Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting clear shots in areas with cloud in my garden. Once I've taken the photo I go to view it. I then zoomed in thinking it'll be clear but it's not. 100 iso. 1/250 shutter. WB cloudy.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is it fair to say that as a 'just point and click' camera with default settings the results are kind of underwhelming (compared to ios or some androids) but when you get into the camera and tweak settings for either specific situations or tweak the settings to get what you want out of 'point and click' scenarios you can get some amazing pictures?

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Is it fair to say that as a 'just point and click' camera with default settings the results are kind of underwhelming (compared to ios or some androids) but when you get into the camera and tweak settings for either specific situations or tweak the settings to get what you want out of 'point and click' scenarios you can get some amazing pictures?
I'm finding this to be true. I can setup a point and click custom setting for indoor and outdoor using pro shot app or manually set it up on Nokia camera.

As I'm getting better at understanding the camera settings like ISO or shutter speed, I'm getting better pictures all the time.

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Still not impressed with the camera.. Here is another example indoors with natural light

http://1drv.ms/1jZvpA3
Sent from my RM-1045_1036 using Tapatalk

At such a close distance, perhaps the single most important factor is the focus. My suggestion is to manually tap the screen on where the cat's eyes are (well, you may want to choose the left eye which looks bigger). If the focus is on the ear or pillow, then it is very likely that the nose or the eye would be out-of-focus (i.e. less sharp). You will have the same problem even if you used a DSLR.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think its bad, to over sample an image to 5MP in order to get best picture. We don't want a 5MP crap, we want best image at 20MP resolution. So what Nokia recommends, that in order to get best picture, we should over sample it to 5MP, is not right.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think its bad, to over sample an image to 5MP in order to get best picture. We don't want a 5MP crap, we want best image at 20MP resolution. So what Nokia recommends, that in order to get best picture, we should over sample it to 5MP, is not right.

Well, at 20MP the 1520/930 has the highest number of pixels compared to any other camera in the market except the 1020. In good lighting condition, it means your images will have more details than, say an iPhone's 8MP image.

However, in lowlight, pixel size becomes an important factor. Although the 1520/930's sensor may be 40% larger than the iPhone 5S, but the pixel count is more than double. That means the pixel size for 1520/930 is smaller than the 5S. Therefore, the 1520/930's image will be noisier at pixel level compared to the 5S.

Oversampling is designed to remedy this. By combining 20MP into 5MP, the average pixel now becomes 4x larger with higher quality pixels and less noise. You have the best of both worlds - sharp detailed full-res images in good light, and higher quality oversampled images in lowlight.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
We should get best picture at 20MP resolution, instead of over sampling it to 5MP

20MP photos are not any better unless you view them from 4K monitor/TV. 5MP photos look better compared to full resolution photos. More closer to your monitors native resolution photos are the better those will look since less downscaling there is. Obviously you loose ability to zoom in to those photos. If i look same 5MP photo vs full sized photo from my computer screen, full sized photo is much softer compared to 5MP photo. You can't see any more details that your screen resolution is capable to show even if source photo is 100MP. Then there is how dense those pixels are in your monitor. That's why even crappy photos look great in your smart phone screen, since pixel density is so high and hides all imperfections.

Camera needs to have certain amount of pixels in first place to resolve those details and 13MP seems to be enough for 1920x1080 monitors. Then obviously if camera is not up to task those pixels doesn't count if photos look crap in first place like Xperia Z2 photos.

Nokia uses that oversampling to make photos look sharper and noise free without making photos look artificially sharp like Samsung camera photos which uses tons of sharpening filter. Nokia photos just look natural compared to any other phone. Iphone is second when it comes to naturall look but they can't match when it comes to details and sharpness. Without clever downsampling Nokia would have to use sharpening filters that would ruin natural look of photos. This way is much better than offering full sized photos without downsampling.

You can get full size photos out from phone but they are not better looking.
At 4:3 maximum is 19MP and 16:9 mode 16MP by the way.

Last edited:

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
RIGHT-CLICK, OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB for full size image...

WP_20140719_16_40_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20140719_16_40_31_Pro.jpg

zoomed.PNG

WP_20140719_16_41_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20140719_16_45_52_Pro.jpg

These were all taken using the Nokia Camera App. (5MP + 19MP) 4:3

First attempt using the camera and playing around with settings, I think I could have focussed better on one or two of these but I can try again.

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think my camera is faulty or is this all the 930 can do? Using NCPB @ 5mpx auto settings with focus light on Auto.

Dark
WP_20140720_01_02_17_Pro.jpg

Medium dark
WP_20140720_01_02_37_Pro.jpg

Bright fluorescent
WP_20140720_01_02_47_Pro.jpg

Bright fluorescentt
WP_20140720_01_02_53_Pro.jpg

Bright fluorescent
WP_20140720_01_03_03_Pro.jpg

Dark
WP_20140720_01_03_23_Pro.jpg

Extreme dark
WP_20140720_01_03_41_Pro.jpg

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it is. Nokia's cameras are awesome but they're not directed at the typical iPhone-user who just points and shoots. This has become true since the 1020. From there on, with this oversampling gimmicks and increase in megapixels from the 8mp of the 920, the Nokia Camera has become a tool that a professional handles better than a noob who just wants a point and shooter.
It's a risky choice but there you have it...

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it is. Nokia's cameras are awesome but they're not directed at the typical iPhone-user who just points and shoots. This has become true since the 1020. From there on, with this oversampling gimmicks and increase in megapixels from the 8mp of the 920, the Nokia Camera has become a tool that a professional handles better than a noob who just wants a point and shooter.
It's a risky choice but there you have it...

See my pics above, are you telling me by using the right settings and not needing a tripod I can get less grainy pictures? MY gfs 920 would have taken those dark ones as if it was day time

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I deleted the pics I will take more later. ProShots 10/19 mode took much better pictures but the focus assist light was still necessary. I couldn't upload 10mpx 5MB pics to the forums so I used Nokia cam instead. What's the best site to upload pics? I was using Flickr but linking to them got on my nerves.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12