Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

member2

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I had (maybe still have) this problem but seems alot less when setting screen sensitivity to High. Might just be luck but changed it this morning and nit had the problem since
It is a bit erratic and the problem comes and goes. I haven't been able to spot a pattern. I think I can see a very slight lift in the screen on the upper right corner (near the proximity sensor) and I thought for a while if a squeeze the top corner the problem went away temporarily. But now I'm not so sure.

I see other forums discussing it and people say sending it for repair fixed the problem. Looks like I'll have to send it back.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm really frustrated with the Lumia 930. I replaced the first one because the screen was darker on the bottom. (The seller didn't want to replace, he said he didn't see it, even though everyone I showed the phone noticed it).
The first one had the purple tint, but I managed to fix it with the display app.
Now, the second one has the purple tint and even setting the tone to green it still has a purple tint, it's not as purple as the default setting, but it's still purple in low and medium brightness.

Another problem I have with the second unit is with the touch on the top of the screen, I often have to to swipe two, three or four times to open the notification panel. It's specially bad in the top right corner of the screen.
I've read every post here and only one other person complained about this problem.

And the speaker is crappier than the 820's, the sound quality is worse, it seems that the back vibrates with the speaker and the sound gets saturated, I don't know exactly how to explain, but everytime I get a notification, a little part of me dies inside. hahaahhah

Now, I can't replace it again, here in Brazil it's very complicated to get a replacement, sellers don't trust you or claim that your device is perfect. Specially if you didn't buy the phone at an official Nokia store, which was my case.

It's an expensive device, it shouldn't have these issues. And a lot of the issues it has, older devices don't have.
My Lumia 820 works beautifully, the colors are perfect, the screen light is consistent, the touch is perfect, the sound is perfect.

The build date of my device is August 8th, and it has the same problems of the earlier devices.
I don't get how Nokia can release a device that is basically the Icon and has the same problems that were already fixed on the Icon.

Stu Malin

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
It is a bit erratic and the problem comes and goes. I haven't been able to spot a pattern. I think I can see a very slight lift in the screen on the upper right corner (near the proximity sensor) and I thought for a while if a squeeze the top corner the problem went away temporarily. But now I'm not so sure.

I see other forums discussing it and people say sending it for repair fixed the problem. Looks like I'll have to send it back.

First, try disabling Auto Brightness. Did that a few hours ago and even though screen is out a little, double tap to wake is working and screen going dark during calls seems to have stopped. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I was planning to buy a Lumia 930 but after reading about the issues with the overheating and display I am not sure what to do.

myself11

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 930 since last week and the screen has 3 issues: a permanent purple botch on the left bottom corner; a red vertical line which was visible for 4 days and today unexplainable disappeared; a green vertical line which only appears some times. I just wish the vertical lines were permanent so I could send the phone to warranty without hassle.

IMG_20140906_201650.jpg

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
After two months I finally got approval to replace the screen. I will get it on Wednesday and write here if the new screen is any better.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a 930 since last week and the screen has 3 issues: a permanent purple botch on the left bottom corner; a red vertical line which was visible for 4 days and today unexplainable disappeared; a green vertical line which only appears some times. I just wish the vertical lines were permanent so I could send the phone to warranty without hassle.

View attachment 80100

1 - The purple tint is a problem with the display app. According to Microsoft an update is forthcoming and should be released very soon. However, this is Microsoft. Their "soon" could take some months.

2 - Both those lines aren't normal. You can take the phone to a Care Centre with those photos and explain. They'll see what's wrong with it and test the device.

myself11

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Mine hasn't purple tint, has an uniformity issue: the upper and right part and right is white, while in the lower left there's a purple area. I don't think that's software's fault.

Regarding the lines, I've thought of taking a picture with the IMEI on background, but they can always say I photoshopped it...

ZvjerOPC, what was wrong with your screen?

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I live in Brazil, the HTC One will probably never get here officially and legally.
I like the Nokia stuff too, but I feel that Nokia did a really poor job with the Lumia 930, and it's a really expensive phone.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
One issue I'm having that is the most annoying. The top right corner of the screen isn't detecting touch correctly. I often have to swipe 2-3 times to open the notification center.
I read someone here had the same problem, but I haven't seen other people complaining about this.
I wonder if it could be just a software calibration problem or if it's hardware.

And I have the misaligned headphone jack and camera. My phone is Brazilian. My Build creation date is 08/12/2014 and my hardware revision is 2.0.0.2.
I don't think there is a pattern for these issues, I think it's a result of lousy hardware design and poor choice of parts.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
ZvjerOPC, what was wrong with your screen?
On the black background middle of screen is much darker than surrounding edges, specially bottom part. Uneven colour is one thing while black screen not being black on amoled screen is absolutely ridiculous, after using many Nokia phones with amoled screens.

You can find a photo of my problem somewhere in the beginning of this thread along with some advices about display app that I have discovered.

Anyway, my new screen is coming on Wednesday along with orange back which wasn't available with my operator on the day of purchase. Now I will have unique phone with black frame and orange back!

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I only have 1 serious complaint so far (1 month ownership): I took over 2k pictures during my vacation and found the camera distorts outside the center. I am not talking about the corners, but people off the center have wider heads and bigger bellys than in real life. I know this is somewhat normal for cameras, but i think the issue is worse than what's acceptable. Did i get a faulty unit or is this a general issue?
Edit: Looking at the pictures again this appears to be a bigger issue with pictures taken up close.

Faar126

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
AT DJCBS... my L930 is build on the 20/6 2014 hardware version 2.0.0.0 and the headphone jack is off center. It's to far to the back of the phone and a bit to the right. It's functional though. My micro USB in the bottom is also a bit towards the back of the phone, which sometimes gets the USB plug caught on the upper edge of the connector. Camera is misaligned to the bottom left, if you are looking straight upon the lens. Also lens glass is at an angle, being lower on the side where the flash is.

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I live in Brazil, the HTC One will probably never get here officially and legally.
I like the Nokia stuff too, but I feel that Nokia did a really poor job with the Lumia 930, and it's a really expensive phone.

I bought the Lumia 930 yesterday. The first two hours I used it the right side of the phone got very hot, but now it is normal. I don't have any of the issues described in this forum. I am very content with the phone (if it stays like this).

Eric369

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Lumia 930 yesterday. The first two hours I used it the right side of the phone got very hot, but now it is normal. I don't have any of the issues described in this forum. I am very content with the phone (if it stays like this).

Do you bought the phone from eBay or from some local store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo