Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Here's another bug *sigh*, when I go to settings and turn my brightness to automatic it will not save no matter what! So as soon as I leave the brightness settings and I go back to the brightness settings the "automatic" toggle will be turned of again... Super annoying...

VA2SS

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Same here, very annoying problem....��

If the phone screen stay off when you put away the phone when ending a call.... just put your finger on the proximity sensor for 1 or 2 seconds then remove it..... the phone display will be back to on again.... and you will be able to end the call properly.... a software issue that will be definitely solve in a later update.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm now going for the 6th week waiting for Microsoft to replace my defective 930. Yes, Microsoft still hasn't replaced it.
By the looks of it, when I get the new one it will be going straight to eBay because Sony is announcing the Z3Compact on the 3 September and I've already decided to switch after such an horrible customer service from Microsoft. Shame. I actually liked WP8.1.

sup3r1or

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Another bug I discovered. Plug normal headphones and switch on podcasts app and listen to any podcast. Then have someone send you txt message. Cortana will say txt received do you want me to read it or ignore it whole podcast is paused. Say ignore it, it will switch podcast back on BUT it will play on speakerphone and headphones at the same time.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
1) The lower right portion of my screen has lifted (right where it gets hot), which means it's about 1mm higher than the lower left. And the light from the capacitive buttons bleeds through at the bottom edge of the screen. A poster in another thread said it's the screen bonding agent.
2) my NL930 loses WiFi about once every few hours and I have to toggle it back on.

Looks like I'm returning it for a replacement.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Just looked at my week old black 930, it has the screen lifting in the bottom right corner, as well as the back cover lifting slightly around the camera button, and the same area on the opposite sit. The thing is when I push down on these areas the cover doesn't sit back down, it like something underneath is out of place and pushing it up. The phone works great, I am seeing the screen problems as many above have described, but not too noticeable, and no heat issues that are of concern. I'm running the 8.1.1 software and everything has been updated. It gets warm through use but every phone I've had has done similar.
I'll take it back to where I bought it and see what they'll do, hopefully they get another in as they only had this one and a white one. The other thing about getting a replacement is the risk of getting one that's worse off. Been caught out there in the past with iPhones. Seems to be common issues so high chances I could end up worse off. See how I go when I take it back.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Just looked at my week old black 930, it has the screen lifting in the bottom right corner, as well as the back cover lifting slightly around the camera button, and the same area on the opposite sit. The thing is when I push down on these areas the cover doesn't sit back down, it like something underneath is out of place and pushing it up. The phone works great, I am seeing the screen problems as many above have described, but not too noticeable, and no heat issues that are of concern. I'm running the 8.1.1 software and everything has been updated. It gets warm through use but every phone I've had has done similar.
I'll take it back to where I bought it and see what they'll do, hopefully they get another in as they only had this one and a white one. The other thing about getting a replacement is the risk of getting one that's worse off. Been caught out there in the past with iPhones. Seems to be common issues so high chances I could end up worse off. See how I go when I take it back.
I'm tempted to ask for a full refund and purchase directly from MSFT UK.
I rremember my friend telling me she went through 5 Lumia Icons until she got one with zero issues.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm tempted to ask for a full refund and purchase directly from MSFT UK.
I rremember my friend telling me she went through 5 Lumia Icons until she got one with zero issues.

I don't have a lot of choice, only one retailer in my area. I have to drive an hour (one way) to the next retailer. I haven't looked at Microsoaft AU so might do that. Other option is to take a refund and go back to my iPhone, but I'm liking WP so far and not that keen on going back to iOS for now, and I have an iPad so still get to use the OS there. It's a pain we get these defects, but it's not restricted to one brand or model, I've had problems with iPhones of every model I've owned since the 3G where a replacement was issued.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a lot of choice, only one retailer in my area. I have to drive an hour (one way) to the next retailer. I haven't looked at Microsoaft AU so might do that. Other option is to take a refund and go back to my iPhone, but I'm liking WP so far and not that keen on going back to iOS for now, and I have an iPad so still get to use the OS there. It's a pain we get these defects, but it's not restricted to one brand or model, I've had problems with iPhones of every model I've owned since the 3G where a replacement was issued.

