Nokia Lumia 930: User Reviews

L0cke

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered a black unlocked 930 for ?199. This will be my second Windows Phone, as had an 8X a few years ago and have been on android otherwise. Looking forward to getting it this week and will then share my opinions of it.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a black unlocked 930 for ?199. This will be my second Windows Phone, as had an 8X a few years ago and have been on android otherwise. Looking forward to getting it this week and will then share my opinions of it.
You will notice the difference my friend. Had an HTC 8X myself. The screen will blow you away...and that's just where the fun starts. The camera is awesome too.

John Wiskowski

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just got a brand new Lumia 930. Upgrading from a 635 and HTC One M8. So far, I am very pleased. No apparent issues except the odd scrolling bug in the app list. Won't be able to test battery until tomorrow. I immediately used whte Windows Phone Update Tool to flash the latest Denim firmware/OS.

Screen is amazing (coming from a Nexus 6 before got back on WP)
Camera is near perfect
In hand feel is pleasant in the case I picked up (Nillkin Frosted Matte Hard Back on Amazon)
It is very fast and response

More to come...

elando_16

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

I've had the Lumia 930 for 1 month now & today I got it activated on at&t (previously had a 920 for 2yrs)

I'm loving the phone already.

Pros (for me)
- 5" screen 1080p
- Camera (5 star)
- Responsiveness (very quick while navigating between apps, browser & etc) ..no lag, well never had any issues with my 920
- Weight (its very light, I got used to the "heavyness" of my 920 but its a good change)
- Dolby Sound

I upgraded to Denim about 2 weeks ago and saw the change with the camera ..there's still a lot to learn for me with Lumia Denim but I'll tinker with the phone more ..it's my daily driver now.

There's that overheating issue but it's something I went through with my 920 when I first got it, no biggie. Signal is good, I live in Florida so no problems here. Speed is good, I'm on HSPA+ ..can't really tell a difference YET from LTE ..but i'm always on the Wi-Fi at home & work so no issues. I did notice a slight blinking, nothing big. I haven't noticed the "purple hue" problem many have talked about ..nothing over here. Overall very pleased with this phone, it's a big change from the 920 ..although I do miss GLANCE, that's something I always got used to but i'll get used to it.

One more thing & sorry for the long post ..for accessories, does anyone know the best armband for the 930 (i hit the gym a lot & want to protect it. Also do you guys put a screen protector on your 930s, I don't really want to but I might have to.

Cheers

Douglas Choong

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 930 camera problem

My 930 takes the best photos I have ever experienced... stunning! I had a 920, S4, and family members has iPhone 6... all can't match my 930.

Douglas Choong

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Got the orange 930. Yes, bright, but love it, so unique and edgy and futuristic. But I had a protective cover (because I often drop anything so I must have extra protection just in case) and the only cover available at the store at that time was black. Now I have the black look with some bright orange showing through (like the rim of the flash and circular camera lens) which looks cool too!

SanPedroUK

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Had my 930 for a few weeks now and so far it's more than living up to expectations. Bought it 2nd hand with 90 day warranty in really good condition for ?180 inc delivery. Camera is excellent for a phone and is miles ahead of my old HTC 8S or my wife's HTC 8X. It has satiated my need for a separate pocket camera to complement my Sony RX10. I had thought of getting the 1020, but thought the screen and other features on the 930 would make it a better choice.

The screen is a gem. Just gorgeous. Videos play seamlessly and colour, contrast, black levels, all superb. Build quality is terrific... feels nice and solid. Love the metal trim and buttons.

Niggles so far? Does get a bit warm using the sat nav (heredrive). Battery life is not great when web surfing... I'm wondering if my battery is duff it seems so poor. It obviously feels a bit weightier than my old 8S, but then that's to be expected given it's so much bigger. Plus I have it in a flip case to keep it nice n tidy (I don't like screen protectors... whyput some cruddy plastic over such a gorgeous screen ;-) )

Overall, a very nice phone and one that I'm looking forward to upgrading to Win 10. In fact the whole Win 10 , 1 OS on everything, is one of the main reasons for sticking with Windows Phone. I hope they get it right.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
The battery life issues many speak of astound me. The brand new white/gold 930 I just got for my mother is still on its first charge, almost 48 hours later.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, I jumped ship from android. I had a Samdung ( yes that's right Samdung ), Note 3. Lovely phone, but security on Android always bothered me, and the fact it is open source, yet manufacturers tie you in knots when you want to explore other versions of 'open source' material. Then they introduced Knox. That was it for me.

Anyways, decided, after much deliberation, and being looked at like a madman, I plumped for the 930. Never had a windows phone, so completely unbiased view... I love the 930. Had it a couple of weeks now, and as a heavily used phone by a taxi driver, it does all I need. Love cortana, like the maps, like the fact that you can play with the tiles and like the general feel of the 930. My biggest gripe is getting a tempered glass screen for it due to the curved edges. I've always used them, and they have saved many a screen. A minor gripe, coming from android, is the inability to avoid adverts in IE, which isn't that great either. Minor niggles, but niggles just the same.

To sum up. Love the 930, quite enjoy the win 8.1 on the phone as I can sync it with my PC and the xbox one. As a phone, and used as a phone it is a great piece of kit. For browsing it's pretty good, for gaming ( I don't do gaming ) I would imagine the store content would frustrate many android swappers. I liked it so much, I bought my daughter a 635! Then I discover she has haptic feedback on keyboard, and I don't :(

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Switched back from an Android smartphone Sony Xperia Z2 to the Lumia 930. Android is simply a mess even with Lollipop, lacks unification and as I don't use that many apps it was easy choice. While the 930 heats up a bit - albeit less than when I got a week ago - and the screen sometimes flashes plus other small downsides I really prefer it because:
+The aluminium frame and weight of the device offer a premium grip, much better to hold when taken photos than the Xperia Z2 for instance
+Continuing about the the construction: the backside's polycarbonate plastic is a pleasant material and I don't need to constantly worry about how safe it is from scratches (as opposed to phones with glass backside)
+The unique colors such as orange and green, I chose the green one
+Screen has deep blacks and is easily visible in sunlight (Z2 had a sharp screen, but it managed poorly in direct sunlight)
+Screen-to-body ratio is excellent at 70.9 %, the iPhones are notoriously bad in that regard
+Camera is fast to launch and snap a photo, delivering excellent quality and the OIS keeps things steady, also the fact that it has a dedicated camera button is greatly appreciated
+Very snappy, I had the 830 a few months ago and while it wasn't slow in any regard the 930 is even faster on day-to-day basis

-Argued over and over, but I do miss the glance screen from the likes of 925/1020
-Some manufacturing flaws which seem common

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 930 mini-Review

After bemoaning the lack of true new flagships and suffering with a Lumia 830 for 6 months (seriously, the 830 is a usability and performance disaster), I pulled the trigger on the 930. To my extreme surprise, the 930 turned out to be a dream device. Why doesn't it assuage the flagship needs of many? Lack of availability.

I got the international unlocked version RM-1045 from Amazon, for US$350, in daring and gorgeous Black & Gold (gloriously without carrier branding). This version does not support LTE bands on US GSM networks, only HSPA speeds using an AT&T SIM. But it matters not. Why? Because in the US we are tied to strict data caps so we end up using Wi-Fi for most data-intensive tasks, and 3.5G speeds are nothing to scoff at. Case in point: I'll take a 930 using3.5G data speeds but running a Snapdragon 800 processor, than an 830 with LTE enabled but chugging a middling Snapdragon 400 and struggling to load web pages and resuming apps. There's no comparison, the 930 is very fast, much faster than the 830 and even runs Windows 10 preview sw like a champ.

The 930 hw specs, at around 2 years of age, still shine with Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows 10 Mobile. It's a matter of value as well: you pay $350 for this hw now vs. something like $700 when the Snapdragon 808/810 Lumias hit the market (you can probably snag an unlocked 930 for $300 or less come November).

PROs
- Superlative 20mpx Pureview camera
-Handsome design (I personally like the "fatter" more generous trim - awesome in gold)
- Special Edition colors (Gold & Black/White)
- Decent battery life
- Great screen resolution, size, color
​- Fast

CONs
- No Glance screen
- No microSD support
- On the heavy side compared to the 830

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Not only do I have a written review, I also have a video one!

That's the first video I've ever edited, so I'd love some feedback. I also wrote a text review earlier this year. Here's a link to my blog post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12