Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but do you know what "lossless zoom" is? it's just normal digital zoom. They call it lossless because the zoomed-in picture is still at least 5 megapixels, but it's still nothing different from digital zoom. it's lossy, the sensor is at max capable of 20,7MP, I believe 19 if you shoot a square picture (the maximum area you can get with a rectangle in a circle).
When using "lossless" zoom, the pixel count will drop. it's simple as that, exporting the high-res image and cropping it on a pc delivers exactly the same result.

The 5 MP "lossless zoom" is indeed simply the cropping/reframing of the high resolution image to a maximum "digital zoom" where the crop would still be 5 MP from the 16/19 MP output. The pixel count will always drop, be lossy, if you use the 5 MP image. However, the 5 MP output with 1x to 1.9x zoom will have no loss in quality since it will always be 5 MP.

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
the sensor is at max capable of 20,7MP,

Just a small correction: 20mp.

It's Sony that has 20.7mp sensors. ;)

Also, the camera doesn't take 20mp pictures, it takes a 15 or 16mp picture and a 5mp one. So it's not even using the full capacity.

Honestly, I'd prefer if they did as Sony does and allow you to take and use photos at full resolution. So instead of 2 pictures, I would much prefer to have an option to let me chose if I want to take one 20mp/41mp picture and use that one or the two pictures scheme.
Or then, as Sony does, put that scheme into the automatic mode (or instead of a 5mp, put the sensor creating 8mp/9mp pictures on auto mode and then have the full 20/41 in manual settings).

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I also believe that the quality of photos taken in auto-mode really depends on the situation and may be sometimes better or worse compared to the competitors.
The true power of the Lumia 930 (as already for the Lumia 1520 and for sure for the Lumia 1020) is in the manual settings which forces us to get much deeper in understanding of photography techniques... I honestly haven't been into this so far, but I love to play around, try out and learn, asking more-skilled friends and try again... just using the auto-mode doesn't gives us the best results anytime...

here a small example using different exposure settings (first auto, second manual) - both pics taken nearly at the same time:
WP_20140715_20_22_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20140715_20_23_01_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

McDaddyMike

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I took this one with macro lens added to my Lumia 930 and zoomed a bit with changing composition tool in Nokia Camera. I'm quite happy with this phone, it makes great pics. :)

fotor_(2).jpg

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Resized to 800px wide, as the forum would not allow me to upload the larger images.

WP_20140709_13_03_49_Pro__highres - Resized to 800px.jpg

Lumia 930 (from hi-res image)

20140709_120434222_iOS - Resized to 800px.jpg

iPhone 5S

I took both photos from the same distance, give or take a "mm".

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Resized to 800px wide, as the forum would not allow me to upload the larger images.

View attachment 72185

Lumia 930 (from hi-res image)

View attachment 72186

iPhone 5S

I took both photos from the same distance, give or take a "mm".

930 is a clear winner in normal lightening. I've read numerous controversial threads where people say that iPhone 5S produces better pictures under normal lightening. I don't know why people say that. In fact when iPhone 5s was launched, I read a comparisions where even 925 happened to produce better pictures than 5S.

Apple did a great job with their cameras since iPhone 4s was launched, but compared to high end cameras of Lumia 920/925/1020/1520 and 930, which has OIS, iPhone camera stand less chance..

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The reason they reduced the size of sensors, was to compensate the thickness. 925 is thinnner than 930 and still it has bigger lense than 930.

Having a smaller f-number (larger aperture) doesn't necessarily mean physically bigger lens. The f-number is also (indirectly) related to the sensor size; therefore the exact same lens paired to a larger sensor will have a higher f-number (i.e. smaller aperture). I haven't worked out the numbers, but I think the 920/930 lens are physically of the equivalent size and therefore admit the same amount of light. The difference, though, is that the 930 sensor is larger, therefore the same amount of light is spread to a larger area (therefore lower intensity of light and appear less bright). Although the full-resolution pixel may appear more noisy (due to smaller pixel and lower intensity of light), but the oversampled result should be much better.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
930 is a clear winner in normal lightening. I've read numerous controversial threads where people say that iPhone 5S produces better pictures under normal lightening. I don't know why people say that. In fact when iPhone 5s was launched, I read a comparisions where even 925 happened to produce better pictures than 5S.

Apple did a great job with their cameras since iPhone 4s was launched, but compared to high end cameras of Lumia 920/925/1020/1520 and 930, which has OIS, iPhone camera stand less chance..

I think the photos are getting better. Looking at the pics they look to be different angles, however they were taken at the same distance, maybe the angle was off a little :/

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
OK guys,

So here is my low-light video test... tell me your opinion, preferred here, since I don't have G+ to respond on comments on YouTube:

Edit: Now with better audio on my ears... I think I will not be only one who will hear the mechanism when camera is trying to focus (at the end of video, shooting at street lights)

Edit: Sorry for some darker parts, I just wanted to prevent people ask me, if I am taking a video of them.

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
930 is a clear winner in normal lightening. I've read numerous controversial threads where people say that iPhone 5S produces better pictures under normal lightening. I don't know why people say that. In fact when iPhone 5s was launched, I read a comparisions where even 925 happened to produce better pictures than 5S. ..........

The thing is not so simple. The iPhone 5s is focused to the last upper pins. There the picture is clear. With L930 focusing is in the middle.
(To be clear, I'm not an Aple fan ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6