I've never had a defect in a phone until now. Tablets? Oh, yes :(
I've also noticed my 930 screen is lifting above the usb port too.

My only issue with buying from MSFT is it'll cost me ?100 more :s

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
My only issue with buying from MSFT is it'll cost me ?100 more :s

That's something I forgot to take into account. I got my phone $130 off the sticker price at the retailer so probably not much choice for me, hope they have a fault free replacement, or take the refund and back to my iPhone until I find another 930, or something similar.

member2

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am having the proximity sensor issue, can anyone tell me for certain is this a bug or do I have faulty hardware?

When I make or receive a call the screen goes black as soon as the call connects and stays black until the other person ends the call. This is a pretty serious issue for a phone which has me thinking I might have faulty hardware as surely a software bug of this nature would need to be fixed with some urgency. The issue is a bit sporadic, but occurs more often than not. double clicking the power button can bring the screen back, but again, sometimes it takes a few attempts and the screen might flick back on for only a second.

Phone is a Lumia 930. I really don't want the hassle of having to send it for repair :-(

Thanks.

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I had (maybe still have) this problem but seems alot less when setting screen sensitivity to High. Might just be luck but changed it this morning and nit had the problem since

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, after a month of waiting I was finally directly contacted by Microsoft itself to solve the problem with my 930. However, Microsoft was NOT aware of the misaligned headphone jacks. They checked and several other units had the same misalignment. They also checked and my phone was NOT from the first batch to leave the factory. In fact, they changed the headphone jacks from the first to the second batch (and onwards).
This has been reported to Finland and we're waiting for an answer directly from the engineers.

So I'm requesting Lumia 930 owners, so that we can try and identify a pattern in the misaligned phones, to please either reply here (if possible with the build date of the phone) or to send me a PM, IF your phone has a misaligned headphone jack, so that I can report to Microsoft and they can report directly to MM's headquarters in Finland.
Apparently this misalignment wasn't a problem that have been triggered in the system in Europe yet and it may need to be.

On another note, I was also told that the fix for the Display app is arriving soon. There's a chance it may come with the Denim update, but they think it will be issued sooner. The update should also fix other display issues.

Marco Ciccone

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I am planning to but a L930. Do you think the battery will be enough for me? I use it for web browsing for 2 hours a day, plus 1 hour of social apps, messages (whatsapp and Skype) and 1 hour of music (local, not streaming). thanks

M

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
So I'm requesting Lumia 930 owners, so that we can try and identify a pattern in the misaligned phones, to please either reply here (if possible with the build date of the phone) or to send me a PM, IF your phone has a misaligned headphone jack, so that I can report to Microsoft and they can report directly to MM's headquarters in Finland.
Apparently this misalignment wasn't a problem that have been triggered in the system in Europe yet and it may need to be.

My 930 has a misaligned headphone jack, sitting off centre towards the back right of the phone. I have no trouble plugging headphones in though. Build creation date is 20/06/2014 and hardware revision number is 2.0.0.2.
I took my phone back about the rear cover lifting and they want to call Nokia Australia and find out if it's a common thing or a fault before deciding to replace it or not, so I may end up with a new phone in the next week or so.

rikycaldeira

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a small stutter on the animation everytime I go to the start screen, anyone else noticing this as well? It is really bothering me... A SD800 shouldn't do this, should it?

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the service manual (Can't post links yet, but it's here: smartphonefrance.info/Technique/NokiaLumia930/disassembly/disassembly.html) it seems where my back cover is lifting is in line with the bottom of the battery, about 1cm up from the camera button. The phone works fine, charges well and has no drain or heat issues so I'm not thinking the battery is swollen, maybe not fitted correctly. Pushing down on the cover it won't sit back down as it should, I can feel there's something under it stopping it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb