Pics and Videos taken with your Lumia 930!

Mr.NK

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Again stunned, what i could get out of the DNG with Lightroom - the original picture had dull colors and contrast.

unbenannt-001.jpg

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Meet and greet....
987669083d262ae4adcaabf0d691e8f1.jpg

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Again stunned, what i could get out of the DNG with Lightroom - the original picture had dull colors and contrast.

View attachment 85971

I agree. It's amazing how much detail you can get out of the picture with "raw" when using Lightroom/photoshop. Done some comparison with clouds editing with and without raw and it's pretty big in my opinion

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Lumia 930. I've seen that these RAW / DNG images take 20MB space, and we can't open it in PC. Can someone tell me the ISO settings to get best pictures at

1) Indoor area.
2) Evening snaps
3) Complete low light pics with and without flash

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Lumia 930. I've seen that these RAW / DNG images take 20MB space, and we can't open it in PC. Can someone tell me the ISO settings to get best pictures at

1) Indoor area.
2) Evening snaps
3) Complete low light pics with and without flash

Well I'm no expert in this put I will put my thoughts into this. For the DNG pictures, that is something you should never use if you are not thinking of editing the picture in photohop/lightroom etc. The only time I use DNG if i'm going to photoshop the picture and get greater details out of it. DNG without editing usually has more noise/grain in them than JPEG when they are not edited so stick to the other format .Having the DNG RAW format is awesome and can give you amazing images if you give yourself time to edit them.

1) Depends if it's dark I usually go lazy and just use the flash and I have gotten great results just with that. otherwise if you want to play with the iso I would recomend that you don't go over 100, the higher the iso is the more grainy/noise it will get. But still you can always go higher but that is just my personal opinion.

2) Same as before Iso 100/200 works usually just fine. Usually in the evening I don't even play with the iso and just have it on auto. Just play with the manual focus instead .

3) Now this is the tricky part so you are saying complete "low light" so I am assuming night shots? First don't ever use flash if you are outside in the dark and trying to take pictures . As for the Lumia930 the auto iso settings are very bad and very wrong ,it goes as high as iso1600 which is abs crazy(hopefully it will get fixed with Denim). The good news is that we have manual ctrl. So it all comes down to the what iso you are using and shutter speed.
WP_20141017_19_20_14_Raw__highres.jpg

As for this picture which is nothing amazing about but I can tell that this was iso 100 and shutter 2s. My advice is just to start with iso-100 and play with the shutter speed like 0.5 - 2sec(hold still!!) if you feel it's to dark just move the iso up but it will lower the quality of the image. Low light shots can be tricky not only with smartphones but also with Dslr . Just go out and take alot of pictures and practice as soon you get a hang of it ,you will be able to take great low light shots! Good luck!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm no expert in this put I will put my thoughts into this. For the DNG pictures, that is something you should never use if you are not thinking of editing the picture in photohop/lightroom etc. The only time I use DNG if i'm going to photoshop the picture and get greater details out of it. DNG without editing usually has more noise/grain in them than JPEG when they are not edited so stick to the other format .Having the DNG RAW format is awesome and can give you amazing images if you give yourself time to edit them.

1) Depends if it's dark I usually go lazy and just use the flash and I have gotten great results just with that. otherwise if you want to play with the iso I would recomend that you don't go over 100, the higher the iso is the more grainy/noise it will get. But still you can always go higher but that is just my personal opinion.

2) Same as before Iso 100/200 works usually just fine. Usually in the evening I don't even play with the iso and just have it on auto. Just play with the manual focus instead .

3) Now this is the tricky part so you are saying complete "low light" so I am assuming night shots? First don't ever use flash if you are outside in the dark and trying to take pictures . As for the Lumia930 the auto iso settings are very bad and very wrong ,it goes as high as iso1600 which is abs crazy(hopefully it will get fixed with Denim). The good news is that we have manual ctrl. So it all comes down to the what iso you are using and shutter speed.
View attachment 86451

As for this picture which is nothing amazing about but I can tell that this was iso 100 and shutter 2s. My advice is just to start with iso-100 and play with the shutter speed like 0.5 - 2sec(hold still!!) if you feel it's to dark just move the iso up but it will lower the quality of the image. Low light shots can be tricky not only with smartphones but also with Dslr . Just go out and take alot of pictures and practice as soon you get a hang of it ,you will be able to take great low light shots! Good luck!

Thank you for the tips. I recently upgraded from Lumia 920. Which takes excellent low light images at default setting because of bigger lens and aperture. Earlier I thought that 930 having smaller aperture and smaller lens, when compared to 920, doesn't even comes closer in terms of low light and night time pics. Then people in this forum suggested that changing the ISO settings can get the desired results. I don't expect my 930 to generate low light images comparable to a DSLR. But I want it to be as good as the low light pics of 920, in terms of details and sharpness

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the tips. I recently upgraded from Lumia 920. Which takes excellent low light images at default setting because of bigger lens and aperture. Earlier I thought that 930 having smaller aperture and smaller lens, when compared to 920, doesn't even comes closer in terms of low light and night time pics. Then people in this forum suggested that changing the ISO settings can get the desired results. I don't expect my 930 to generate low light images comparable to a DSLR. But I want it to be as good as the low light pics of 920, in terms of details and sharpness

Same here I come from the king of low light photos 920. But I can tell you though 920 beats 930 in auto mode ,you can get much better and sharpher images with the 930 using manual settings than ever 920. But given that I'm really hoping they will tweak the camera for low light with Denim so auto mode can be reliable with he 930!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here I come from the king of low light photos 920. But I can tell you though 920 beats 930 in auto mode ,you can get much better and sharpher images with the 930 using manual settings than ever 920. But given that I'm really hoping they will tweak the camera for low light with Denim so auto mode can be reliable with he 930!

Can you provide me those settings for Lumia 930?

damianar1984

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I tested the 920 (with auto) and the 930 (with auto) and then i tested both with ISO 100 and EV 1,3 Sek and 1,0 Sek:

920 (with auto - no Flash)
WP_20141104_18_45_36_Pro.jpg

920 (ISO 100, EV 1 Sek. manual Focus)
WP_20141104_18_47_05_Pro.jpg

930 (with auto - no Flash)
WP_20141104_18_48_00_Raw.jpg

930 (ISO 100, EV 1 Sek. manual Focus)
WP_20141104_18_51_27_Raw.jpg

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Can you provide me those settings for Lumia 930?

unfortunately there is no magical settings with lowlight/nightshots pictures as it depends on how much dark and street lights there are around you etc. Just as I said a good thumb rule is to start always with iso-100 and shutter maybe 0 - 2s something like that. If you feel like it's to dark then just move the iso up. Just remember to have the flash off, everything else on auto.

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I tested the 920 (with auto) and the 930 (with auto) and then i tested both with ISO 100 and EV 1,3 Sek and 1,0 Sek:

920 (with auto - no Flash)
View attachment 86559

920 (ISO 100, EV 1 Sek. manual Focus)
View attachment 86560

930 (with auto - no Flash)
View attachment 86561

930 (ISO 100, EV 1 Sek. manual Focus)
View attachment 86562

Great comparison there. Night shots with 930 are so broken in auto mode . As for the manual mode the 930 picture is clearer looking at the buildings. Otherwise we need Denim so automode can be useful ^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss