The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-17-2017 02:26 PM
1,005 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Would an app like pro shot make a difference?
    07-20-2014 01:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply
    07-20-2014 01:54 PM
    Seems completely legit for 930 auto setting shots. I have 1520 which have essentially same camera. I can't take any better photos with auto settings since that 2.4f aperture needs to bump ISO way too high to collect enough light. The trick is manually set ISO so low that OIS still can maintain camera steady. Sometimes it needs whole 1 second exposure time to collect enough light, but with some practise you know when to press shutter button and for shutter button i mean button that is on your screen , not psychical camera button since it automaticly causes phone to move and ruin photo. 1 sec exposures, free hands are possible I have never seen photo where auto settings would have gone slower than 1/3 sec. There is lot of room to improve your photos and you can easily half ISO value needed for your shots. If barely possible do not ever go over 800 ISO. At 400 ISO there is quite lot noise already but it also depens of scene how bad it will look. If there is lot of bright and extremely dark areas you can shoot relatively high ISO and it wont show that much.

But yes, that is all you can get on auto settings. 930 isn't low light camera how you all used to know 920 camera. But you can get equally good low light shots if you know how. I owned 920 and OIS were not that good on it compared to 1520/930. 920 is way easier to take good low light compared to 930. The lens on it is just so much faster. 930 is geared more to to daylight shot. It can do good in twilight shots too, but really low light not so much if you don't know what to do.

If 930 had same 2.0f aperture, low light photos would be beyond of this world when it comes to smartphone photography.

Here is sample to give you all some courage to use manual settings for low light shots.

Auto settings: ISO 2500 - 1/4s
    https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore....Pro.jpg?psid=1

Manual settings ISO 400 - 1.55s

This how dark scene were in reality

I was suprised that how easy it was to take that 1.55s shot and i only needed one try. Be brave and try it out yourself.

Just to test out i tried what that build in night mode does. It half's ISO used compared to full auto and uses slower shutter speed instead.
    https://qnrheq.dm2302.livefilestore....Pro.jpg?psid=1 ISO 1250 - 0.56s compared to ISO 2500 - 1/4s @ full auto. If you don't wan't to fiddle with settings too much just use night mode in Nokia camera and quality of photos is greatly increased. Just remember that anything moving is severely blurred.

When i owned 920 i very rarely could get blur free shot slower than 1/8s speeds. Just to put comparison how much better OIS is in 930/1520. Half second shots are easy whit this camera.

This is the same reason why reviewers say it takes bad photos in low light. It really does take bad photos on auto settings. I can take low light photos where people would say that those are taken with DLRS. But all reviewers use always auto settings and results are what they are. This cameras best asset is extremely good OIS but no reviewer ever put it in good use.
    HEY KIDS, THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, TAKE NOTE!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agree with you dude, people on this thread like to assume as fast as possible that the 930's camera sucks, as you pointed out the 920 and 930 work different, the answer for is the 930 capable of great pictures? is a little more complex than saying "it sucks"...

I don't see people praising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.
    Last edited by Chris Wayne2; 07-20-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    M L, GelvinGSM and Jackarl like this.
    07-20-2014 01:57 PM
    Guys, I cannot find night mode in nOkia camera app.
    But there is a night mode in the other camera app.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
    HEY KIDS, THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, TAKE NOTE!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agree with you dude, people on this thread like to assume as fast as possible that the 930's camera sucks, as you pointed out the 920 and 930 work different, the answer for is the 930 capable of great pictures? is a little more complex than saying "it sucks"...

I don't see people prising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.
    07-20-2014 02:35 PM

I don't see people prising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.
    Totally agree. With manual control, camera takes very good photos.
    Lumia 930
    wp_20140720_23_15_14_pro-2-1.jpg

Lumia 920
    wp_20140720_23_25_45_pro.jpg
    07-20-2014 02:35 PM
    The end result people are getting isn't related with anything but poor calibration of the camera algorithms. I can take awesome shots with the 930 as long as the light is somewhat good. If it gets a bit darker, the pixels kick in. Is the same problem with the image in the camera when you're viewing.
    All that noise and pixelling are avoidable as Sony had proven with the Z1 release. It's shameful that it seems the former- Nokia imaging team is going backwards as Sony's moves forward. But then again, under Microsoft anything is possible...

By the way, Lumia Cyan is nothing special. I think we were better served with Black.

(ps - I only shoot in Manual mode)
    07-20-2014 02:56 PM
    Guys, I cannot find night mode in nOkia camera app.
    But there is a night mode in the other camera app.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
    There are two modes on the Nokia Camera App, pro and auto, on pro mode there are no presets, on auto mode you can select presets (like on a compact digital camera) for modes like sports, night, portrait, etc.
    07-20-2014 03:36 PM
    The end result people are getting isn't related with anything but poor calibration of the camera algorithms. I can take awesome shots with the 930 as long as the light is somewhat good. If it gets a bit darker, the pixels kick in. Is the same problem with the image in the camera when you're viewing.
    All that noise and pixelling are avoidable as Sony had proven with the Z1 release. It's shameful that it seems the former- Nokia imaging team is going backwards as Sony's moves forward. But then again, under Microsoft anything is possible...

By the way, Lumia Cyan is nothing special. I think we were better served with Black.

Can't tell if you are right or wrong because I don't have a 930 just yet but from pictures I have seen in this thread I can tell you that they (finally) removed the fugly yellow-ish tone to the pictures, It is present on the "pictures taken with your Lumia Icon" thread but here is non existent, from my point of view Amber algorithms were better even with the softness, I'm really looking forward to see the improvements on my 920. And by the way, most of the times I have to do some Adobe PS correction over my pics runing Black firmware, that was not the case runing Amber.
    07-20-2014 03:43 PM
    Are these 2 different apps, or do you find pro and auto mode in same app?

Thanks
    There are two modes on the Nokia Camera App, pro and auto, on pro mode there are no presets, on auto mode you can select presets (like on a compact digital camera) for modes like sports, night, portrait, etc.
    07-20-2014 04:59 PM
    Are these 2 different apps, or do you find pro and auto mode in same app?

Thanks
    Here is an example of the UI of the auto mode:
    nokia-camera-product-640x399.png

You can toggle the mode by tapping the triangle at the top (next to the sports mode icon)
    07-20-2014 05:18 PM
    I see 2 camera apps.
    One is called CAMERA.
    Other is called Nokia camera.
    I find the scene modes in CAMERA app, but not in Nokia camera.
    Is this correct?
    07-20-2014 05:21 PM
    Got it thanks
    Here is an example of the UI of the auto mode:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nokia-camera-product-640x399.png 
Views:	357 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	72646

You can toggle the mode by tapping the triangle at the top (next to the sports mode icon)
    07-20-2014 05:28 PM
    Maybe somebody can share with us some shots from night and low-light conditions ?
    This please. I want to prove low light is rubbish unless you set something like a 1 second exposure.
    07-20-2014 05:31 PM
    This please. I want to prove low light is rubbish unless you set something like a 1 second exposure.
    MrWhiteman, I do have a feeling that your earlier 920 lowlight pic was taken at a much longer exposure time than the 930. We need to ensure all parameters are compared consistently. It was also noted by others that the 930's OIS is more effective than the 920, therefore it would be justified if a longer exposure time is used for the 930 .
    07-20-2014 06:57 PM
    Can't tell if you are right or wrong because I don't have a 930 just yet but from pictures I have seen in this thread I can tell you that they (finally) removed the fugly yellow-ish tone to the pictures, It is present on the "pictures taken with your Lumia Icon" thread but here is non existent, from my point of view Amber algorithms were better even with the softness, I'm really looking forward to see the improvements on my 920. And by the way, most of the times I have to do some Adobe PS correction over my pics runing Black firmware, that was not the case runing Amber.
    They did remove the yellow tint indeed. Unfortunately they replaced it with screwed algorithms that mess the oversampling and make 99.9% of your REAL low light photos very grainy and pixelated. AT LEAST on the 930. Mind you, it's the only phone I have running Cyan. Which means that it may be a problem with the calibration of the 930's camera and not with the Cyan update itself. However, seeing as Cyan is a firmware update, it will take another update for Microsoft to fix the poor calibration on the 930.
    (By the way, those photos you posted contain a considerable amount of light)
    07-20-2014 07:23 PM
    I've seen your pictures, it seems like a faulty camera for me, damn even my old Lumia 710 produces better pictures!
    07-20-2014 08:39 PM
    I've seen your pictures, it seems like a faulty camera for me, damn even my old Lumia 710 produces better pictures!
    The lowlight photo from his 930 was taken at ISO more than 2000 (edit: sorry it was ISO 3200) which is very high. It was also using a relatively slow shutter of 1/3s. It's either very dark or something was obstructing the light. The 920 was probably capturing the image at near base ISO (probably 200 or less). It could be using exposure time more than 1s long, assuming the same lighting condition for both cameras.
    Last edited by Bahamen; 07-21-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Revised for actual ISO used 3200 not 2000
    Jackarl likes this.
    07-20-2014 09:24 PM
    2 questions pls..
    1. nokia camera app says it saves images in 5mp+16mp.what does this mean? I have only one image saved and how do i know whether it is the 5mp image or 16mp image?
    2.What is the difference between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio?Does 16:9 give better quality photos?
    07-21-2014 02:16 AM
    16:9 gives wider but shorter photos and 4:3 gives more height but less width. You will get more megapixels out of 4:3 plus when you print photos, they are usually on 4:3 paper so I think 4:3 is better. You have to browse the phone via a computer to see both, but the highest one will get uploaded to SkyDrive anyway. If you have ProShot app, it allows 10mpx and 19mpx instead of Nokia Cam which only does 5 and 16
    07-21-2014 02:31 AM
    I can see only one photo although they say there are both 5mp and 16 mp.So, how can I know the photos i have is 5mp or 16 mp?

