Nokia Lumia 930 Bugs and Defects

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
if i am not mistaken (ive deinstalled display setting as soon as i bought l930) a display update was relased on 05.09.2014 (according to lumia system check) so ive installed it only to find out that it didnt solved anything. in fact it only made things worse.. with no diplay setting i didnt have backlight bleed or purple hue but now i do.
i dont Know is it a hardware or software issue but fact is (at least for my phone) that black was black and purple hue was not that much visible. but now, its awfull. gonna deinstall it again

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Set date to 12.09.2300 then just tap display in settings. Due to the certificate expiration it will give you option to unistall it

Durri76

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I have a problem with the Lumia 930, the phone does not ring. I use the ringtone from the factory. The phone does not ring even though it ring through the site windowsphone.com, only vibrating.
Still does not play ringtones on the phone ... movies have a sound, but no ringing. If I take the phone off, and than on, the phone ringig...but then again not... :( OS win. 8.1

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I have a problem with the Lumia 930, the phone does not ring. I use the ringtone from the factory. The phone does not ring even though it ring through the site windowsphone.com, only vibrating.
Still does not play ringtones on the phone ... movies have a sound, but no ringing. If I take the phone off, and than on, the phone ringig...but then again not... :( OS win. 8.1

You've checked the ringtone volume, right? Because on 8.1 it's separate from the media volume.
If you didn't overlook this (hey, it may happen to anyone!) then I'd suggest you a factory reset. If that still doesn't work, then you'll have to take it to a Care Centre I'm afraid.

2uiam

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
AT 2uiam.....thx. Mine is from the same date. That means they produced perfect ones on the same day, funny.

Today I was using IE continuosly for a longer time and the right side of the phone got hot as is described in this forum. But it cools down fast. I had the impression that the battery emptied faster as well.

Another issue I found is that when I press the back button the menu of the app that I am using, opens instead of returning to the former page. When I press the back button again the menu closes and only after a third time the former page opens. This doesn't happen always but regularly.

When I bought my Lumia 720 it crashed randomly on a regular basis and I needed to do a soft reset to start the phone again. Back then I reached out to Nokia via twitter and they informed me it would be solved with the "black" update. I hope that the issues with the Lumia 930 will be solved with the "denim" update.

Last edited:

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I will not discuss iPhones here, those are good phones. Anyway, power button is deeper after screen+frame change and obviously it is a mans mistake for not setting it properly, but I'm a bit sick of going back to service centre and waiting for my phone, again.

I get that. It's a real pain when they can't fix something right, and take too long doing it, then you don't want to go back and go through it all again.

Maybe try Nokia/Microsoft themselves, put in a complaint and question having the phone replaced for the inconvenience.

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
So I'm onto my second NL930. Once again the screen isn't sitting flush with the frame, and this one is worse (Though funnily enough it’s more consistently/uniformly worse so it annoys me less.), and there are thankfully no ‘Factory Scratches’ on the frame or the screen.

This 930 is suffering from the “Resuming…” bug though, and has weird battery drain problems. About a week after I got it I noticed that it would randomly run hot, with a battery discharge of between 30% 60% per hour. I’ve opened all my apps, removed all apps I can live without, I’ve soft reset, I’ve hard reset (loaded a backup and started my phone from scratch), I’ve flashed the firmware, and no matter what it keeps happening. I’ve been told it’s a Cortana thing, but with Cortana’s live tile off my home screen I still seem to be getting weird battery drain.

The annoying thing is, my first 930 didn’t have this issue, so I effectively traded in a phone in poor cosmetic condition for a phone in decent cosmetic condition but in poor hardware condition. I haven’t spoken to Nokia about this round of issues, but I imagine I’ll be without a phone for two weeks…

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm sick of repairs ATM. I'm making battery tests these days. Let's see if I can squeeze more than 10 hours from 930? My goal is 18 hours.
Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

Faar126

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thx to Shodan for the tip about reinstalling display app. It's more convenient than resetting the phone.

I deinstalled display app again. The blacks are perfect. But with a grey png you still notice the display being discolored at the bottom and a certain stripe like pattern on the whole display, as paint applied with a brush, uneven.

How do you set the phone to not automatically update the display app again?

This has become a rather depressing thread I think. Would the display quality be any better on other phones i.e. the iPhone? I never felt the need to look at pngs to check my screen quality before😊 Guess the question boils down to, have I become too sensitive by following this thread? 😊

Vispen74

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
had issues with first.. wifi and calls dropping..
got my second..
email wont sync..
just gave it back..
no more 930s for me..

Same here about Wifi, but my Wifi won't drop, it just tells me "no internet" and therefore the WiFi symbol is gone from screen. Reboot makes it work again.

Conodihno

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Just put word out to the store where I bought my NL930 that I do not like the screen flicker on a 2g signal and that the bottom half of my screen seems lighter than the upper half.... Think I have to send it back on monday to them.

Also got the option to let it run through Nokia. Back to the 820 I guess.

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Second L930 here.The first one had the purple tint issue and also had bad proximity sensor so I couldn't end a call or use the keyboard while in a call. I had it replaced and the second one still have the tint issue.

It's a known issue and what bothers me alot is the silence from Nokia and Miscrosoft. Really.. This is bad...

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's a known issue and what bothers me alot is the silence from Nokia and Miscrosoft. Really.. This is bad...

Microsoft (Nokia is no longer responsible for anything Lumia-related) has already acknowledge the purple problem. They've a fix "coming soon". I was told by a Microsoft employee that it should be here with "Denim" if not before.

Last edited:

Faar126

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thx to Shodan for the tip about reinstalling display app. It's more convenient than resetting the phone.

I deinstalled display app again. The blacks are perfect. But with a grey png you still notice the display being discolored at the bottom and a certain stripe like pattern on the whole display, as paint applied with a brush, uneven.

How do you set the phone to not automatically update the display app again?

This has become a rather depressing thread I think. Would the display quality be any better on other phones i.e. the iPhone? I never felt the need to look at pngs to check my screen quality before😊 Guess the question boils down to, have I become too sensitive by following this thread? 😊

Might just as well come up with some answers myself😊

Setting for automatic/manual update for apps is in windows store under the three dots, should some one need to know.

I read some threads on AMOLED. Sounds like a lot of what we are talking about here is inherent to the technology itself. I.e. the 1020 apparently has black artifacts on black screens, so my blacks being black on the L930 without display app update is actually fantastic.
A lot of common inherent flaws of AMOLED are mentioned in forum threads regarding Samsung products.
The whole AMOLED-thing reminds me of the good old days 15 years back, where you had to pray not to have any dead pixels on your brand new laptop screen😊

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Well my replacement came in, and it's back cover is lifted in the same area, more than mine. The screen is also raised but in the top left corner, as opposed to the bottom right which seems more common. One of the store workers has one too which has the same issue on the back. With this, and what I have read online, it seems to be a manufacturing/build quality issue and I'm highly unlikely to get a phone with no issues.
The store didn't offer another phone, and I didn't bother asking, I just said I'll keep the original and see how it goes as it's better than the replacement offered. I've got 11 months warranty left so if it gets worse I'll put it in and see what they can do. Screen (other than slight raise at bottom right, very minor), camera, battery are all great, so I don't want to chance getting something worse in those areas also.
The repair centre isn't too far away so the turnaround time shouldn't be too long. I might contact Microsoft Australia and see what they have to say.
I'll see what the next batch of Windows Phones has to offer now that Nokia no longer make phones. If Microsoft's first offering on their own isn't much I may just cut my Windows Phone experience short and go back to an iPhone.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The backlight on my search button stopped working correctly. The back and home button light up as expected, but the search button stays dim. Lovely.

Eric369

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft (Nokia is no longer responsible for anything Lumia-related) has already acknowledge the purple problem. They've a fix "coming soon". I was told by a Microsoft employee that it should be here with "Denim" if not before.

Do you think that the purple flickering in the camera will be solved with the next update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos