Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Not frowned upon here. It produces some gorgeous pics all round. Now if only it was not a Samsung or Android lol

Look I do like WP, its the best OS I think. But as a whole the hardware lets it down. And the 930 has not helped. I will be returning mine for a full refund.

I'm in the same boat as you. Check my review thread.

In the last half an hour, i've popped my sim back in my iPhone 5s as i'm working away the next few days and need certain apps to work. Just found out that I can use an app to view but not edit my Google Docs on WP, which isn't much help as I use it a lot...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If I was that let down by the 930 as you guys are (which I doubt unless I get a HW defect which I should get replaced just fine, as for other downsides it's just typical WP and I've accepted those), I'd probably just go back to my 920.. but if I had to look for a phone outside WP it would most likely be an Xperia Z2 :p

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
If I was that let down by the 930 as you guys are (which I doubt unless I get a HW defect which I should get replaced just fine, as for other downsides it's just typical WP and I've accepted those), I'd probably just go back to my 920.. but if I had to look for a phone outside WP it would most likely be an Xperia Z2 :p

Never owned the Z2, but that us due to it's size, just too big for me i'm afraid. It does look like a pretty good handset though. I think Sony realised that the sizing was wrong, hence the Z3 coming already.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Never owned the Z2, but that us due to it's size, just too big for me i'm afraid. It does look like a pretty good handset though. I think Sony realised that the sizing was wrong, hence the Z3 coming already.

Actually the Z3 is coming as scheduled. Unlike other OEMs, Sony has a 6 month schedule between flagships instead of the 1 year gap. It can be frustrating but that's what they opted to do. The best way to deal with that is: if you have a Z, the phone next to it is the Z2. If you have a Z1, the next in line is the Z3. Because between the Z1 and the Z3, the Z2 is only a very very tiny upgrade.

If you buy Sony phones, here's what you must know: they present a flagship at MWC and another at IFA.

That said, Sony realized the increasing size of phones is not to everyone's taste and hence the Z1 Compact, the only REAL mini-flagship (it has all the same specs of the Z1 except the 1080p screen...because it comes in 4.3)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Yea it could be that it's too big for my taste too, but the fact that it's the only Android-phone ever that has even remotely managed to make me feel a slight urge to get an Android-phone, that's a really, REALLY good achievement :D They just feel very premium to me the little I've tried them.

But really, when I think about it, what is it that keeps me in WP these days? The reason I got a WP were largely 1) Nokia 2) integrated FB chat. Nokia is pretty much no more and thats a huge reason Im getting the 930 now, it's probably just about the last Nokia-branded phone. Integrated FB chat is also gone with 8.1. There's just about nothing crucial holding me here anymore. Sure, I like the UI and OS, but it does have it's downsides. I'm not saying Android is anywhere near perfect either, but I used to have a Symbian phone that I loved, that was slow too but it did just about everything :D It seriously has got me thinking.. I suppose I can't get automated uploading to OneDrive for photos with Android, but that's about it, everything else would more likely work just fine. But I do like the Windows-ecosystem and every device I have pretty much runs Windows of some sort (see sig). But I just sorta realized that there isn't really much left anymore that I can't get on other platforms (since Office is available to others too now), even within the ecosystem. I just hate Google, I'd rather not have anything to do with Google..

But I already bought the 930 anyways and the finnish return policies arnt quite as liberal as in the US, so it would have to end up pretty bad for me to be able to even return the 930 for a full refund and consider any other phone for now.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Yea it could be that it's too big for my taste too, but the fact that it's the only Android-phone ever that has even remotely managed to make me feel a slight urge to get an Android-phone, that's a really, REALLY good achievement :D They just feel very premium to me the little I've tried them.

But really, when I think about it, what is it that keeps me in WP these days? The reason I got a WP were largely 1) Nokia 2) integrated FB chat. Nokia is pretty much no more and thats a huge reason Im getting the 930 now, it's probably just about the last Nokia-branded phone. Integrated FB chat is also gone with 8.1. There's just about nothing crucial holding me here anymore. Sure, I like the UI and OS, but it does have it's downsides. I'm not saying Android is anywhere near perfect either, but I used to have a Symbian phone that I loved, that was slow too but it did just about everything :D It seriously has got me thinking.. I suppose I can't get automated uploading to OneDrive for photos with Android, but that's about it, everything else would more likely work just fine. But I do like the Windows-ecosystem and every device I have pretty much runs Windows of some sort (see sig). But I just sorta realized that there isn't really much left anymore that I can't get on other platforms (since Office is available to others too now), even within the ecosystem. I just hate Google, I'd rather not have anything to do with Google..

But I already bought the 930 anyways and the finnish return policies arnt quite as liberal as in the US, so it would have to end up pretty bad for me to be able to even return the 930 for a full refund and consider any other phone for now.

The best Nokia I have ever owned was the 8910i. Manufacturers now days have no idea about a premium phone compared to that handset!

Hate to say, but there is a OneDrive app on the Play store, so the one reason you have isn't really reason anymore ;o)

I guess that you have never experienced the Google+ photo backup service? To be honest, it smashes anything from WP or iOS, truly a great product. In fact, i think Google will close the social networking aspect of G+ and purely use it as a photo backup and sharing service, well that's what i've picked up reading online.

Unfortuantely I think the Google ecosystem is only going to get stronger and more dominant. If that wasn't the case, i think Samsung would have released a Tizen flagship by now, but they seem to have thought better of it, probably due to whats happening with WP.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Put some one my Onedrive. Probably the best comparison is the flower bed, on the right of the 930 image it's a lot softer towards the edge. I really like the 930 in the hand but I need a good camera I can pick up and use rather than lugging the DSLR around although I've bought a Samsung NX300 which is getting taken wherever I can at the moment so i'm not too reliant on the phone.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=22FE5F51C4942261!14157&authkey=!AG5PlBODGeyQmG0&ithint=folder,

Wow!!!!!!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The best Nokia I have ever owned was the 8910i. Manufacturers now days have no idea about a premium phone compared to that handset!

Hate to say, but there is a OneDrive app on the Play store, so the one reason you have isn't really reason anymore ;o)

I guess that you have never experienced the Google+ photo backup service? To be honest, it smashes anything from WP or iOS, truly a great product. In fact, i think Google will close the social networking aspect of G+ and purely use it as a photo backup and sharing service, well that's what i've picked up reading online.

Unfortuantely I think the Google ecosystem is only going to get stronger and more dominant. If that wasn't the case, i think Samsung would have released a Tizen flagship by now, but they seem to have thought better of it, probably due to whats happening with WP.

I know there is a OneDrive app, but would there be automatic uploading there? Although not that it really matters, I only enabled it recently to get more storage for OneDrive :D (there was a promotion thingie going on). For pics that matter I still manually upload those to me and my fiancees shared OneDrive folder, so in reality it probably wouldnt be much of an issue, except for the lack of integration (uploading directly from camera roll as opposed to opening the OneDrive app on Android most likely?).

I'm pretty content with keeping my main ecosystem on Microsoft though. But that's just the thing, with everything MS going multiplatform recently, it seriously starts to be very little that is exclusive to WP anymore. I could pretty much change to Android and not lose out on anything except like.. Live tiles :p

I don't think Tizen will get anywhere though, it's not even about good or bad OS.. it's gonna require a miracle to throw off Apple and Android, pretty much requiring them to mess up. Much like happened with Nokia, it's not that the competitors really overtook em per se... it was more about Nokia staying behind with it's own bad decisions.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I know there is a OneDrive app, but would there be automatic uploading there? Although not that it really matters, I only enabled it recently to get more storage for OneDrive :D (there was a promotion thingie going on). For pics that matter I still manually upload those to me and my fiancees shared OneDrive folder, so in reality it probably wouldnt be much of an issue, except for the lack of integration (uploading directly from camera roll as opposed to opening the OneDrive app on Android most likely?).

I'm pretty content with keeping my main ecosystem on Microsoft though. But that's just the thing, with everything MS going multiplatform recently, it seriously starts to be very little that is exclusive to WP anymore. I could pretty much change to Android and not lose out on anything except like.. Live tiles :p

I don't think Tizen will get anywhere though, it's not even about good or bad OS.. it's gonna require a miracle to throw off Apple and Android, pretty much requiring them to mess up. Much like happened with Nokia, it's not that the competitors really overtook em per se... it was more about Nokia staying behind with it's own bad decisions.

That's exactly what I meant regarding Tizen. I think that iOS and Android have got too big and are embedded in peoples lives too much. Making the change to a new OS is almost unthinkable for most people, hence the slow uptake with WP i guess.

TBH, i think that Microsoft killed any chance of WP success by upsetting millions of consumers with Vista and Windows 7!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and scrap that. OneDrive can now automatically back up/upload photos from Android's camera roll.

Sadly probably that app is better too over on Android :p

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the majority of people are disappointed by the phone. If your coming from a 1020 and have bought the phone for the updated hardware then the camera can't hold a candle to it and with good reason. However the 930 camera is exceptional in it's own right but it's not a point and shoot device, to get the best out of it you have to use all the settings at your disposal. Me I love it compared to my GS5 I prefer it anytime and will be using it more everyday. Will it replace my 1020 or 1520 possibly not but i'll have just as much fun trying to get shots like this below, Slightly edited in Adobe Lightroom. MS is going in the right direction with the hardware so it will be great to see what they cook up later in the lifecycle of 8.1.
View attachment 72790

Attachments

• WP_20140721_009.jpg
    WP_20140721_009.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Put some one my Onedrive. Probably the best comparison is the flower bed, on the right of the 930 image it's a lot softer towards the edge. I really like the 930 in the hand but I need a good camera I can pick up and use rather than lugging the DSLR around although I've bought a Samsung NX300 which is getting taken wherever I can at the moment so i'm not too reliant on the phone.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=22FE5F51C4942261!14157&authkey=!AG5PlBODGeyQmG0&ithint=folder,

I thought the 930 produced the better pictures here. The other camera (Samsung?) relied on too much artificial sharpening.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope, the NX300 is better but under perfect conditions like this even my old N95 can take great pictures.

None of those pics were taken with the NX300 it produces a lot better pics than those examples. Both sets of pics are from the 930 and the Samsung Galaxy S5, the one drive descriptions have the file names on them to distinguish both.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought the 930 produced the better pictures here. The other camera (Samsung?) relied on too much artificial sharpening.

Lumia 1/1222
Samsung 1/486

Like I say before, Lumia tends to high shutter speed. If you guys want a picture overexposed like Samsung cam, just use EV.

I think Samsung it's better here, but only because this. They are very equal cameras.

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Samsung pics are better, but 930 is almost there! Incridible job!!

Although the 930 and the S5 have similar sensor size, and image resolution, the S5 has one very major camera hardware omission - optical image stabilization. This makes a huge difference when taking pictures in lowlight.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I hardly see any "pics and videos taken with your Lumia 930!".

Can't we have one discussion thread and one for actual pics and videos???

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Although the 930 and the S5 have similar sensor size, and image resolution, the S5 has one very major camera hardware omission - optical image stabilization. This makes a huge difference when taking pictures in lowlight.

Yeah, you're right. But looks like Samsung S5 have a better camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077