Nokia Lumia 930: User Reviews

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I decided to do a test and found wakeup to be about 0.6 sec on the 920 and about 0.9 sec on the 930. The 930 used 0.25 sec fade in time starting around 0.7 sec.

Lumia 920 vs 930 wakeup time - YouTube

This is definitely noticeable but not a deal breaker in my case. I tend to use double tap now as I don't have to change the grip to wake the phone.

This is weird, as I've been in a few different tech stores trying out the 930s and checking out the color options with my own eyes and this behavior is consistent. Every 930 in every store I've found wakes up signifigantly slower than ANY other Lumia right next to them. Be it 1520 or a 925 or 630... they all wake up in probably that 0,6s and comparable to each other, but not the 930. I wonder what's up and whether it can be fixed with updates?

It's not a deal breaker to me, but it's still very weird. I wonder if it's the display at fault?

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So how is everyone finding the battery life? Any noticeable drains or heat? And how does it compare to the 920, which if I'm honest isn't great for heavy use.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This is weird, as I've been in a few different tech stores trying out the 930s and checking out the color options with my own eyes and this behavior is consistent. Every 930 in every store I've found wakes up signifigantly slower than ANY other Lumia right next to them. Be it 1520 or a 925 or 630... they all wake up in probably that 0,6s and comparable to each other, but not the 930. I wonder what's up and whether it can be fixed with updates?

It's not a deal breaker to me, but it's still very weird. I wonder if it's the display at fault?

I think that it's the displays fault. They did not use a high-end panel and that's what we got....

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think that it's the displays fault. They did not use a high-end panel and that's what we got....
I wouldn't think so, and I would also question why you think this si not a high-end panel. All the review so far are raving about the screen.

I am quite sure any performance issues, like slow wake up, focus speed, etc. can be taken care of by future firmware updates as soon as they had time to optimize it for the HW and WP 8.1.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think some people's view on the screen not being high end is mostly related to the lack of display memory. But I have to agree that I think the screen for most parts is just fantastic looking.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't think so, and I would also question why you think this si not a high-end panel. All the review so far are raving about the screen.

Because reviewers tell always the truth...

Okay then let get started:

-display is brighter in the lower section and darker in the upper (absolute no-go for a so called high-end device)
-display has a slow response time resulting in discoloration and frayed (not sure this is the right word) letters while scrolling (this one, too)
-display is pentile (you can argue about whether this is visible or not)
-display is not very bright (to my eye not brighter than 920 and lower than S5 and iPhone 5S)
-viewing angles are good, but not perfect (I got a blue tint with two devices when viewing from the sides)

So this has nothing to do with the memory of the display.

And then there is the pruple tint issue, but this is a SW problem. Still: The device is 6 months old (as the icon) and there is still this damn visible bug. This is just embarrassing for Nokia in my opinion.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my 930 2 days ago, so far, generally happy with it, no noticeable purple hue, does not get hot, sometimes warm but not hot. Battery life is not stellar, but over the years I have learnt to give it a week to settle down so I will be able to comment more authoratively on this after a few more days. All in all, not ground breaking device, but a nice upgrade from my ageing 920!!!

chada398

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got 930 yesterday, upgrading from Lumia 720 that was beginning to slowdown with 8.1 and battery packing it in. I was planning to wait for McLaren but after seeing the 930 in the store I couldn't stop myself. It was even better when I found out later that day McLaren has been cancelled so definitely no regrets there.

Holding the phone, it is beautiful. I got black and everything is just so clean and precision like. Design wise I really like centred displays, so that is the only thing I would have changed.

Coming from 720, this thing is blazing. Really happy with speed, glad to be back in the high end camp.

Display and camera obviously awesome. Really like integration between Nokia cam and creative studio. Quite liked my previous combo of Microsoft cam and PhotoShop express but won't be able to do that anymore.

I got it in the UK, so got $150 worth of Bluetooth stuff coming in the mail for free. I'm from New Zealand and will be back there soon though, I checked 4g bands and should work, fingers crossed.

Battery not impressive like my 720 was, hopefully battery will improve a bit. Finding it hard to get nice looking start screen with three tile width but I'll keep playing.

I love the phone and recommend to all

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
My two cents. I had been waiting for Nokia's new phone due out later this year, but after hearing it had been shelved I finally caved and went for an early upgrade from EE from the 920 to the orange 930. Stumped up the ?140 to end my contract early (some of which I hope to recoup from selling my 920) and got the 930 + the free wireless pack. Used the back up data from my old phone to set up the 930. Looking at both side by side, the difference in display quality is startling. Crystal clear screen with vibrant colours. The OS is slick and fast. Have not missed Glance.Not overly keen on the orange back so will be getting a case, the only drawback will be covering the bezel which I really like the look of. Love the bigger screen and lighter feel of the phone. The free wireless pack is a bonus. The wireless speaker is not up to much but I think I will make good use of the wireless charging plate. Just need Fitbit to release an official app now the Bluetooth is compatible and I will be a happy girlie..........well maybe when we get Cortana in the UK.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
My two cents. I had been waiting for Nokia's new phone due out later this year, but after hearing it had been shelved I finally caved and went for an early upgrade from EE from the 920 to the orange 930. Stumped up the ?140 to end my contract early (some of which I hope to recoup from selling my 920) and got the 930 + the free wireless pack. Used the back up data from my old phone to set up the 930. Looking at both side by side, the difference in display quality is startling. Crystal clear screen with vibrant colours. The OS is slick and fast. Have not missed Glance.Not overly keen on the orange back so will be getting a case, the only drawback will be covering the bezel which I really like the look of. Love the bigger screen and lighter feel of the phone. The free wireless pack is a bonus. The wireless speaker is not up to much but I think I will make good use of the wireless charging plate. Just need Fitbit to release an official app now the Bluetooth is compatible and I will be a happy girlie..........well maybe when we get Cortana in the UK.

I don't know what Fitbit offers but have you tried the Bing Health & Fitness app!? Its grate for keeping track of steps taken (walking & running), nutrition and a heap of different workouts.

Regarding Cortana, go to settings and change the language to English (united states) then go back to settings and change your country region to united states (region format can stay as your own country) reboot phone then go back to settings swipe right to left and you will see cortana under applications click and activate. Then you will see cortana in your app list and can access it by holding the search symbol :) enjoy

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what Fitbit offers but have you tried the Bing Health & Fitness app!? Its grate for keeping track of steps taken (walking & running), nutrition and a heap of different workouts.

Regarding Cortana, go to settings and change the language to English (united states) then go back to settings and change your country region to united states (region format can stay as your own country) reboot phone then go back to settings swipe right to left and you will see cortana under applications click and activate. Then you will see cortana in your app list and can access it by holding the search symbol :) enjoy
Or wait 2 weeks for Cortana. :smile:

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I played a bit with the 930 in a store (WP8.1 is not new to me as I've been using the developer preview on my 925 since it's out) so just a few words about the device itself. Although it does indeed look very premium, with high quality materials, I just cannot believe that they made it that chunky again! It's as if they did not learn the lesson of the 920 (which I owned as well)

Microsoft better come up real soon with a device that's comparable with the iPhone 5s and all recent Android devices which are all very slim and much lighter... I'll stick to my 925 until then...

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep that's my number one complaint after owning one. There is no need at all for a smartphone in 2014 to be so chunky and heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, I have already had a play with Cortana via this method so I am just waiting for her to show up in the UK. I have a Fitbit smart pedometer so I am awaiting an official app now that the pedometer can sync via BT.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
No worries, keep me posted on when the uk get cortana as I would prefer to have my region set to uk rather than us untill Australia gets her.

Have you used the bing health and fitness app? Would be interest to hear reviews from people that have used other pedometers, band, apps ect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire