Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

Mizmo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think its bad, to over sample an image to 5MP in order to get best picture. We don't want a 5MP crap, we want best image at 20MP resolution. So what Nokia recommends, that in order to get best picture, we should over sample it to 5MP, is not right.
I think you are wrong. the 5MP oversampled picture will ALWAYS be the best picture, even if your 20MP pictures have great quality. and more MP doesn't mean better quality, especially in small devices like smartphones. and thats why you use oversampling so you actually can make something useful with them and not only have a larger pictures which nobody needs. 5MP is more than enough for 99% of users. your Full HD screen can display 2MP, Ultra HD still only 4MP. so why do you need more? high MP are nice if you need to zoom in for whatever reason (which makes things bigger but look worse) or want to make posters out of it. and thats it.

George Jefferies

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
One of the first photos I've taken. Took it this morning with everything in auto.
14512040290_a086fd4309_o.jpg

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think my camera is faulty or is this all the 930 can do? Using NCPB @ 5mpx auto settings with focus light on Auto.

Seems completely legit for 930 auto setting shots. I have 1520 which have essentially same camera. I can't take any better photos with auto settings since that 2.4f aperture needs to bump ISO way too high to collect enough light. The trick is manually set ISO so low that OIS still can maintain camera steady. Sometimes it needs whole 1 second exposure time to collect enough light, but with some practise you know when to press shutter button and for shutter button i mean button that is on your screen , not psychical camera button since it automaticly causes phone to move and ruin photo. 1 sec exposures, free hands are possible :wink: I have never seen photo where auto settings would have gone slower than 1/3 sec. There is lot of room to improve your photos and you can easily half ISO value needed for your shots. If barely possible do not ever go over 800 ISO. At 400 ISO there is quite lot noise already but it also depens of scene how bad it will look. If there is lot of bright and extremely dark areas you can shoot relatively high ISO and it wont show that much.

But yes, that is all you can get on auto settings. 930 isn't low light camera how you all used to know 920 camera. But you can get equally good low light shots if you know how. I owned 920 and OIS were not that good on it compared to 1520/930. 920 is way easier to take good low light compared to 930. The lens on it is just so much faster. 930 is geared more to to daylight shot. It can do good in twilight shots too, but really low light not so much if you don't know what to do.

If 930 had same 2.0f aperture, low light photos would be beyond of this world when it comes to smartphone photography.

Here is sample to give you all some courage to use manual settings for low light shots.

Auto settings: ISO 2500 - 1/4s
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...ezZk6GmAw/WP_20140720_16_47_24_Pro.jpg?psid=1

Manual settings ISO 400 - 1.55s
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...RhyWp_dk0/WP_20140720_16_48_29_Pro.jpg?psid=1

This how dark scene were in reality
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...Av3aLKlD0/WP_20140720_16_41_43_Pro.jpg?psid=1

I was suprised that how easy it was to take that 1.55s shot and i only needed one try. Be brave and try it out yourself.

Just to test out i tried what that build in night mode does. It half's ISO used compared to full auto and uses slower shutter speed instead.
https://qnrheq.dm2302.livefilestore...daBWJHTe4/WP_20140720_17_12_37_Pro.jpg?psid=1 ISO 1250 - 0.56s compared to ISO 2500 - 1/4s @ full auto. If you don't wan't to fiddle with settings too much just use night mode in Nokia camera and quality of photos is greatly increased. Just remember that anything moving is severely blurred.

When i owned 920 i very rarely could get blur free shot slower than 1/8s speeds. Just to put comparison how much better OIS is in 930/1520. Half second shots are easy whit this camera.

This is the same reason why reviewers say it takes bad photos in low light. It really does take bad photos on auto settings. I can take low light photos where people would say that those are taken with DLRS. But all reviewers use always auto settings and results are what they are. This cameras best asset is extremely good OIS but no reviewer ever put it in good use.

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Low light comparison. No light in the room but light on in next room. Pretty dark.

Lumia 920
View attachment 72527

Lumia 930
View attachment 72528
:( Looks like I have to wait for next generation Lumia flagship. 930 is not even closer to 920, in terms of low light images. Where is the magic of Nokia Cyan, where Nokia has claimed, that Cyan is designed to take extremely good low light images.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
:( Looks like I have to wait for next generation Lumia flagship. 930 is not even closer to 920, in terms of low light images. Where is the magic of Nokia Cyan, where Nokia has claimed, that Cyan is designed to take extremely good low light images.

They chatted crap mate. Got me all excited. The 930 has a smaller aperture which means lets light gets in per snap which either means grainy images or long exposure times which means blurry images. The ONLY thing the 930 has against the 920 is a bigger screen. I hate the AMOLED it hurts my eyes. IPS LCD is superior. The low light performance is that of a 2009 phone, there are screen issues, heating issues and all sorts. 920 is better.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
See my pics above, are you telling me by using the right settings and not needing a tripod I can get less grainy pictures? MY gfs 920 would have taken those dark ones as if it was day time

No, the 930 is another problem: bad calibration. It sucks in low light. But then again, I think the entire 930 camera is inferior to the 920's. It's nowhere near "middle ground" between the 920 and the 1020 as WPCentral wrote. Yes, it takes awesome shots in day light. And you can do pretty cool stuff with it on manual. But the low light is terrible, no matter what settings you use.

This is the algorithms. The results I'm getting with the 930 are the same that I got with the Xperia Z1 when it first came out. Pixelization, tons of noise...
Sony was pretty quick fixing the issue and they had a firmware update rolled out in less than a month. I'm afraid we won't get the same quickness from Microsoft though...if it gets fixed with GDR1 it will already be a miracle.

kelumnk

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I have problems in taking photos when there is contrasting light.
For example, if there is an open window in the roon which bringsi n light, the lumia 930 struggles to take images properly.
My friends S5 is great in this regard.
Can someone ls help with what settings to use in these situations?

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have problems in taking photos when there is contrasting light.
For example, if there is an open window in the roon which bringsi n light, the lumia 930 struggles to take images properly.
My friends S5 is great in this regard.
Can someone ls help with what settings to use in these situations?

I assume the problem is that your main subject comes out too dark. You have 3 options:

1. Use the flash. This is often the best solution when dealing with backlight scenarios.

2. Increase the exposure level (i.e. that last icon on Nokia Camera with the +/- sign) until your subject is bright enough. This may result in the bright part of the image to be burnt out.

3. Take the picture as it is. Then edit the picture (using the default Nokia Creative Studio or other apps) to increase brightness in shadow areas.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for my ignorance.
This is my first windows phone (after returning my 1520 after 2 days due to sum card holder fault)
Did you use auto settings?
Was this the windows phone camera app or the nokia camera app?
Lastly do you feel it would be beneficial to have an app like pro shot?

Thanks a lot in advance..

I know you were not asking me but...

Both the Nokia Camera and ProShot are apps aimed towards photography enthusiasts, it really makes no sense in using it if you don't know what they are capable of or don't want to get technical on your smartphone, is better to stick to the native camera app since it is much faster and capable of decent shots.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Seems completely legit for 930 auto setting shots. I have 1520 which have essentially same camera. I can't take any better photos with auto settings since that 2.4f aperture needs to bump ISO way too high to collect enough light. The trick is manually set ISO so low that OIS still can maintain camera steady. Sometimes it needs whole 1 second exposure time to collect enough light, but with some practise you know when to press shutter button and for shutter button i mean button that is on your screen , not psychical camera button since it automaticly causes phone to move and ruin photo. 1 sec exposures, free hands are possible :wink: I have never seen photo where auto settings would have gone slower than 1/3 sec. There is lot of room to improve your photos and you can easily half ISO value needed for your shots. If barely possible do not ever go over 800 ISO. At 400 ISO there is quite lot noise already but it also depens of scene how bad it will look. If there is lot of bright and extremely dark areas you can shoot relatively high ISO and it wont show that much.

But yes, that is all you can get on auto settings. 930 isn't low light camera how you all used to know 920 camera. But you can get equally good low light shots if you know how. I owned 920 and OIS were not that good on it compared to 1520/930. 920 is way easier to take good low light compared to 930. The lens on it is just so much faster. 930 is geared more to to daylight shot. It can do good in twilight shots too, but really low light not so much if you don't know what to do.

If 930 had same 2.0f aperture, low light photos would be beyond of this world when it comes to smartphone photography.

Here is sample to give you all some courage to use manual settings for low light shots.

Auto settings: ISO 2500 - 1/4s
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...ezZk6GmAw/WP_20140720_16_47_24_Pro.jpg?psid=1

Manual settings ISO 400 - 1.55s
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...RhyWp_dk0/WP_20140720_16_48_29_Pro.jpg?psid=1

This how dark scene were in reality
https://mavtgw.dm2302.livefilestore...Av3aLKlD0/WP_20140720_16_41_43_Pro.jpg?psid=1

I was suprised that how easy it was to take that 1.55s shot and i only needed one try. Be brave and try it out yourself.

Just to test out i tried what that build in night mode does. It half's ISO used compared to full auto and uses slower shutter speed instead.
https://qnrheq.dm2302.livefilestore...daBWJHTe4/WP_20140720_17_12_37_Pro.jpg?psid=1 ISO 1250 - 0.56s compared to ISO 2500 - 1/4s @ full auto. If you don't wan't to fiddle with settings too much just use night mode in Nokia camera and quality of photos is greatly increased. Just remember that anything moving is severely blurred.

When i owned 920 i very rarely could get blur free shot slower than 1/8s speeds. Just to put comparison how much better OIS is in 930/1520. Half second shots are easy whit this camera.

This is the same reason why reviewers say it takes bad photos in low light. It really does take bad photos on auto settings. I can take low light photos where people would say that those are taken with DLRS. But all reviewers use always auto settings and results are what they are. This cameras best asset is extremely good OIS but no reviewer ever put it in good use.

HEY KIDS, THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, TAKE NOTE!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agree with you dude, people on this thread like to assume as fast as possible that the 930's camera sucks, as you pointed out the 920 and 930 work different, the answer for is the 930 capable of great pictures? is a little more complex than saying "it sucks"...

I don't see people praising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.

Last edited:

kelumnk

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I cannot find night mode in nOkia camera app.
But there is a night mode in the other camera app.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
HEY KIDS, THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, TAKE NOTE!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agree with you dude, people on this thread like to assume as fast as possible that the 930's camera sucks, as you pointed out the 920 and 930 work different, the answer for is the 930 capable of great pictures? is a little more complex than saying "it sucks"...

I don't see people prising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.

Nijaz Turdaliev

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I don't see people prising the pics from Nijaz that clearly show the power of the 930+ cyan.
Totally agree. With manual control, camera takes very good photos.
Lumia 930
WP_20140720_23_15_14_Pro (2) 1.jpg

Lumia 920
wp_20140720_23_25_45_pro.jpg

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The end result people are getting isn't related with anything but poor calibration of the camera algorithms. I can take awesome shots with the 930 as long as the light is somewhat good. If it gets a bit darker, the pixels kick in. Is the same problem with the image in the camera when you're viewing.
All that noise and pixelling are avoidable as Sony had proven with the Z1 release. It's shameful that it seems the former- Nokia imaging team is going backwards as Sony's moves forward. But then again, under Microsoft anything is possible...

By the way, Lumia Cyan is nothing special. I think we were better served with Black.

(ps - I only shoot in Manual mode)

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I cannot find night mode in nOkia camera app.
But there is a night mode in the other camera app.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

There are two modes on the Nokia Camera App, pro and auto, on pro mode there are no presets, on auto mode you can select presets (like on a compact digital camera) for modes like sports, night, portrait, etc.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The end result people are getting isn't related with anything but poor calibration of the camera algorithms. I can take awesome shots with the 930 as long as the light is somewhat good. If it gets a bit darker, the pixels kick in. Is the same problem with the image in the camera when you're viewing.
All that noise and pixelling are avoidable as Sony had proven with the Z1 release. It's shameful that it seems the former- Nokia imaging team is going backwards as Sony's moves forward. But then again, under Microsoft anything is possible...

By the way, Lumia Cyan is nothing special. I think we were better served with Black.

(ps - I only shoot in Manual mode)

Can't tell if you are right or wrong because I don't have a 930 just yet but from pictures I have seen in this thread I can tell you that they (finally) removed the fugly yellow-ish tone to the pictures, It is present on the "pictures taken with your Lumia Icon" thread but here is non existent, from my point of view Amber algorithms were better even with the softness, I'm really looking forward to see the improvements on my 920. And by the way, most of the times I have to do some Adobe PS correction over my pics runing Black firmware, that was not the case runing Amber.

kelumnk

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Are these 2 different apps, or do you find pro and auto mode in same app?

Thanks
There are two modes on the Nokia Camera App, pro and auto, on pro mode there are no presets, on auto mode you can select presets (like on a compact digital camera) for modes like sports, night, portrait, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion