Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

Wouter Duerinck

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't anyone have issues with playing music? I use Xbox Music (is there a better alternative?) and it's already the 3rd time that suddenly the music stops playing in the middle of an album. If I then try to play another song, it opens it but doesn't start playing (although the pause button is shown). Nothing that I do can restart playing music.

If I then go to the Youtube website, a music video starts but without sound. So it seems a bug with the sound driver *sigh*

A restart fixes it but that's not how it should be of course.

EDIT: just see the article of yesterday about alternative: MusikPlayer

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't anyone have issues with playing music? I use Xbox Music (is there a better alternative?) and it's already the 3rd time that suddenly the music stops playing in the middle of an album. If I then try to play another song, it opens it but doesn't start playing (although the pause button is shown). Nothing that I do can restart playing music.

If I then go to the Youtube website, a music video starts but without sound. So it seems a bug with the sound driver *sigh*

A restart fixes it but that's not how it should be of course.

EDIT: just see the article of yesterday about alternative: MusikPlayer

I have noticed this on MixRadio too. It gets annoying but it does not do it all the time.

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

When a sound (or music) is played, when it's finished, after about 5 sec of silence, I can hear a noise (a kind of "clac") as if the speaker was "turned off".

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
All Nokias do that :-/
Yes, now I remember my 925 making that too; but less loud.

Try adjusting the volume of medias on 25-30. Then for example start What's App (I think the app uses something related to sound). Then close the app and wait ~ 5 sec. the "claac!" on the speaker will be awful :-( I never had that on the 925.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed my screen gets the purple hue but only at low brightness settings. It's most noticeable when I'm on auto in a dark room where it goes darker than the "low" setting. Because of this I think it's a software issue and I hope Microsoft fixes this soon.

Yup, also noticed that. I seldom use the phone with less than "medium" brightness, but when I got to the brightness profile and started adjusting the settings, the purple thing did become noticeable.
It's definitely a software problem, though, and I hope Microsoft is quick to fix it. Nothing generates worth word-of-mouth than unresolved old problems.

Also, the viewing quality on the camera should be improved. It can get really grainy. The photos come out great, so it's not a problem with the sensor, but really with the quality of the image in the apps when using the camera in certain ambiences. It depends on the scenery, I've noticed. Probably not that well optimized for full-HD screens.

But so far these are my only complains (well, and the lack of a only 2 columns option). The buttons are a bit too soft but I quite like the fastness of the camera and the fact that you just need to keep the camera button pressed to send Nokia Camera Beta into burst mode. Which is really nice along with the continuous focus.
I haven't dwelled too much into the phone though, since I'm expecting to have its software changed by "Nokia" on Friday. Also curious to see if the other software version corrects that.
At any rate, I wasn't expecting the phone to blow my mind anyway.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed the purple hue more, but only on the lock screen and when using the front camera mainly. Wonder if Nokia in Denmark is getting anywhere with their investigations.

dronie

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've just noticed another issue about display update.
Besides of purple hue, the update also ruins low brightness feature in battary saver mode.
Now it basiclly doesn't work on my phone, no matter if that option is activated in "display" menu, or not.
Can anyone confirm same problem?

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
A german reseller: Notebook PC Shop - Notebooks & Laptops günstig bei notebooksbilliger.de

I even got my UPS next-day-before-12am-delivery costs back :O

For now my 920 is enough for me. I really wanted the 930 to be a good device, but the display is just killing it for me :/
I hope MS can fix at least some issues via update in the very near future. And maybe they will provide a better OLED in a later hardware revision of the device, although that is very unlikely.
Only then I will reconsider to buy the device. Maybe then the McLaren is out =P

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have purple problems as well, but also when brightness is on highest settings the bottom part of screen (lower part of keyboard for example) is MUCH brighter.

Also my phone is on 2G (edge) signal 90% of the time, while other people around me who are with the same operator always have H or H+. With different phones, of course. Does anyone else have signal problems? I need to know if it's a firmware or hardware problem so I can act accordingly.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
To your brightness problem:

A german site called areamobile.de tested the device and they observed the same: "In the lower third of the screen we measured about 320 Candela, in the upper only about 290 Candela."
Source (german): Nokia Lumia 930 Test: Der Paradiesvogel unter den Top-Smartphones | areamobile.de

This is a picture of the viewing angles they made in the test:
http://www.areamobile.de/assets/handies/nokia/lumia-930/display-vergleich-lumia-930.jpg

Interesting to see is that there is no blue tint like I had with my device. I tested another device in a store which got the same blue tint.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb