Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Nokia Lumia 930 and I have 5 complaints. All seem to be manufacturing defects. I'm a previous user of Lumia 920 and I upgraded my phone to Lumia 930 just yesterday. So I'm pretty sure they are defect. Here is what I'm facing:
1- My phone gets really hot from the bottom right corner while just holding it and using it very mildly. Simple tasks such as changing the settings on the phone would make the phone annoyingly hot.
2- Gray colors appear as purple hue in a dim environment when I have my phone on the lowest brightness setting.
3- Another issue with the screen is that similarly in dim surroundings and with brightness settings set at low, white screens (such as the one when opening a new tab in internet Explorer) tend to inconstantly flash making the screen look like it is getting insufficient power to fully maintain a white color screen.
4- The last issue I faced was when calling someone in dark/dim environments, the screens fades to black thinking that I'm holding my phone next to my ear. After it dims out it totally shuts down and won't allow me to interact with the screen. So I can't cut the line, I can't access and other functions in the OS. Other than the unresponsive black screen, from time to time the screen would stop responding to my actions. Such as pressing on a toast notification in the lock screen.
5- Battery drains pretty quick. I unplug the phone after charging it to 100%, and go the settings to tweak some stuff only to find out the 5 minutes later I'm down to 97 or maybe even 96%.

Get it replaced.

Problem 1 is not normal if it gets hot while doing little tasks.
Problem 2 has been reported endlessly, it's common to all 930's. It's Microsoft's fault on the software side as they didn't properly calibrated it.
Problem 3 is probably a consequence of problem 2.
Problem 4 may have to do with the proximity sensors. At any rate, that shouldn't happen.
Problem 5 I also had. The battery drained fast as hell. My 920's battery lasted the same when not more.

I can't add much more since I've taken my 930 to a Nokia Care and I will only get it back in 2-3 weeks.

ladyruri

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
anyone have any issues with the phone lagging/stalling/freezing when unlocking your screen to go to your main tile screen?
like i would close my apps, turn off the screen and place it in my pocket
i notice my phone heats up, take it out of my pocket, i hit the power button, unlock it and all i get is "......." like it is loading something and takes like 15-20 secs before showing my main screen
every time this happens, i notice a huge loss of battery %

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
anyone have any issues with the phone lagging/stalling/freezing when unlocking your screen to go to your main tile screen?
like i would close my apps, turn off the screen and place it in my pocket
i notice my phone heats up, take it out of my pocket, i hit the power button, unlock it and all i get is "......." like it is loading something and takes like 15-20 secs before showing my main screen
every time this happens, i notice a huge loss of battery %

I didn't had that on the 930.
However my 920 has gained an irritating habit of now sending me to the bloody "resuming..." screen before the lockscreen is up. It doesn't drain battery though.

ladyruri

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't had that on the 930.
However my 920 has gained an irritating habit of now sending me to the bloody "resuming..." screen before the lockscreen is up. It doesn't drain battery though.

actually that is what I am having with my L930
every so often when I hit the power button and unlock the screen, I get the "resuming..." and loads for 15-20 sec before taking me to my main screen and I have like absolutely no apps open at all and it drains a few % battery and heats up the phone

kelumnk

May 11, 2014
Visit site
having this resuming thing with my lumia 930 too..
what can we do, soft reset?
by the way, can i get it clear.. a soft reset is just you press power botton to off and then later on the phone again?

thanks

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've put mine on eBay. Unfortunately too many bugs for a supposed flagship that I'm used too. Never had any issues with my iPhone(s) so am a bit disappointed as I enjoyed WP8.1 even though it lacks apps that I use daily on iOS.

Maybe the rumoured HTC One M8 for windows phone might get me to look again but for now I'm back on the iphone and to be honest happy as I have zero problems.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
My wife has Green coloured frame all around her iPhone 5 lcd display so I can only conclude that no Phone is flawless. But 930 defects are indeed annoying!

I'm still not happy with my 930. It's irritating to have Windows Phone store set to manual apps update just to be careful not to update the display app. I wish they fix that already!

Other than that although my screen is very much black when it should be, in the high brightness and with outdoor readability I can still see it be darker in the middle. Specially on the gray background like keyboard. That's probably a real hardware defect for which I will need to send it for a repair again. And setup my phone from scratch all over again.

Other than that the camera quality I'd downright ****ty comparing to camera on 1020 which is a stupid comparison, but I did own a 920 briefly and I've got a feeling that 930 camera is worse than that on 920, except is sharper due to more megapixel. Very disappointed in the camera. Not Nokia at all!

Last thing is that after they replaced the antennas module on the back now my phone connects to 3G and 4G, but it loses network connectivity sometimes like a few times per day for no apparent reason. Just disconnects from GSM network and searches a few seconds for it again before reconnecting. I can't say it that could be a driver/software problem but its annoying.

ladyruri

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
so it seems when i flash my rom from HK variant to a EURO global variant and that seems to resolve almost every problem i have except for the slight green tint

DMorty

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. My 930 screen flickers when I'm connected to 2g. Its only happened a couple of times because I usually have good reception. I see this is a problem in Germany, but is anyone in the UK experiencing the same issue? Also, my back polycarbonate panel is slight raised by the camera button on either side, it doesn't sit flush with the metal band. Is this usual too?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
yeah, that's so disappointing...

No matter where it is, it will bother someone. The "old" place around the USB port is terrible when doing somethin in landscape mode.. which is often either gaming or watching a video, in both cases you probably want to hear something. I much prefer this location to my 920s speaker locations, and I dont even watch videos or game on my phone.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I asked myself the same question. It's a really really stupid decision. At least the sound is loud enough, otherwise every time I placed the phone on top of a surface to watch a video, it would just mute it.

Yup, you can't put it on a pillow, a sofa, or anything soft. I put my phone on my car seat and I can't hear shizzle.

Denzel Yu

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
not sure if really a defect or not so i'm asking you guys if it is or not

just bought a bnew L930, the volume key is less bumped compared to the lock and camera key and if you look at the keys sideways(phonewise and from camera to volume key),the volume key seems to tend to lean towards the left side.

anyone else experienced this?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I want to return my 930 and exchange it but are these good enough reasons? I'm worried they might say they are minor issues or not faults.

Red artefacts when moving the camera in the dark
Bottom side opposite to speaker slightly loose
Screen on same side slightly loose
When playing games, phone too hot to hold
Weird AMOLED effect in background which looks a bit like a liquid, in other words, the AMOLED is not plain colour when you scroll. Kind of like having a dirty screen but on the inside.

Camera still
wp_ss_20140731_0004.png

Camera moving
wp_ss_20140731_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster