920, you don't HAVE to upgrade, but it's a good upgrade nonetheless. :)

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I kept my 920 as a spare, and looking at both together I can't believe how plasticky the 920 is. Never thought that before, but the 930 is so premium and sharp. It gets warm sometimes, but I kind of like that in a strange way. Will be lovely in the winter! I am finding the battery life pretty similar to the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5. I have several wireless charging plates (the cheap ones from eBay) and whenever I put it down it is on one of these. I also bought the Nokia DC-16 portable charger for when I'm out for a full day. Nokia Universal Portable USB Charger DC-16 - Overview - Nokia - UK - looks great in white to match my phone!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I kept my 920 as a spare, and looking at both together I can't believe how plasticky the 920 is. Never thought that before, but the 930 is so premium and sharp. It gets warm sometimes, but I kind of like that in a strange way. Will be lovely in the winter! I am finding the battery life pretty similar to the iPhone 5 and Nexus 5. I have several wireless charging plates (the cheap ones from eBay) and whenever I put it down it is on one of these. I also bought the Nokia DC-16 portable charger for when I'm out for a full day. Nokia Universal Portable USB Charger DC-16 - Overview - Nokia - UK - looks great in white to match my phone!

I've only had hands on with the 930 in the store, but I feel the same. In it's own right I love the 920 and it still looks and feels more premium to me than vast majoriy of smartphones in the last years, but even then the 930 feels a lot more premium compared to my 920! Could just be the graving for a new tech piece though.. ;)

GammelOter

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I thought the speed of the 930 didn't make a difference compared to the 920 during the first couple of days, but after a week I have to admit.. It's quite a big change. You notice especially when jumping between many apps and you need stuff done quickly. So far it's been 100% stable and delivered a superb experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12