Thanks
    16:9 gives wider but shorter photos and 4:3 gives more height but less width. You will get more megapixels out of 4:3 plus when you print photos, they are usually on 4:3 paper so I think 4:3 is better. You have to browse the phone via a computer to see both, but the highest one will get uploaded to SkyDrive anyway. If you have ProShot app, it allows 10mpx and 19mpx instead of Nokia Cam which only does 5 and 16
    07-21-2014 02:42 AM
    I can see only one photo although they say there are both 5mp and 16 mp.So, how can I know the photos i have is 5mp or 16 mp?

Thanks
    5mpix photos have Pro.jpg after them and fulres shots have Pro.highres.jpg

example: WP_20131208_19_01_57_Pro.jpg and WP_20131208_19_01_57_Pro__highres.jpg

Phones photo album only shows 5mpix images. If you want get access to fullres shot in your phone you can choose to open photo in Nokia camera, Nokia creative studio or you can use Nokia story teller app which shows you full resolution photos directly from app without opening them in other app first.

Full resolution photos main purpose is that you can crop those afterwards without loosing quality. After cropping is done phone saves new image as 5mpix but original full resolution photo still remains intact for you to edit some point later. 5mpix photos are superior in quality as long you don't zoom in to them no more than 100%. After that there starts to be pixelation when there is no more information to show.
    Last edited by Kissanviikset; 07-21-2014 at 03:35 AM.
    07-21-2014 03:05 AM
    I taken with nokia lumia 930, both of them were used nokia refocus app

wp_20140714_12_25_07_refocus.jpg
    wp_20140714_12_25_33_refocus.jpg
    07-21-2014 04:21 AM

I suppose it takes a lot of practise to know exactly which settings to tap in before the opportunity disappears.

http://1drv.ms/1llwVqS ProShot 19mpx Full Auto. Outdoors, full sunlight.
    Last edited by MrWhiteman; 07-21-2014 at 06:53 AM.
    07-21-2014 06:40 AM
    As requested, some samples of iPhone 5S and Lumia 930. Photos were taken in auto mode on both devices, mainly as the iPhone does not have any other modes lol :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4n3k5l1f...9Q7QxgNoyl5JJa

_iOS = iPhone 5S image.
    _WP = Windows Phone image.

I will take a few more later, and add to this folder.
    07-21-2014 08:13 AM
    Slightly edited in Lightroom
    wp_20140719_16_12_53_raw__highres.jpg
    Original
    wp_20140719_16_12_53_raw.jpg
    07-21-2014 08:56 AM
1,005 ... 56789 ...