Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

Advis

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that the poly carbonate back cover is lifting in the corner where the phone gets hot. It now sits a couple of mm above the ally frame. I can push it back down again, so it's definitely worked loose. I may return for a replacement handset as this is not on. Anyone else got the same problem?

I'd say for certain you have a defective phone and need a replacement or repair. Sounds like the glue hasn't set properly in production.

I have a problem with an App called Line. It will not download and is stuck in the download queue with the status "attention required". The error code is 80070539 which I cannot find reference to anything other than Windows Update error codes. If I cancel the download it tries again about 24 hours later. I cannot uninstall it anywhere else in the system. Restarting the phone doesn't help.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed my screen is slightly raised at the bottom right corner. Sits flush to the aluminum frame everywhere else.
My other gripes are os related.:
Music live tile doesn't seem to work.
Some websites not working in explorer.
Battery life not been great but I am only on my fourth charge so will give it a bit more time.
Learning curve in the camera will put some off who have been used to pick up and shoot, but great pics are really possible. It's miles better than my HTC one x.
Why can't I choose to upload all media via my data connection, videos and high quality pics are limited to WiFi only.
Would love to be able to add more quick options to the notification area, 4 doesn't seem like enough.

Still learning with the os but loving it so far and the package as a whole is fantastic. I would recommend this phone in a heart beat.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is my first PureView, and i can only compare to iPhone 5S. I am very doubtful over my future with the 930, i need to do a couple more tests. but i am close to sending back for a full refund.

Yeah this is not representative of PureView at all.
However, I would never exchange it for an iPhone. BUT I hate Apple, so there's also that.
But if Sony releases the Z3 Compact with 32GB of internal storage or with their latest firmware update to KitKat that returns the ability to save apps to the SD card....the 930 will only last as my daily driver until the Z3C is out.
(This because the rumours about Sony's WP are clearly just rumours without any base on reality)

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
However, I would never exchange it for an iPhone. BUT I hate Apple, so there's also that.
But if Sony releases the Z3 Compact with 32GB of internal storage or with their latest firmware update to KitKat that returns the ability to save apps to the SD card....the 930 will only last as my daily driver until the Z3C is out.
(This because the rumours about Sony's WP are clearly just rumours without any base on reality)

haha you're opposite to me, I cant stand android. The Z3 sounds nice. But I'm looking more towards iphone 6. At least until WP can produce a killer device.

I really had high hopes for the 930, really wanted it to be my main device. Apart from heat, camera, and purpleness the device is near perfect!

Updated images are on the photo thread :)

Windows Moan

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

I can't comment on recent Sony build quality but the Z2 (I think) was real cheap feeling - it didn't feel like a high end device worthy of the price tag - although, by all accounts, it was quite good 'operationally' and definitely had a good screen!! I don't know if I could go back to andriod..

I want to love the 930 ;-(

Do we speculate/agree it's a hardware issue for the 930 screen?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't comment on recent Sony build quality but the Z2 (I think) was real cheap feeling - it didn't feel like a high end device worthy of the price tag - although, by all accounts, it was quite good 'operationally' and definitely had a good screen!! I don't know if I could go back to andriod..

I want to love the 930 ;-(

Do we speculate/agree it's a hardware issue for the 930 screen?

It was probably the Z1 you tried. And I'll tell you why you got that feeling: anti-shatter films.
Until the Z2, Sony placed annoying anti-shatter films over the dragon glass of the phone. Because of that, the phones always felt more plastic-y than they actually where. Once you remove those awful things (from the Z2 onwards) the phone felt a lot more premium on the hand with only the metal and the glass.

And no, it's most definitely NOT a hardware issue of the 930 screen. Well, some people may have some other issues with the screen, but all the problems related to the purple tint and poor low light imaging results are all on the software side.

Felix Blake

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if its just me or what but, I've noticed the screen flicker a lot when loading white screen pages etc but I've noticed this on dark screens too, it's like the refresh lines you see when you point a camera at an old monitor but not as bad.

I haven't experienced any heat problems, sure it gets warm but that's when I'm taking pictures or heavy tasks. On the picture note, coming from an iPhone 5 the front camera is so bad along with the purple/blue tint and the rear camera isn't much better.
I've had this since Thursday and I really like the phone but just a few niggles. I'm also in firmware ending .51001

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia only over heats (it heats up a lot but not too much to disrupt any functions) while I am using navigation apps for any considerable period of time, say more than an hour or so. Other than that, it does not heat up with data consumption activities as such.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
just found one: while scrolling the start screen here and there, suddenly the GUI zoomed as if I had activated a sort of magnify; clearly a bug as the GUI responded to touch input as the zoom was not there, so everything was cluttered. no way to zoom out until a soft reset.
I am surprised not many people have raised this issue. I have seen 4 or 5 lumias and ALL of them have this problem. Restarting the phone is the only option once this happens. Though the functions perform, but moving to any tile etc. becomes nearly impossible with such large icons

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I am surprised not many people have raised this issue. I have seen 4 or 5 lumias and ALL of them have this problem. Restarting the phone is the only option once this happens. Though the functions perform, but moving to any tile etc. becomes nearly impossible with such large icons

it's a magnifying glass for easy access, just double tap the screen with two fingers.

Aeons

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that the poly carbonate back cover is lifting in the corner where the phone gets hot. It now sits a couple of mm above the ally frame. I can push it back down again, so it's definitely worked loose. I may return for a replacement handset as this is not on. Anyone else got the same problem?

i have this exact same issue but mine is lifting on the other side were the speaker is. It's actually really annoying too because it makes a little click noise every time it moves.

Looks like i will return the phone tomorrow.

Felix Blake

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
i have this exact same issue but mine is lifting on the other side were the speaker is. It's actually really annoying too because it makes a little click noise every time it moves.

Looks like i will return the phone tomorrow.

So when people mentioned that it was on the left corner I checked it and is fine, Now that you mentioned it happening on the other side I just checked mine again and its the same. Lifting a little on the corner and you can "click" it back into place but comes straight back out.

Edit: However, its not so bad right now, I may leave it until next week before I decide to get an exchange under the 14 day return policy.

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the back cover: I don't have that issue. However, it should be noted that the back cover IS easily removable. If you have a suction cup you can replace it yourselves. What that means is that, one of the hinges that holds it may have broken during transport. It's easily repairable though, you shouldn't need (and probably won't get) a new phone, they'll just replace the back cover.

iwang

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine bought last week in Thailand and used in Jakarta indonesia. It heats up when in use no matter how i change the setting.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Exchanged my handset yesterday for a new one due to the back cover lifting. Oddly, the new handset doesn't get hot, so maybe i'm on to a winner this time!

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Exchanged my handset yesterday for a new one due to the back cover lifting. Oddly, the new handset doesn't get hot, so maybe i'm on to a winner this time!

Fingers crossed mate, i am just sending my one back. I cant have the risk of an overheating device as it will damage it in the long run. Real shame this has all these issues, it could of been a winner otherwise.

It does seem this device, and it launch were hindered by the MSFT acquisition of Nokia. Maybe future devices wont be as bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077